Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 09:55 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,386,197 times

Advertisements

Just wondering as I start to eat low/no carb to lose some of this Winter weight (and some) to back down a bit.

I am a carb junky, like lots of people, and was wondering how many (little) carbs I can get away with eating and still significant loss in weight?

With my coffee the other day I had a donut in the morning and a bite here or there - or had low carb bites that had only some sugar - and I believe I still lost a couple pounds, eating lots of meat and cheeses.

So how much carbs can I get away with eating then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 10:20 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,839,827 times
First off, do away with the doughnut lol. I went relatively low carb, between 60-100 grams per day and lost weight rapidly. With that said, everything else I ate was whole natural foods with no sugar (aside from a little fruit here and there), no processed junk, quality meats and veggies ruled my plate. I did and do take in more saturated fat than conventional wisdom dictates for energy use instead of the carb/sugar roller coaster. At Christmas I was 6'2 247 lbs and today I am 186 lbs.

I started here, YMMV: Mark's Daily Apple

{cue the detractors}

Old 05-21-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
First off, do away with the doughnut lol. I went relatively low carb, between 60-100 grams per day and lost weight rapidly. With that said, everything else I ate was whole natural foods with no sugar (aside from a little fruit here and there), no processed junk, quality meats and veggies ruled my plate. I did and do take in more saturated fat than conventional wisdom dictates for energy use instead of the carb/sugar roller coaster. At Christmas I was 6'2 247 lbs and today I am 186 lbs.

I started here, YMMV: Mark's Daily Apple

{cue the detractors}
Wow! 61lb since December?! Impressive.

My father told me he lost 40lb (didn't say how long it took) and so I figured I'd give it a try. I'm 6' and at about 205lb at the moment and am shooting for a quick loss to around 180 - I'd like to leave a little extra weight and get some of my muscles developed a little more towards where I was just out of high school a decade ago still actively playing sports (my main sport now is golf).

I have to say though that all the meat is a bit of a turn off to me though, but for the moment I figured I'd give it a try.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:45 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,816,411 times
Forget 'quick loss' if you want to be healthy and have the weight stay off. Shoot for 1 lb or 2 a week. That is the healthiest way to go. You really need to ditch the donuts and any other simple carb food.
All you really need to do is eat a variety of healthy, whole foods. Lots of veggies, lean proteins, complex carbs and watch your portions. Exercise consistently and drink enough water.
Thats the formula for healthy weight loss.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:48 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Forget 'quick loss' if you want to be healthy and have the weight stay off. Shoot for 1 lb or 2 a week. That is the healthiest way to go. You really need to ditch the donuts and any other simple carb food.
All you really need to do is eat a variety of healthy, whole foods. Lots of veggies, lean proteins, complex carbs and watch your portions. Exercise consistently and drink enough water.
^what Lucky said.
You can starve your body of carbs and lose lots of weight. But you won't keep it off. The people I know who yo yo weight wise the most are far and away low carb advocates. They lose lots of weight rapidly and put it right back on rapidly. You can't go the rest of your life without carbs, so it's pointless to throw your system out of whack just to lose a few pounds for a few weeks or months. Think long term.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:54 AM

76 posts, read 127,686 times
If you're going to count carbs, don't do it on a daily basis. Count carbs per meal and try to keep it at less than 20-25 if you really want to focus on weight loss. This means you can have more smaller meals throughout the day (at least 2 hours apart) and not eliminate carbs altogether at any particular meal which will only increase your cravings.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
^what Lucky said.
You can starve your body of carbs and lose lots of weight. But you won't keep it off. The people I know who yo yo weight wise the most are far and away low carb advocates. They lose lots of weight rapidly and put it right back on rapidly. You can't go the rest of your life without carbs, so it's pointless to throw your system out of whack just to lose a few pounds for a few weeks or months. Think long term.
I was actually thinking about this sort of response ("quick loss is bad") before my last post. I have heard quick weight loss is bad and even unhealthy, but my strategy was to do the quick loss method (most/all protein) and shift to a moderation-in-all eating method.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:06 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
I am a carb junky, like lots of people, and was wondering how many (little) carbs I can get away with eating and still significant loss in weight?
It depends on the individual; some people can lose weight eating 100 grams of carbs each day, others have to keep it below 30 or 40 grams to lose weight.

Quote:
but my strategy was to do the quick loss method (most/all protein) and shift to a moderation-in-all eating method.
The low-carb world calls this a "meat fast"; eating nothing but protein for a day or two for some people seems to break a plateau. After a day or two, you go back to your regular way of eating.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:18 AM

As far as grams are concerned, how much - generally speaking, in generic terms - would 100 or so carbs equal (in, say, bread, rice, pasta, etc.)?

I guess I should be worried and mindful of this "meat fast" too.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:37 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,816,411 times
Quote:
As far as grams are concerned, how much - generally speaking, in generic terms - would 100 or so carbs equal (in, say, bread, rice, pasta, etc.)?

I guess I should be worried and mindful of this "meat fast" too.
You should be worried. It is incredibly hard on your body. Again why do you need to lose weight fast? Whatever the reason it is a recipe for failure. Low carb diets work for some, but the majority of people end up failing on them because it is very hard to keep the carb level low enough for it to be effective. If you can see yourself being able to embrace this way of eating for the long haul then go for it, but you need to educate yourself about nutrition, which seems you have a tenuous grasp of at best of.
Whatever way of eating you end up choosing remember that if you cannot commit to it you will end up gaining all the weight you lost. First and foremost should be your health, not pounds lost. Forget quick loss and focus on a sensible, sustainable way to eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss