Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 08:46 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,769,150 times

Advertisements

Kim in FL..
"You're an idiot for going a 500 calorie a day diet. The effect on your brain cells is evident."

Really? Have you read the thrust of my posts on this forum? I never said I did 500 cal/day every day.
You are nasty, rude little sucker. I happen to play Contract Bridge and Chess - quite well.
I taught myself computer programming (at IBM's request) many years ago and had a hugely successful career in IT.
I have retired - early - to a very comfortable life and have no need for the approval of fools like you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 09:05 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Kim...why so hateful? You obviously hate your job and have tremendous animosity towards the overweight....so why post here?
I do not see Kim as hateful. She just knows what it takes and she has a no nonsense way about her. A good dose of reality is not hurtful, its a wake up call.
People can make excuses or they can solve problems. It really just depends on how much one wants to succeed.

When I was 40 pounds overweight I had 4 young daughters and two jobs. I had enough excuses to fill a book. One day I just got tired of making excuses as to why I couldn't and decided to figure out how I could. I made the necessary adjustments and lost the weight. Was it easy? No. Did I have to make some hard choices? Yes. But what I gained was a new me and major respect from my family. I then became a roll model for my kids. It was and is a great feeling.

We can make excuses or we can make plans. No one says its easy, but it is not impossible. It really just depends on how bad you want it.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:29 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,488,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post

Other to go snacks/quickies:
- protein bars
- nuts
- dried veggies
- meal replacements (watch the cals on this. GNC lean is the lowest cal one I know of)
- hard boiled eggs
Dried veggies? What kinds are good dried, and where do you buy them?

Old 03-08-2013, 09:36 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,488,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I do not see Kim as hateful. She just knows what it takes and she has a no nonsense way about her. A good dose of reality is not hurtful, its a wake up call.
People can make excuses or they can solve problems. It really just depends on how much one wants to succeed.
The phrases she uses like "laying on the couch" and "shoving a burger down your throat" are insulting, demeaning, and belittling.

A dose of reality is great, but the insults are not necessary, and in fact, probably have a negative result. Helping people feel good about themselves on the journey, and feel good about their efforts is usually more helpful than stomping their self esteem into the ground.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:05 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,229,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I work 10 - 12 hours a day with a one hour (each way) commute. This leaves me with 12-14 hours total, 8 of which I am sleeping and two of which I am getting ready for work. This leaves me 2 hours a day to do everything that I need to do including, driving to the post office to get the mail, shopping for food and other necessities, cooking, cleaning, changing sheets, doing laundry, feeding the cats, washing my car, taking out the trash, etc. On my day off (Monday), I have to do *everything* else. If you can find some time for me to "hit the gym three or four times a week", doing two hours of cardio each and swimming, running, yoga, etc., please share that secret with me because you have managed to alter the time/space continuum.

In short, I have a busy life. How I wish I were able to devote umpteen hours of my day to *ME* and *ME ALONE*, but until such time, if any, that I no longer own my own business, that's not realistic.

But thanks anyway.

20yrsinBranson

That's the thing isn't it? You have no time to exercise and you wonder why you're so out of shape. I don't want to come off as sounding unsympathetic, I understand, but have the sense to acknowledgement that not doing enough physical activities are the main reason here.

When I was working at a start-up, I was putting in 60 to 80 hours a week; I sometimes work seven days a week for 12 hours each day; and I still find time to exercise. And it's not just me, many people in the start-up put in fitness time despite working crazy hours. So I don't want to hear any excuses.

Here's how we typically do it: Workout during lunch and bike/jog to work/home. That's it. It's that simple.

Most people have an hour lunch right? Devote half that time to working out, be it running or hitting the gym. Instead of driving all the way to your work, park some distance from work and either bike or jog the rest of the way. One colleague of mine would bike 45 mins each way to/from work everyday. Another colleague would put on sneakers and run for 45 mins each day during lunch and spend the rest of the time eating lunch. The point is, when there is a will, there's a way.

If I were you, I'd workout everyday at lunch time and find 10 to 15 mins at home to do intense cardio workout (there are several short 10-20 mins workout programs out there) everyday. On my one day off I'd do 2-3 hours of endurance exercise. I'd have put in about in about 8-10 hours of exercise each week.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:15 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,750,857 times
Quote:
Being hungry 24 hours a day is taking a toll on my disposition and my ability to focus.
20yrsinBranson
Quote:
Yes. I have been doing a paleo type diet, getting rid of grains and legumes. I eat plenty of meat. LOL Protein (and fiber) isn't a factor. I just am not eating enough at one time to satisfy my hunger. So I am constantly hungry.
20yrsinBranson
Quote:
We really do not have the time to prepare meals at home that often, so eating on the run is very common. I have been avoiding all white bread like the plague. Usually, I will have a burger patty or a chicken breast once a day and I try to eat a salads but fast food salad is brutally awful, or a "naked drink" or a couple or oranges. Other than that, I might cook up some shrimp (no breading) or some beef jerky.

That's pretty much my life, food wise.
20yrsinBranson
Are you sure you are getting enough nutrients from a wide variety of fresh vegetables? Lack of proper nutrients may be effecting your disposition & ability to focus.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:01 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,047,178 times
Dried vegetables as in vegetable chips? Sometimes those contain lots of fat...are you reading labels and looking at the fat/protein/carb numbers and how big a serving is?

Old 03-08-2013, 11:16 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,012,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Kim...why so hateful? You obviously hate your job and have tremendous animosity towards the overweight....so why post here?
Where am I being hateful? Again, you can't handle the fact that I'm telling it like it is..oh, well..not my problem.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:20 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,012,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
The phrases she uses like "laying on the couch" and "shoving a burger down your throat" are insulting, demeaning, and belittling.

A dose of reality is great, but the insults are not necessary, and in fact, probably have a negative result. Helping people feel good about themselves on the journey, and feel good about their efforts is usually more helpful than stomping their self esteem into the ground.

Insulting? Demeaning? Are you kidding me?? The truth is the truth..if you can lift a burger to your mouth, you can excerise. It's that simple. It really is..so..put the burger down and talk a walk.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:22 AM

4,649 posts, read 4,971,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Insulting? Demeaning? Are you kidding me?? The truth is the truth..if you can lift a burger to your mouth, you can excerise. It's that simple. It really is..so..put the burger down and talk a walk.
No, she's not kidding. It's evident to all, and it's tiresome. If you have nothing to offer, why say anything at all? "Put the burger down and take a walk" does not count as something to offer -- last time I checked we weren't in third grade anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss