Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 12:45 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,177,954 times

Advertisements

Has anyone heard this term?

I was telling a freind (who works at a hospital) that people in my office bring in stuff a lot. They bring in things they bake...not necessarily for the office, but as experiments, leftovers, etc. They also bring in stuff like leftover Halloween candy, stuff from parties, and sometimes boxes of donuts just becuase they felt like.

My friend said..."Oh, their dumping calories"....in otherwords offloading food that they wouldnt ordinarily eat at home.

Has anyone heard of this term, or had similar experiences in the workplace?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 01:40 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,840,533 times
I am guilty of that. I would never eat donuts but I would bring some from time to time for co-workers because they keep bringing stuff & I dont want to appear stingy. Its more during the holidays. I wish I could find cheap healthy treats for them. But a cookie platter is much more convenient, attractive & cheap. I have been seriously thinking about boycotting this type of food altogether. If I consider some foods harmful & wont eat it, I should not buy it for someone else either. Its especially tempting for people trying to loose pounds. Baking experiments are the worst. It seems more like they want feedback for their cooking, judging by how much is leftover at end of the day.

But a lot of them do mean well & want to share the joy of the holidays through treats. I appreciate their gesture & would eat it to make them feel good.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:24 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post

I've never heard that term but the practice of bringing in extra Halloween candy to work has been around forever, and it makes sense to bring it in to reduced the temptation of eating it at home. Besides, the fatter the people at work get, the thinner you look.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:35 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Has anyone heard this term?

I was telling a freind (who works at a hospital) that people in my office bring in stuff a lot. They bring in things they bake...not necessarily for the office, but as experiments, leftovers, etc. They also bring in stuff like leftover Halloween candy, stuff from parties, and sometimes boxes of donuts just becuase they felt like.

My friend said..."Oh, their dumping calories"....in otherwords offloading food that they wouldnt ordinarily eat at home.

It's a daily occurence at my workplace.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:46 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,109,941 times
Funny you mention that...I just raided leftover candy someone brought in. Yum.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:54 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,659,374 times
Not the phrase, but the idea - absolutely.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:55 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,973,982 times
I've never heard it referred to that way, but I absolutely used to do it! I love to bake but eating every thing I bake is not feasible unless I want to weight 300 pounds. So I'd set aside enough for me and my boyfriend and bring the rest to work. The guys where generally appreciative. Now that I work from home I bake less because I know it will just go to waste.

I'll be dumping my halloween calories/candy at the campaign I'm volunteering for tomorrow.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:48 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Coming from the perspective of a two person household, I can understand why people bring extra baked goods to work - if I want to cook or bake something that makes multiple servings, if I can't freeze or store it for future eating, I have to either throw it away or find someone to give it to.

When I was working, I often brought something I'd baked to the office. It was a common practice among all of us.

We knew of several coworkers who had larger families or a dire financial situation. Privately they would often be encouraged to take the leftovers home - which they did so gladly.

I guess it's all a matter of perspective - some will look at it positively, as generosity and cameraderie, and others will look at it as if it has sinister motives.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:24 PM

559 posts, read 1,395,157 times
This is the first time I've heard of this term. People at my job do this all the time though. They do this with Halloween candy and leftover baked goods that they bought, received as a gift or made at home.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:41 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,177,954 times
I used to bring stuff in from my travels...if I was in a different city and found a local bakery or candy store Id bring stuff in.

The problem with this for me is my lack of self-control, and that I would never eat this stuff at home or even buy it at the store, but I will at the office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss