Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2013, 07:54 AM

326 posts, read 704,503 times

Advertisements

This is a controversial paper that just came out about debunking 7 dietary myths - such as having to eat your breakfast, small changes to a diet makes a difference and others.

Here is the actual article:
MMS: Error

And the New york times right up about it:
Myths of Weight Loss Are Plentiful, Researcher Says - NYTimes.com

Debunk findings include:
Sex does not burn as many calories as we think
Fruits and vegetables alone do not lead to weight loss
physical education classes do not stave off obesity
Breast feeding does not prevent obesity
Large rapid weight loss does not have long term effects on health
Goal setting does not impact weight loss success
Skipping/eating breakfast has negligible long term effects
and many others

However, several of the authors are strongly tied to the food and drug industries. But I think the take home message is take nothing as fact without seeing the data to back it up...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 05:57 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,803,986 times
I'm just going to take on one of these for now:

Quote:
Breast feeding does not prevent obesity
My own experience certainly bears this out. When my younger dd was born she weighed 7-1/2 lbs, but within 3 weeks I had relatives begging me to put her on a diet. Naturally I was puzzled as to how one puts a breastfed baby on a diet so I didn't, but she has struggled with her weight all of her life. She has always eaten healthy food but probably in a larger quantity than other children and when I expressed my milk with a pump at work, I filled each bottle 50% more with her than with my older dd. Still, it was hard to tell that she was eating more than other kids as she was growing up b/c the difference is subtle and naturally she resents the fact that her slim friends can eat anything they want and never gain weight while she has to watch it. Her dad was an overweight child and my g-mother was too so genetics were probably a factor.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:28 AM

865 posts, read 2,502,366 times
There is always a problem with studies in this area. But don't throw everything out based on one sentence sound bites. For example: Yes a recent study showed that kids in PE were often LESS active at home, so the overall impact of PE on student weight/fitness was negligible. But that doesn't come anywhere close to demonstrating that physical activity has no impact on weight and obesity. Anecdotally, if you are of baby boomer age you can probably recall being outdoors and really playing physically at a much greater rate than kids today that sit in front of a screen for their "play". And yes, childhood obesity was less common back then. From a research standpoint, the article cited above still confirmed that "exercise helps with weight maintainance"; listing it under FACTS - GOOD EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT.

I guess I'm saying don't accept ANY one line sound bite answers. Just because it show up as a "myth" in the latest news blurb doesn't mean it isn't still a good idea. I still would rather see PE programs expanded, along with art, music, and industrial arts (shop). But that's a discussion for another thread!

Old 02-02-2013, 06:44 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
There is always a problem with studies in this area. But don't throw everything out based on one sentence sound bites. For example: Yes a recent study showed that kids in PE were often LESS active at home, so the overall impact of PE on student weight/fitness was negligible. But that doesn't come anywhere close to demonstrating that physical activity has no impact on weight and obesity. Anecdotally, if you are of baby boomer age you can probably recall being outdoors and really playing physically at a much greater rate than kids today that sit in front of a screen for their "play". And yes, childhood obesity was less common back then. From a research standpoint, the article cited above still confirmed that "exercise helps with weight maintainance"; listing it under FACTS - GOOD EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT.

I guess I'm saying don't accept ANY one line sound bite answers. Just because it show up as a "myth" in the latest news blurb doesn't mean it isn't still a good idea. I still would rather see PE programs expanded, along with art, music, and industrial arts (shop). But that's a discussion for another thread!
This, this, a thousand times this. One-line sound-bites are great for media sensationalism, tabloid journalism, and pulp fiction novels. Well they're also good to reel in the suckers who are swimming around the fish-tank of desperation, begging for a juicy morsel. Then they find out it's all flavoring, and no substance - but by that time they've already starved themselves to death.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:15 AM

Great points - I don't think the media gets how destructive one line sounds bites really are. Quick, easy to remember and probably dead wrong leading to who knows what kind of trouble.

After looking into the original article in greater detail I am a bit shocked at the laziness of the authors. A total of 33 papers cited! For a review that is shocking! A review covering this many topics should easily be in the 100 papers range. What annoyed me is they claim "Adding Fruits and vegetables to the diet does not cause weight loss". Whether that is true or not is beside the point that they made this claim on the basis of one 2004 relatively small review article. Truly frustrating that this publication is not worth the digital paper its printed on and yet it is getting so much press

Old 02-02-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciameriken View Post
Great points - I don't think the media gets how destructive one line sounds bites really are. Quick, easy to remember and probably dead wrong leading to who knows what kind of trouble.

After looking into the original article in greater detail I am a bit shocked at the laziness of the authors. A total of 33 papers cited! For a review that is shocking! A review covering this many topics should easily be in the 100 papers range. What annoyed me is they claim "Adding Fruits and vegetables to the diet does not cause weight loss". Whether that is true or not is beside the point that they made this claim on the basis of one 2004 relatively small review article. Truly frustrating that this publication is not worth the digital paper its printed on and yet it is getting so much press
It's more like a red herring situation. Consider this statement:
"Adding fruits and vegetables to the diet does not cause weight loss."

Well, that's true. Adding ANYTHING to the diet doesn't cause weight loss. Thing is, no one ever claimed it did. No one claims that *adding* something to your existing menu will cause you to lose weight. The statement, as it stands, also makes the assumption that you're not already consuming fruits and vegetables. So if you already ARE consuming fruits and vegetables, the weight should be melting off already. Logical fallacies are lots of fun, until someone takes them seriously.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It's more like a red herring situation. Consider this statement:
"Adding fruits and vegetables to the diet does not cause weight loss."

Well, that's true. Adding ANYTHING to the diet doesn't cause weight loss. Thing is, no one ever claimed it did. No one claims that *adding* something to your existing menu will cause you to lose weight. The statement, as it stands, also makes the assumption that you're not already consuming fruits and vegetables. So if you already ARE consuming fruits and vegetables, the weight should be melting off already. Logical fallacies are lots of fun, until someone takes them seriously.
Hehe I'd say you are pretty much right - -to be fair to them, this one was listed as a "presumption" that being the fruits/vegetable is filling you up keeping you from eating something that presumably would make you fat

Old 02-04-2013, 01:10 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciameriken View Post
Hehe I'd say you are pretty much right - -to be fair to them, this one was listed as a "presumption" that being the fruits/vegetable is filling you up keeping you from eating something that presumably would make you fat
I read an anecdote once about a woman who was lamenting that she was gaining weight with Slim Fast. It turned out that she was drinking one of the meal replacement shakes along with her usual meals!

Old 02-04-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I read an anecdote once about a woman who was lamenting that she was gaining weight with Slim Fast. It turned out that she was drinking one of the meal replacement shakes along with her usual meals!
And just like the class action suit against Skechers for their Toneups, because apparently, some idiot actually believed they could go to bed wearing the sneakers and wake up weighing less, or some remarkably stupid thing.

So - to sum it all up:

Eating too much will make you gain weight and be unhealthy.
Not eating enough will make you lose weight and be unhealthy.
Exercise is good for you.
Too much exercise is bad for you.
Hot coffee is hot.
There exists no such things as magick shoes that make you lose weight just by wearing them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss