Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 07:56 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,269,659 times

Advertisements

Killer at Large: Why Obesity is America's Greatest Threat

Obesity causes 110,000 American deaths each year and plays a role in one-third of all cancer deaths. Yet, despite ballooning concerns, little is being done on the public policy level, as this probing documentary explains. Exploring the issue from individual, political, scientific and cultural perspectives, the film features appearances by Bill Clinton, Ralph Nader, Arnold Schwarzenegger, former Surgeon General Richard Carmona and others.

Another netflix instant to watch

It is really good.
I thought it was really fantastic that Arnold Schwarzenegger got the junk food out of schools. I was at the age when they just started bringing those thing into schools and I did notice that kids were getting fatter. At that age I never thought of it really. But I flipped through the old yearbooks. Its kinda scary in a way....

But anyway..that is the only part I will spoil for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 08:07 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
This is a huge challenge.

There is a process triangle for any activity: Fast, Cheap, Correct.

I can do anything you want. Pick any two of those attributes.

Fast and Cheap? It won't be correct.
Fast and Correct? It won't be cheap.
Correct and Cheap? It won't be fast.

Thinking out loud....

It's possible that since food is cheap and time is expensive that food eaten by more people isn't "correct". If you had more time (or someone paid you to spend more time to eat, like to sit in a high quality restaurant versus sitting in the fast food lane in your car) and more money (to afford high quality food), then perhaps it would be easier to eat healthier. For example, It's a lot easier to eat vegetables that are gourmet prepared than to east just plain vegetables.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:40 AM

Did you watch it yet?

LOL @ the triangle...It made me think of cars and clothing too...Thats funny in the way it almost always works because all humans are greedy....

I disagree on the plain vegetable not being better. Overeating is not cheap. So the cost of being on a calorie cut diet with quality can be the same cost or maybe cheaper. It just about change and finding where to cut corners.

"Fast" "Correct" "Cheap"can be an opinion based on enviroment and individual.
Its all about changing your values.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:11 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
"Fast" "Correct" "Cheap"can be an opinion based on enviroment and individual. Its all about changing your values.
You hit the nail on the head. That is EXACTLY what it's about.

Personally, I think it's much cheaper, faster, and more correct to prepare my own healthy meals at home. Eating out for us is really a rarity. And to be honest, my son would rather me prepare his lunch, than eat that junk at school, any day of the week. And I do...every day. It simply requires a change of perspective, of values, and of goals.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:29 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,967,745 times
Obesity - its always the white elephant in the room when it comes to forum topics. Try to mention it in a critical real-world down to earth way and those who are obese attack you by saying "its mean spirited" or "youre fat bashing". Its like they ONLY want to talk about it if you treat them with the love, hand holding and delicacy as you would a mother who just buried her babies.

I really hate it when people try to blame corporations, government, fast food etc. for the obesity problem. The finger should be pointed at those who are themselves obese. Sure there may be a few who are obese due to genetics or health issues, but those are few. Almost all people you see who are obese are that way due to 1) poor diet; 2) not exercising and 3) both 1 and 2 and being stupid.

If you are obese, blame yourself. Dont blame McDonalds, the makers of Coke, or anyone else. Dont blame your health issues on it either. "Oh Im fat because Im a diabetic" or "Im fat because its a side effect of some of the medications that I take".

I am healthy because I workout and I watch what I eat. I still have the occasional beer, ice cream, or big slice of someone's birthday cake. But because I am pretty good about my diet and workout, I have basically NEVER had to take any type of medications and I rarely ever get sick.

Obesity is a threat because we dont stress health in elementary schools. So many obese righteous do-gooders complain about the fat kids' inability to do basic exercise so they force everyone else to NOT do certain exercises because the fat parents' fat kids will complain. Parents also need to make the health of their children their number one priority. Unfortunately, many do not.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:12 AM

92 posts, read 512,567 times
Obesity causes 110,000 American deaths a year?

Automobile accidents kill less than 50,000 people a year, but somehow, I have known several people who died in a car accident, but I have never known anyone who died of obesity.

Sure, I've known fat people who have died, but there was always another cause of death. In fact, some fat people even die in car accidents!

I always wonder how they come up with these numbers.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:48 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,555,130 times
No one dies from being obese; they die from complications that arose because of obesity. Diabetes is on the rise in this country, and it's well known that obesity is a trigger of adult onset diabetes. If someone dies of diabetes and they're also obese, we can say their obesity predisposed them to get diabetes, but diabetes is still listed as cause of death.

I know it's splitting hairs, but what kind of statistics are there about not only the most immediate cause of death, but also the underlying factors? Obesity also contributes to the risk of heart attack, stroke, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, gout, osteoarthritis, knee problems, etc. Some of these aren't life threatening, but they are debilitating.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:27 PM

92 posts, read 512,567 times
Correlation does not equal causation.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Obesity - its always the white elephant in the room when it comes to forum topics. Try to mention it in a critical real-world down to earth way and those who are obese attack you by saying "its mean spirited" or "youre fat bashing". Its like they ONLY want to talk about it if you treat them with the love, hand holding and delicacy as you would a mother who just buried her babies.

I really hate it when people try to blame corporations, government, fast food etc. for the obesity problem. The finger should be pointed at those who are themselves obese. Sure there may be a few who are obese due to genetics or health issues, but those are few. Almost all people you see who are obese are that way due to 1) poor diet; 2) not exercising and 3) both 1 and 2 and being stupid.

If you are obese, blame yourself. Dont blame McDonalds, the makers of Coke, or anyone else. Dont blame your health issues on it either. "Oh Im fat because Im a diabetic" or "Im fat because its a side effect of some of the medications that I take".

I am healthy because I workout and I watch what I eat. I still have the occasional beer, ice cream, or big slice of someone's birthday cake. But because I am pretty good about my diet and workout, I have basically NEVER had to take any type of medications and I rarely ever get sick.

Obesity is a threat because we dont stress health in elementary schools. So many obese righteous do-gooders complain about the fat kids' inability to do basic exercise so they force everyone else to NOT do certain exercises because the fat parents' fat kids will complain. Parents also need to make the health of their children their number one priority. Unfortunately, many do not.
Because you know what to eat etc.

You should study the additive halo effect of these types of foods. I think you will find it interesting. I got myself under control too..But then I look at kids...or parents who "diet" for themselves and don't make it a family change because kids can freak out on that.

I totally agree with you on your final paragraph.

I do not think this film is fat bashing or blaming anyone. Its just pointing out all the reasons why its so easy to get fat in this country. We are all going to end up paying for it.

Did you watch the film?

Old 08-09-2009, 04:37 PM

36 posts, read 91,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
101% agree! You are what you eat. Don't point the guilty finger to anyone else! Regardless of how many McDonalds or Coke they set right in front of you, if you have the discipline to avoid them knowing that they are not healthy for you, you can say NO to these kind of foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss