Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 07:09 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
NOPE if I ate less than 1800 calories while burning well over 2500 a day, this would NOT cause me to lose wieght. Eating MORE is actually NOt the answer here. My body needs to know its not in starvation mode.

You are correct if I was burning 1200 calories a day , while adding 5K to the diet.
I was speaking in general. Your body will also hold onto fat if you are not getting enough calories. Although the body will eventually adapt to that and you would lose weight, though not recommended.
How exactly are you burning 2500 calories a day? It would be just about impossible to burn that amount of calories by walking not unless you walked the entire day and then some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 09:11 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,263,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I was speaking in general. Your body will also hold onto fat if you are not getting enough calories. Although the body will eventually adapt to that and you would lose weight, though not recommended.
How exactly are you burning 2500 calories a day? It would be just about impossible to burn that amount of calories by walking not unless you walked the entire day and then some.
not true, a 45 year old man at my weight burns 1800 calories a day just by breathing. I burn (according to my pedometer) another 700 calories (and sometimes up to 1000 calories) Speed walking at work. Im in sales, I walk between customers.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:42 PM

240 posts, read 586,184 times
Quote:
Yes, Apple cider Vinegar. Hope it works because the other poster was right...its dreadful tasting. Tried 3 tbl spoons before meal. Was almost painful. Maybe I will try this in a more watered down version with some veggies or something. Willing to try it though. Walking and eating right was working last year, this year, much tougher to get results.
I have used this for many years and recently it saved me from having to go to emergency on a Saturday night. I hadn't been using it for awhile and decided to try it.
Twice a day I put 1 1/2 oz in a glass and add 3 0r 4 oz of water with it then chase it with a glass of water and the taste in my mouth is pretty much gone. If I had to drink it straight I would have given it up over 20 years ago.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:37 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Walking as part of your retail sales gig is not "exercise." It's "the minimum you should expect to be able to do if you have both legs and are capable of moving them." If you speed-walk for 10 seconds to get from aisle 12 to the cash register, then stand there for 3 minutes ringing up your customer and putting the items in the bag, that's not exercise. I mean, not unless you're pumping those items in overhead presses or doing squats and arm curls with the cans of peas at the same time.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
not true, a 45 year old man at my weight burns 1800 calories a day just by breathing. I burn (according to my pedometer) another 700 calories (and sometimes up to 1000 calories) Speed walking at work. Im in sales, I walk between customers.
Do not count what you expend as breathing as burning calories. That is your resting metabolic rate.
When you 'speed walk' how long are you doing it? Your pedometer is more than likely off.
You needed sustained movement that keeps your heart pumping for at least 20 minutes.
I am not discounting what you do at work, but I highly doubt you are burning that much. Running for an hour burns 700 calories. Swimming for an hour burns 700 calories. Walking at work, not so much.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Walking as part of your retail sales gig is not "exercise." It's "the minimum you should expect to be able to do if you have both legs and are capable of moving them." If you speed-walk for 10 seconds to get from aisle 12 to the cash register, then stand there for 3 minutes ringing up your customer and putting the items in the bag, that's not exercise. I mean, not unless you're pumping those items in overhead presses or doing squats and arm curls with the cans of peas at the same time.
No, wrong again, between customers, it can be two or 3 hours. You guys don't know what the heck your talking about. This morning, I walked (fast paced) for over 3 hours before I saw my 1st customer. I also move mattress around...My job is a hard work out. I don't put things in a bag, I lift 100-300 pound mattress sets. You CANNOT get 20K steps done my stopping and starting all day. There are no Isles in my location. Im not working at Best buy for God sakes. I don't lift cans of peas...lightest thing I lift are bedframes (30 pounds). In a mattress store, you are lucky to see 4 people in an entire day. I have tons of time to walk/nearly run. My pedometer says I am walking around 3.8 miles an hour.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Do not count what you expend as breathing as burning calories. That is your resting metabolic rate.
When you 'speed walk' how long are you doing it? Your pedometer is more than likely off.
You needed sustained movement that keeps your heart pumping for at least 20 minutes.
I am not discounting what you do at work, but I highly doubt you are burning that much. Running for an hour burns 700 calories. Swimming for an hour burns 700 calories. Walking at work, not so much.
try 3 hours non stop at 3.8 miles an hour. Burning calories is burning calories, even while yoru sleeping. Your body doesn't know the diference. You just burn them much slower at rest. Ask any trainer. I am currently at 1841 steps for the day. both my phone and watch are pedometers (the watch is a little more accurate) and they are only 112 steps apart. I can't run, the trama hurts my old knee injury. I am taking previous posters advice and doing more wieghts before work. We shall see if that confusing my body into giving up another tought 10 pounds of fat.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:39 PM

Weight training would be great addition for you.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:55 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Well since you know all the answers, OP, you don't need any help from us! Problems solved.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Well since you know all the answers, OP, you don't need any help from us! Problems solved.
nope, I only had questions form those who use apple cider vineager...telling me to move more was not to helpful. Have a nice day anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss