Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 06:04 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrybishop View Post
It's only a myth that fattier people like fattier foods.
Is this a guess or a theory, or is it a conclusion backed up with peer reviewed test results?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 06:14 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Is this a guess or a theory, or is it a conclusion backed up with peer reviewed test results?
I would venture that it is a guess....every obese and greatly overweight person I have known has hoarded and eaten large amounts of candy in addition to overeating on a regular basis pies, cakes, cookies, pastas breads, fries, cheese, fried foods, etc.

Also I do not believe that anyone is predisposed to be obese - they may have certain body types that predispose them to pear shaped bodies, etc.....but overeating to the point of obesity is learned and a matter of self control for the most part....very few babies are "obese" when they are born....those that grow up to be obese, with few exceptions, do so because of what they are taught and allowed to eat, a lack of exercise, a lack of self control.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Also I do not believe that anyone is predisposed to be obese - they may have certain body types that predispose them to pear shaped bodies, etc.....but overeating to the point of obesity is learned and a matter of self control for the most part....very few babies are "obese" when they are born....those that grow up to be obese, with few exceptions, do so because of what they are taught and allowed to eat, a lack of exercise, a lack of self control.
So, all people who are thin are thin because they were taught correctly? Nothing to do with genetics? Thin people have self control and fat people don't. All people have the same desire to eat the same amount of the same types of food but what distinguishes thin people from fat people is thin people have more self control?

Just like alcoholics? The guy who passes on the third beer just has more self control than the guy who is on his ninth beer?

Old 04-13-2013, 06:43 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Some is due to genetics, but it takes a lot of food to make obese.

I'm 46, my metabolism has slowed way the heck down...... so I now watch what I eat to keep my weight down.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-13-2013, 06:48 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times
Quote:
So, all people who are thin are thin because they were taught correctly? Nothing to do with genetics? Thin people have self control and fat people don't. All people have the same desire to eat the same amount of the same types of food but what distinguishes thin people from fat people is thin people have more self control?

Just like alcoholics? The guy who passes on the third beer just has more self control than the guy who is on his ninth beer?
I don't think you can conflate addiction (in the true sense) with a simple lack of control.

Addiction has little to do with self control. In fact, what distinguishes true addicts from the general population is extreme difficulty with self-control over their substance of choice.

I do believe some people who are chronically fat and "unable" to lose weight are addicted to food and an addiction-based treatment plan is appropriate.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:49 PM

6 posts, read 50,066 times
I like fatty foods, but I'm not fat I think it has a lot to do with genetics.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I don't think you can conflate addiction (in the true sense) with a simple lack of control.
Maybe you can't.

But something drives some people to eat three pieces of See's candy while someone else is perfectly satisfied with one piece. The person eating one piece isn't exercising self control. He simply wants one, not two or three, just one. The fat person wants three. Why is that?

Old 04-13-2013, 09:04 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Maybe you can't.

But something drives some people to eat three pieces of See's candy while someone else is perfectly satisfied with one piece. The person eating one piece isn't exercising self control. He simply wants one, not two or three, just one. The fat person wants three. Why is that?
I think people are putting the cart before the horse. People don't like fatty foods more than slender people because they're fat. They're fat because they eat more fatty foods than slender people. And, "liking" fatty foods doesn't make a person fat, nor does it mean a person already is fat.

I've always liked fatty foods. And I didn't become overweight til I quit smoking a few years ago. It was my lack of control that made me fat, not my love of fatty foods. I can love fatty foods, and NOT overeat them, and not be fat. And then the theory falls apart. You end up with someone who loves fatty foods and isn't fat. I LOVE LOVE LOVE fatty foods. I mean I totally love ice cream, and cupcakes, and chocolate, and pretzels, and potato chips. And I even eat those things. Just not all the time. Which is why I'm not obese. It's not because I don't love them as much as an obese person. If I could measure my love for these foods in "pounds I would gain if I gave in to that love every single time I thought about how much I love it" - I'd be around 900 pounds right now.

But - I don't see any particular need to give in to the love every single time I think about how much I love it. I can acknowledge that I love this stuff, without stuffing myself with it all day long. I can think "y'know, cheesecake sure is yummy" and not feel like I have to eat a few slices to prove it.

Many people who really and truly, absolutely positively dead-on double-rainbow-all-the-way love fattening foods, aren't obese. Conversely, NOT many people who constantly EAT all those fattening foods, are slender. And then in the moderate corner: many people who eat SOME of those fattening foods, are slender, and many OTHER people who eat SOME of those fattening foods, weigh within the healthy range, but are not slender.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:40 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIpromiseyou View Post
I like fatty foods, but I'm not fat I think it has a lot to do with genetics.

how many calories a day do you ingest? I"m guessing a whole lot less than someone who's obese (350 lbs +)

Old 04-14-2013, 02:54 PM

515 posts, read 1,004,803 times
I think the biggest issue is habits and general lack of knowledge. People tend to eat a certain way and not realize what they're doing. As a trainer, I always have someone start a food log, no matter if their goal is to get bigger or smaller. Often times, bigger people have no idea just how much food they're eating and smaller people have no idea how little they're eating.

It's not about liking fatty foods, it boils down to educating yourself. My entire family is overweight except myself. My wife and I are at my parents place until May and we both initially gained a few pounds from their style of cooking; meat, tons of carbs and the only thing I could count as a vegetable on the plate was ketchup. I've had to educate them on their food choices so it's focused on plants and animals rather than starchy stuff.

Look at it like this; you could probably eat 2 bagels if you really wanted to, right? You'd have to eat 25 or so cups of broccoli, about 1 pound of beef, 5-7 chicken breasts or 100 cups of spinach to get about the same amount of calories. Most times, people just aren't aware of what they're eating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss