Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 03:29 PM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingElsewhere View Post

You can get long-lean muscles, flat abs, core strength, and a fit body from pilates and yoga. Not as much from just washing the car or working in the garden.

Because for people living in the northern US it's either too cold or rainy during the winter months to run in the park, so there isn't much choice other than to run indoors.
Exactly. There are all kinds of reasons. Here... too hot. DH LOVES running in 85 degree, 75% humidity... it kills me. Plus, I'm not supposed to run (RA), I need the elliptical or bike, and yes biking would be fine..... but then I need to go to the gym for weights.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 02:15 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,679,772 times
Strength training burns fat, absolutely. Diet comes first as always though.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:59 PM

34 posts, read 67,196 times
there are two ways it loses weight.

1. muscle burns more calories than fat

2. if you're sweaty and heavily breathing, you're doing cardio. to give you an idea, i used to work out an hour on the true strider elliptical( a flAt elliptical, basically pushing with thighs) and burned 600-800 calories per hour. so used heavy weights while cardio and soon enough it's two pounds lost a week.

Old 10-09-2016, 02:11 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,318,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
I don't know about the JM workout, but actually lifting weights will certainly lean your body out. Your weight will likely increase as muscle weighs more than fat, but the number on the scale is not what matters.
A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat.

Old 10-09-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat.
But just like a pound of gold and a pound of feathers...... they look different.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:24 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,503,710 times
I have been lifting weights hard for 2 years now - every other day - I am a 53 yr old woman and still fat - I am not flabby - I am solid as hell and can out lift young men in the gym - but - I still eat crap and hate cardio - I guess I really need to face facts - I just don't know what to eat - I am older but have tween boys and a husband to feed - its hard to find meals they will all eat - any suggestions? What type of cardio is good for a woman with arthritis?

Old 10-12-2016, 11:35 AM

Depends on where your arthritis is. I have hands, feet, and back. I work around what is acting up and how much. Feet okay? I'll run (I hate it). I have really good sneakers to prevent impact damage. Lunges across the gym, etc.

Feet hurting? Elliptical or rowing machine.

For the most part, the boys will eat what I cook, or go hungry.

My ("I hate veggies") 15 year old has eaten plenty vegetarian meals (he didn't know).

As long as you cook with lots of flavor and spices!

Last edited by Mikala43; 11-02-2016 at 10:50 AM..

Old 11-02-2016, 04:47 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,680,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy in Nokomis View Post
I have been lifting weights hard for 2 years now - every other day - I am a 53 yr old woman and still fat - I am not flabby - I am solid as hell and can out lift young men in the gym - but - I still eat crap and hate cardio - I guess I really need to face facts - I just don't know what to eat - I am older but have tween boys and a husband to feed - its hard to find meals they will all eat - any suggestions? What type of cardio is good for a woman with arthritis?
I am 54, with arthritis, and I just do the airdyne stationary bike for now. Staying active and keep moving....and rest, use heat therapies, when the arthritis acts up.
As for food, I don't care for crap/junk food anyways. But I DID raise 2 boys. Feed them when they are hungry...limit the after school snacks. If they are really hungry, whatever they eat should taste good! If not, pbj

Old 11-03-2016, 09:56 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
I've found ellipticals and treadmills to work for my moderate to severe arthritis in the knees. I also do the Stepmill (stair climber) on occasion with no ill effects. If you lift weights, then that may help you (arthritis wise) handle cardio. I've completely stopped using painkillers now due to exercise.

I hate cardio as well and prefer lifting but the reality is that you need to do both. As for your diet, reduce the crap to maybe one or two special days (which is what I do) and aim for healthy choices the remaining days. Weightlifting by itself will make you stronger but it will not remove the fat and why have fat hide your beautiful muscles? It won't be easy, especially as we age and with the arthritis, so take things slowly.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:44 AM

510 posts, read 448,751 times
Weight lifting will burn fat for some people but it depends on their body type. Generally those with an endomorph body type need at least 3-4 days of cardio along with a controlled diet to burn their body fat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss