Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 06:41 PM

247 posts, read 751,844 times

Advertisements

I loooooove sugar like an alcoholic loves alcohol. I'm overweight and I have been since birth when I weighted in at 9+ pounds. I did gymnastics for 12 years for hours daily and still remained overweight (not obese).
I've found that I can only lose weight if I do a low carb diet. I also found that it gives me so much energy and my mood is great. However, when I eat sugar I just crash and feel terrible, tired, & moody.

Is this normal or a health issue? I am 28 and never go to the doctor so I'm not sure what to ask for. I've tested my blood sugar and it is always low (<70). Any ideas? I've been told by someone that goes to a homeopathic doctor that my tongue is too white and the yeast growth is keeping me fat. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 08:37 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,112,010 times
Its normal if you have a malfunctioning insulin response, that is, you are becoming diabetic....but otherwise it isn't normal.

By "sugar" I assume you mean refined sugar and its just empty calories so if it makes you feel bad don't eat it. But that doesn't mean you should forgo other high carbohydrate foods, whole grains, etc.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:14 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,820,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach_B View Post
I've tested my blood sugar and it is always low (<70). Any ideas? I've been told by someone that goes to a homeopathic doctor that my tongue is too white and the yeast growth is keeping me fat. Any thoughts?
You're probably tired b/c it sounds like you're hypoglycemic, the opposite of diabetes and yet a prediabetic state. You're smart to stay off the carbs. As for your white tongue, have you tried brushing it with your toothbrush? Is your mom diabetic?

Old 02-06-2013, 03:47 AM

17,431 posts, read 16,602,825 times
I don't think you have to be overweight or prediabetic to experience the blood sugar swings associated with a "white carb" diet. And I don't think you have to be an out of shape, middle aged person to benefit from a lower carb diet. We *ALL* benefit from healthy, natural foods.

Since you're overweight, you should focus on tightening up your diet (no junk), exercising and dropping some of those pounds. Since your blood sugar seems to be running on the lower side be sure that you are eating enough (good carbs included), familiarize yourself with the signs/symptoms of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and learn how it can be prevented.

Agree that brushing your tongue will help with that white coating you're experiencing.

Last edited by springfieldva; 02-06-2013 at 04:18 AM..

Old 02-06-2013, 06:01 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,821,202 times
Go to an actual real doctor to find out why you have a white coating on your tongue. You -might- have a raging case of thrush, which can be very easily and quickly treated with meds. Eating sugar can exacerbate it, but -not- consuming foods that have sugar in them can create blood sugar problems in people who are hypoglycemic.

Thrush (oral yeast infection) doesn't cause obesity. It can be miserable regardless and there's no reason to suffer from it when it's so quickly relieved.

In the meantime, while you're waiting for your appointment (which you will make, today), eliminate any foods that have sugar ADDED to them specifically to make them sweet. So, if you want one piece of bread, and bread is made with a little sugar to activate the yeast, but it's not a bread meant to be sweet, then that one piece is okay. On the other hand, a slice of brown-sugar cinnamon raisin bread would be an example of - not okay.

You can enjoy 1-2 pieces of fruit per day, max, at least for now. 3-4 large strawberries would count as 1 piece of fruit. A palmful of blueberries count as 1 piece. A medium banana is 1 piece, half a grapefruit is 1 piece. Oranges, apples, pears, tangerines, tomatoes, all count as 1 piece. 1 slice of melon = 1 piece. You get the idea.

You should be eating plenty of fresh vegetables - any that -can- be eaten raw, should be eaten raw. The rest should be either steamed, baked, broiled, or *lightly* sauteed in a little butter and/or olive oil.

You -might- need to gradually add a little more carbs to your diet, but let a doctor work with you to determine that. You sound like you might be experiencing one of the more unfortunate side-effects of an ultra-low-carb diet.

Don't go to a homeopathic doctor until you've been to a mainstream doctor first. Homeopaths are *not* licensed diagnosticians. You need to find out what's WRONG with you first. Once you find that out, you can decide who you want treating you (if you need treatment at all).

Old 02-06-2013, 06:54 AM

Op - when are you taking your blood sugar readings? After 8+ hours of fasting? 2 hours after a meal? At random times throughout the day? How low exactly are your readings going? 70's are still in normal range.

Do you have any carbs in your diet at all? I think you need to add some in. Veggies and fruit especially.

I don't eat bread/pasta and my blood sugar stays between low 80's to 107. No diabetes meds. I eat veggies and/or fruit with every meal - even breakfast.

Last edited by springfieldva; 02-06-2013 at 07:06 AM..

Old 02-06-2013, 11:00 AM

247 posts, read 751,844 times
I've tested it at various times, after meals, after 9 hours of sleep, etc. it's been anywhere from 50-75 but never higher.

I was on antibiotics for 4 years so that is why the lady said it could be yeast making be crave sugar and always feel tired. Apparently antibiotics are bad at causing it? I brush my toungue so that doesn't make any difference for me.

What kind of doctor should I go to and what should I ask for? I mean, I am fine in the big picture other than the tiredness with sugar.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach_B View Post
I've tested it at various times, after meals, after 9 hours of sleep, etc. it's been anywhere from 50-75 but never higher.

I was on antibiotics for 4 years so that is why the lady said it could be yeast making be crave sugar and always feel tired. Apparently antibiotics are bad at causing it? I brush my toungue so that doesn't make any difference for me.

What kind of doctor should I go to and what should I ask for? I mean, I am fine in the big picture other than the tiredness with sugar.
Yep. You need to go to the doctor with those symptoms. I would just make an appt with the primary and see what he/she says.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:36 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,820,887 times
Quote:
A common sign of thrush is the presence of creamy white, slightly raised lesions in your mouth - usually on your tongue or inner cheeks - but also sometimes on the roof of your mouth, gums, tonsils, or back of your throat. The lesions, which may have a "cottage cheese" appearance, can be painful and may bleed slightly when you scrape them or brush your teeth. In severe cases, the lesions may spread into your esophagus, or swallowing tube
OP, are these your symptoms? You may just need a good probiotic. I would start with the best you can afford.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:58 PM

432 posts, read 1,229,728 times
Go to a doctor, but not the doctor that put you on 4 years of antibotics, he/she doesn't know what they are doing.

Get a full blood tests, ie thyroid, hormones, cholesterol, white blood count (shows any infections),etc, you need to ask for the FULL spectrum as normally they only test for 4-5 things.

Once the results come back follow the doctors orders and also get a printout and take it to a dietitican who can then review and determine what foods that you should be including and taking out of your diet. This will only work if you have the will power though.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss