Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 04:07 AM

432 posts, read 1,228,767 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

I am under Doctors care and getting my thyroid blood tests checked every 6 weeks as my level of medication is still not right so my Doctor keeps adjusting by increasing my dosage slowly.

As you know with an under active thyroid gaining weight is pretty usual. I have done some basic research but can't find either a really good website or a good book that will tell me the best foods to eat or avoid.

Basically I would like to have a diet plan/menu that I can follow to assist me to lose weight starting now so once my levels fall within range. hopefully the weight will start falling too. I am healthy otherwise so don't need diabetes/blood pressure etc, information.

Any assistance is much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 05:38 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2M View Post
Hi Everyone!

I am under Doctors care and getting my thyroid blood tests checked every 6 weeks as my level of medication is still not right so my Doctor keeps adjusting by increasing my dosage slowly.

As you know with an under active thyroid gaining weight is pretty usual. I have done some basic research but can't find either a really good website or a good book that will tell me the best foods to eat or avoid.

Basically I would like to have a diet plan/menu that I can follow to assist me to lose weight starting now so once my levels fall within range. hopefully the weight will start falling too. I am healthy otherwise so don't need diabetes/blood pressure etc, information.

Any assistance is much appreciated!
Just watch your potions, and keep sugars and white starches to a minimum (don't eliminate anything, just cut down on those things like bread, pasta, candy, baked sweets, white grapes) until your levels even out. Otherwise, you won't know if it's your diet or the meds that are doing what they need to do, which could make the med adjustment period take twice as long.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:57 AM

178 posts, read 355,576 times
I agree with what the member has said. Your disease makes your metabolic rate slower down so whatever you eat specially things contain excess of carbohydrates and sugar will mostly consumed as fat resulting in weight gain. reduction in the daily usage of sugar and carbohydrates and a workout routine will help you lose weight.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:22 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,823,755 times
Are you seeing an endocrinologist? They are much more experienced than a gp when it comes to thyroid. Once you get your medication right your thyroid will be a non issue. Just eat a variety of whole fresh foods. Stay away from processed foods and limit sugars. Watch your portions and exercise especially doing some weight lifting.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:54 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Here you go!

Thyroid Mistreatment, Hypothyroidism Scandals, and Thyroid Treatment Problems | Stop The Thyroid Madness

Old 02-19-2013, 06:25 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
Scaremongering propaganda.

Yes, there are some people who shouldn't be taking synthroid. But there are LOTS of people who should. I get my T3s and T4s tested, and the only thing I need is levothyroxine. I don't -have- half of my thyroid - I don't have hypothyroidism or whatever else. I never did. The thyroid I have, is healthy and functioning just fine. The other part, however, was surgically removed because I had a BIG HUGE TUMOR growing on it.

The OP hasn't mentioned WHY he takes thyroid meds, only that he does, and he is experiencing weight gain, and wants to know how to manage that weight problem. He isn't asking for medical advice about his meds, or his condition (which he hasn't even mentioned).

Take your scaremongering somewhere else. It doesn't belong in this thread.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:28 PM

Thanks all of the above posters for your information. I do exercise regularly, keep portions small, not a sweet or snack eater but could cut down on the carbs more. The GP has been working closely with me for the last 15 months and I know that it is a process that takes time. Endocrinologists are not located in the town where I live, I would need to travel over 2 1/2 hours one way to go for an appointment.

My doctor has done all the detailed blood tests to make sure my T3 uptake is right etc. He is only upping my dosage in small intervals as if meds are increased dramatically it can cause more problems that is why I am getting 4-6 weeks blood tests to follow it closely.

I've done research on the thyroid through the thyroid associations etc and have trust that my Doctor is also keeping up to date and is doing the right thing by me as he has been my personal doctor for years and when I ask him about something and he needs to research it he'll even call me up later to discuss. (Medical services are different in Australia then USA - not comparing if better or worse)

I was actually hoping that their was an actual diet menu that I could follow so I could regulate it better then having a guessing game. I honestly am time poor to do heaps of research on what foods contained the good or bad for your thyroid, read all the ingredients and determine if one of those ingredients is bad. I wanted an easier way out by just following a menu plan.

If I can't find those type of resources I know I will need to take the time and research and learn more about food and effects on the body which appears to be more complex then just following a suitable diet plan and menu.

I thank you in advance for any advice on where I could access this information I seek.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

Yes, there are some people who shouldn't be taking synthroid. But there are LOTS of people who should. I get my T3s and T4s tested, and the only thing I need is levothyroxine. I don't -have- half of my thyroid - I don't have hypothyroidism or whatever else. I never did. The thyroid I have, is healthy and functioning just fine. The other part, however, was surgically removed because I had a BIG HUGE TUMOR growing on it.

The OP hasn't mentioned WHY he takes thyroid meds, only that he does, and he is experiencing weight gain, and wants to know how to manage that weight problem. He isn't asking for medical advice about his meds, or his condition (which he hasn't even mentioned).

Just FYI - I am a woman that is going through menopause and have the classic symptoms of under active thyroid - hypothyroidism.

I don't mind reading any type of information re this subject as if you can come away with just one fact that may help is good. For example I did not previously know there has been a lot of debate on soy products with thyroid. As an educated women I will make decisions that are best for me. I must admit that link is opened in a new tab so I haven't look through that information yet.

OP I am glad that they got the tumor and that you are doing ok.

Last edited by back2M; 02-19-2013 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 02-19-2013, 09:45 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,231,963 times
My doc say to stay away from soy, and not to eat cruciferous veggies (brocolli, cauliflower, cabbage etc.) raw, as they inhibit the thyroid.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:08 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

Scaremongering? I take all medical advice with a grain of salt, but there is lots of good info on that site even though it looks a little panicky.

I have heard from many sources that synthroid works better than the generics for some people. But the most valuable piece if info on that site? If you are hypo (and I am) keep trying until you feel normal. Not when your doc thinks you should be feeling normal.

Oh and the tips on soy and raw cabbage/broccoli/etc.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss