Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 08:29 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,355 times

Advertisements

I don't get it, in our office we started going to the gym on lunch break. Although we do our own routine we often ask each other what were going to do. Every time I mentioned weights I'm bombarded with "Oh you'll get big!" or "Bulk up."

Being female I expect other females to say this but I've even had guys say this to me as well. Even when I try to explain it to them I am met with stares and silence.

However I always chuckle to myself when they make comments about how "strong" I am when I carry or lift heavy/awkward items
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 09:09 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
A lot of women and some men are very ignorant when it comes to weights. Also there is an intimidation factor. Seeing a bunch of weights and never using them before can be scary, as it should be. No one should start using them without some sort of guidance. The risk of injury is too great.
Also it is easier to make invalid excuses than to actually exercise!
Maybe you could offer to get people started and show them proper form. It can get quite addicting.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:28 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,355 times
We all have our own styles likes and dislikes, I just find it quite odd that I would get these comments. Personally I feel much more accomplished when I lift heavy.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:36 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
I personally have mixed feelings on weights (this doesn't mean I don't lift heavy). For some of us, certain body types are already "big" in an annoying way. So we really don't want them to get any bigger.

For me: thighs and arms are my problem children. I have muscular ones anyway. And they make it difficult to fit certain types of clothing. So I am very aware of any increase in size: muscle or not.

Usually the excuse is something like "you just have too much, fat. You won't get bulky." But in reality, for me it is a delicate balance. I get size pretty easily. Even with innocuous activities like stairs.

So I just switch all the time. Heavy weights, light weights and body weight. I like lifting weights, feeling stronger, and surprising people with my strength. I don't need any extra size on my thighs. (Mine are pretty "firm." but they are just bigger.)

For other people, without discrepancies in proportion, this isn't a problem at all. But you'll hear the loudest complaints from people like me.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:26 PM

865 posts, read 2,502,155 times
For the vast majority of women, "bulking up" or "getting big" is a groundless concern. Women's bodies typically do not respond to weight training in this way. The truth is a VERY intensive program that includes supplements is typically needed for women to achieve that type of result. You will "tone up" and will get stronger; but you will lose weight due to an increased metabolism and not "bulk up".

Old 08-25-2012, 07:14 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
For the vast majority of women, "bulking up" or "getting big" is a groundless concern. Women's bodies typically do not respond to weight training in this way. The truth is a VERY intensive program that includes supplements is typically needed for women to achieve that type of result. You will "tone up" and will get stronger; but you will lose weight due to an increased metabolism and not "bulk up".
So true. I am a "mature" woman - started lifting a few months ago 2 - 3 times per week and am getting nicely toned which I love. I really love the look of sculpted toned arms. My legs are well-toned due to years of bike riding. Women's muscles are too small to "bulk up" plus we don't have testosterone. It's nice to feel strong - strong is the new thin!

Old 08-25-2012, 10:49 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
I don't lift freeweights because I'm not very well-coordinated. However, I do use the machines in the gym at least three days a week, along with my cardio. I use "girlie" dumb-bells to hold and stretch my arms up when I'm doing my walking lunges across the floor. But other than Arnold-curls (which took me several sessions of practice before I figured out how to do them right), I stick with the weight machines.

By the way: Women absolutely positively do have testosterone. I'm not sure where you got the idea that we don't have it. It comes from our ovaries, and in tiny amounts, from our adrenal glands. So even if you have your ovaries surgically removed, your body would still produce small amounts of it.

Also women -can- bulk up. Check any muscle magazine in publication and you'll see dozens of photos of bulked women.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:58 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

Also women -can- bulk up. Check any muscle magazine in publication and you'll see dozens of photos of bulked women.
The typical response to this is that "they are using steroids." So I am going to pre-emptively counter with someone like Serena Williams. She is totally one of my fitspirations, since I am definitely built more like her. But for many people she is "bulky."

Old 08-25-2012, 12:23 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Women who are 'bulked up' without the use of steroids are lifting a lot of weights and devoting most of their life to their bodies. They are at the gym for hours on end. And they are still not bulky. They have nicely sculpted muscles. That takes a lot of work not only in the gym but a proper diet for their goals.
The average woman is never going to bulk up unless she takes steroids and lifts like crazy.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:35 AM

1,316 posts, read 2,465,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildnFree View Post
I don't get it, in our office we started going to the gym on lunch break. Although we do our own routine we often ask each other what were going to do. Every time I mentioned weights I'm bombarded with "Oh you'll get big!" or "Bulk up."

Being female I expect other females to say this but I've even had guys say this to me as well. Even when I try to explain it to them I am met with stares and silence.

However I always chuckle to myself when they make comments about how "strong" I am when I carry or lift heavy/awkward items
Good on you that you do weights! I force myself but I really don't enjoy the burn very much. I was working with a nutritionist on weight loss and was able to lose 20 lbs. Before I started the diet the doctor put me on a machine to measure the percentage of body fat I had and it was a whopping 34% which for my size 5 body, is a lot. When I lost the 20 lbs. I thought for sure I must has lost a lot of body fat. I lost a ton of inches everywhere but guess what? Only lost 5% of that body fat. I was shocked! The doctor told me in order to lose more body fat, I need to do resistance/weights so I have incorporated into a my exercise regiment three times a week and cardio 4 times a week. I am 5'4" and weight 125 lbs. and you would never think I had a high percentage of fat by looking at me. I've learned it doesn't matter how you look and people heavier than me may heavier lower body fat. Women, especially as they age, need to do weights. I don't want heart problems so this fat has got to go! I moan and groan to myself but I get it done so that is great that you like it. You burn a lot of calories doing weight training. Probably more than cardio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss