Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 07:49 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,874,317 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering if anyone else is doing weight watchers to lose weight.
I want to lose 15-20 pounds. I started doing weight watchers points on monday I've been doing good staying on points although today I have been/am feeling like I want to eat some extra food I did have an extra two points today over my limit but I havent done that any other days this week.
Just would be nice to talk to some other people here that are also on weight watchers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 12:49 PM

412 posts, read 1,229,259 times
I have done weight watchers before. I always felt like I was starving! I was only eating about 1100 - 1300 calories a day on Weight Watchers (that's assuming around 25 points per day - which would be 20 daily target points plus 5 of the 35 weekly points). IMO that's way too little and I had a very difficult time sticking to it without going over. And exercising to earn more points was a joke. You have to burn about 100 calories to get 1 extra point to eat (which averages out to only about 60 calories). Exercising always made me feel even hungrier! I would get so hungry that I would be lightheaded and dizzy and get a headache.

I do think it's a good program, and it helped me lose about 20 pounds very quickly after having my 3rd child. But I always ate about 3 - 5 points above my points, and still felt super hungry! I did keep the weight off for several years, but I gained some back b/c now I'm a teacher & I haved gained 5 lbs each summer for the past 3 summers.

Right now I am counting calories instead (I have gained some weight back). I feel much more satisfied b/c I am allowing myself around 1500 - 1700 calories per day. I just started though, so I'll see how it goes. I'm sure I'll lose more slowly than when I did WW.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:14 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,240,908 times
Smile Weight Watchers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post
I want to lose 15-20 pounds. I started doing weight watchers points on monday I've been doing good staying on points although today I have been/am feeling like I want to eat some extra food I did have an extra two points today over my limit but I havent done that any other days this week.
Just would be nice to talk to some other people here that are also on weight watchers.
Hi - I have done WW before - just like 3 weeks but I do the points and it's a great program. When my husband was in high school, he lost 75 pounds and has kept it off. He stays 10-15 pounds from his goal weight.

I'm married and have had 2 kids a long time ago. They are 24 and 19 but I still have that weight.

In 2003-2004, I got down to my goal weight (close enough). I was wearing 6's and some cute clothes. In 2005, we had Hurricane Wilma here and it wasn't that bad but my daughter was home, we played games and cards and ate Ritz Crackers with peanut butter, a favorite for both of us. I gained like 10 pounds in 2 weeks and throughout the next couple of years, another 20 pounds.

I just read Valerie Bertinelli's book and I do what she did - I ate when I was happy and I ate when I was sad. I just like food, darn it. I don't like fruit which I know it horrible but my parents forced me to eat when I was little (that was just their way) and those foods I can't even be around, especially bananas. I gag.

So, I'm setting a goal date of May 1, 2009 and I'm starting NOW.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmingtonangel View Post
I have done weight watchers before. I always felt like I was starving! I was only eating about 1100 - 1300 calories a day on Weight Watchers (that's assuming around 25 points per day - which would be 20 daily target points plus 5 of the 35 weekly points). IMO that's way too little and I had a very difficult time sticking to it without going over. And exercising to earn more points was a joke. You have to burn about 100 calories to get 1 extra point to eat (which averages out to only about 60 calories). Exercising always made me feel even hungrier! I would get so hungry that I would be lightheaded and dizzy and get a headache.

I do think it's a good program, and it helped me lose about 20 pounds very quickly after having my 3rd child. But I always ate about 3 - 5 points above my points, and still felt super hungry! I did keep the weight off for several years, but I gained some back b/c now I'm a teacher & I haved gained 5 lbs each summer for the past 3 summers.

Right now I am counting calories instead (I have gained some weight back). I feel much more satisfied b/c I am allowing myself around 1500 - 1700 calories per day. I just started though, so I'll see how it goes. I'm sure I'll lose more slowly than when I did WW.
Thank you for your reply.
That's great that you did lose weight on weight watchers years ago- that gives me hope. I agree it doesnt seem real easy to not go beyond the max points a day. I had started last monday and I did really good until Friday evening- then I screwed up by going over atleast 10 points. Since I had already messed up Friday evening I let myself mess up some on Saturday and Sunday as well and told myself I will start fresh on Monday. So here I am starting over today. I just checked my weight a little while ago (even though I figured that I wouldnt be down any since I went over) because it would of been one week today of weight watchers had I not screwed up on Friday- suprisingly the scale says I'm down 4 lbs- dont know how that happened!
I think this the best way for me to lose weight atleast for now because of my awful work schedule. So I'm going to try to not screw up again.
Good luck with your weight loss I hope you reach your goal weight.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Hi - I have done WW before - just like 3 weeks but I do the points and it's a great program. When my husband was in high school, he lost 75 pounds and has kept it off. He stays 10-15 pounds from his goal weight.

I'm married and have had 2 kids a long time ago. They are 24 and 19 but I still have that weight.

In 2003-2004, I got down to my goal weight (close enough). I was wearing 6's and some cute clothes. In 2005, we had Hurricane Wilma here and it wasn't that bad but my daughter was home, we played games and cards and ate Ritz Crackers with peanut butter, a favorite for both of us. I gained like 10 pounds in 2 weeks and throughout the next couple of years, another 20 pounds.

I just read Valerie Bertinelli's book and I do what she did - I ate when I was happy and I ate when I was sad. I just like food, darn it. I don't like fruit which I know it horrible but my parents forced me to eat when I was little (that was just their way) and those foods I can't even be around, especially bananas. I gag.

So, I'm setting a goal date of May 1, 2009 and I'm starting NOW.
Thank you for your reply.
That is great that you and your husband have both had success with weight watchers. I think its the best program for me with my awful work schedule.
I had screwed up over the whole weekend some but I'm starting fresh today and I hope to stay with the plan and max points this time. I like to eat too
Good for you with setting a goal date Good luck- I hope you reach your goal weight.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:17 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,775,275 times
Hi, I lost 55 lbs on WW almost 3 years ago. I kept it off for 2 years, then with the stress put about 20 back on this past year. I just started this week to get back on track and lose those pounds.
When I am on the program, I am never hungry. Some days I had to struggle to actually eat all my points. I started at 24, then got down to 20 a day. I'll admit, the fewer points, the harder it is.

I always tried to eat things that I could check off my list first--dairy, fruits and veggies. That way, I always had my requirements in, then the rest of the points could go for whatever. For example, my usual breakfast was a glass of V8 and a yogurt. So, 1 dairy, 1 veggie, and 1 water (V8 counts twice, remember!). Once at work, I'd have a light drinkable yogurt. There's the 2nd dairy. For lunch, I tried to have at least 2-3 fruits or veggies, and drank water all day. When I got home, I would need 1 or 2 waters, and 2 veggies.
I never did excercise to get more points. Truthfully, the only excercise I ever did was walking up the stairs in my office building to use the restroom. If you feel you need to use some of your extra points, then do it! Make sure you are truly hungry though. I have a problem eating when I'm bored, when I'm sad, you name it! Hard to break but you can do it! Do you have a pic of you that you truly hate? Put it in the fridge, on your bathroom mirror, in the pantry. My fave quote: Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels."
Check out Hungrygirl.com and dwlz.com. Two great weight loss/management websites.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefightermom View Post
Hi, I lost 55 lbs on WW almost 3 years ago. I kept it off for 2 years, then with the stress put about 20 back on this past year. I just started this week to get back on track and lose those pounds.
When I am on the program, I am never hungry. Some days I had to struggle to actually eat all my points. I started at 24, then got down to 20 a day. I'll admit, the fewer points, the harder it is.

I always tried to eat things that I could check off my list first--dairy, fruits and veggies. That way, I always had my requirements in, then the rest of the points could go for whatever. For example, my usual breakfast was a glass of V8 and a yogurt. So, 1 dairy, 1 veggie, and 1 water (V8 counts twice, remember!). Once at work, I'd have a light drinkable yogurt. There's the 2nd dairy. For lunch, I tried to have at least 2-3 fruits or veggies, and drank water all day. When I got home, I would need 1 or 2 waters, and 2 veggies.
I never did excercise to get more points. Truthfully, the only excercise I ever did was walking up the stairs in my office building to use the restroom. If you feel you need to use some of your extra points, then do it! Make sure you are truly hungry though. I have a problem eating when I'm bored, when I'm sad, you name it! Hard to break but you can do it! Do you have a pic of you that you truly hate? Put it in the fridge, on your bathroom mirror, in the pantry. My fave quote: Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels."
Check out Hungrygirl.com and dwlz.com. Two great weight loss/management websites.
That is so great that you lost alot of weight with weight watchers before
Are you doing weight watchers points now? I just started fresh today- I really want to lose this 15-20 lbs. I did find some 1 pt hot buns and these Western Alternative bagels today that are regular size and are 1 or 2 pts.
I do go to dwlz.com great site I love that quote you wrote.
Good luck with losing your weight

Old 02-10-2009, 07:37 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,828,194 times
Quote:
Hang in there! The first 2 or 3 weeks are hard and when I first started I thought I was going to starve too. Here are a couple of tips...

Take your food points book and highlight all the foods that are zero points, they make great snacks!

Make sure that you are getting your fiber in, fiber is filling.

Who or what inspires you? Is it an old photo of yourself? I cut out a photo of Stephanie Seymore's (a former V-secret model) butt years ago from a fitness magazine. I found it the other day and stuck it on my fridge. No I may never have "that" butt, but it does make me think twice before I reach for something. I did notice DH goes to the fridge quite often now, hmmm, just kidding.

Nothing tastes as good as thin feels.

Buy the WW magazine, it's a great motivator and has great recipes!

Only weigh yourself at the WW meetings. The scales they use are calibrated and most likely your home scale is not. I found that my home scale didn't show the weight loss as quickly as the WW scale.

Get moving, exercise is key.

Don't wait until Monday's to start over. One of the WW instuctor's I had was tough. A few people even compalined about her but it was tough love and true. Here are a few of her words.

Had a bad eating day, suck it up and get over it.

One day a gal had reached her weightloss goal of 20 pounds. The instuctor said, some of you think 20 pounds is not a big deal but it is. She happened to reach her "oh my God" weight gain at 20 pounds and she came in and took care of it. For some others it was 30, 40, 60 or 100 pounds. It's different for everyone so suck it up and get over it, your all here now and doing something about it, she just happened to do it sooner. Move forward.

Like I said she was tough but what she said was true.

Good luck!

Old 02-10-2009, 09:04 AM

1,312 posts, read 4,775,275 times
Quote:
That is so great that you lost alot of weight with weight watchers before
Are you doing weight watchers points now? I just started fresh today- I really want to lose this 15-20 lbs. I did find some 1 pt hot buns and these Western Alternative bagels today that are regular size and are 1 or 2 pts.
I do go to dwlz.com great site I love that quote you wrote.
Good luck with losing your weight
I just started again this week. I get 22 points, and it's funny how easy I fell back into the groove...just had to get that motivation back! Good for you for wanting to lose the weight.
Food ideas:
*Check your grocery for light wheat breads and buns, or low calorie ones....out here I have Giant and Weis, they both make their own name brand of these, and the buns are 1 pt each, bread 1 pt for 2 slices. Since it's their brand, it's much cheaper than the WW bread, or Wonder Light.
*Hebrew National 98% fat free hot dogs...1 pt each.
*Boca Burgers--most are 1 pt each. I am nowhere near a vegetarian, but these are good! I've had plain, Onion, and Grilled, all good.
*Morningstar farms sausage patties. I even got my husband to eat these!
*Boca sausage links--I find are better than Morningstar links. Better texture.
*Thomas' light english muffins--I think 1 pt.
*Laughing cow and Babybel light cheeses 1 pt each
*Swiss Miss Sensible Sweets Diet Hot Chocolate--0 pts
*Jello Pudding Fat Free Sugar Free mixes...make with ff milk, 1 pt

Those are some of my staples, always in the house to save me!
Thanks for the vote of confidence, and good luck to you also!

Old 02-10-2009, 09:47 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,828,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefightermom View Post
I just started again this week. I get 22 points, and it's funny how easy I fell back into the groove...just had to get that motivation back!
That's the hardest thing, getting the motivation back, I couldn't have worded it any better. I know exactly what I have to do, now I just have to do it and suck it up! Ha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss