Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 09:13 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,854,806 times

Advertisements

Like so many others I have resolved to do something about developing a healthier lifestyle. To that end I am considering taking a look at Weight Watchers and wondered if any of you are either past or current members and what your experience has been? Can you really eat enough of foods you actually like (no rice cakes please) to not be hungry and wanting to snack all the time and were you successful in losing the amount of weight you wanted and finally, have you kept it off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2007, 09:32 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,674,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
Like so many others I have resolved to do something about developing a healthier lifestyle. To that end I am considering taking a look at Weight Watchers and wondered if any of you are either past or current members and what your experience has been? Can you really eat enough of foods you actually like (no rice cakes please) to not be hungry and wanting to snack all the time and were you successful in losing the amount of weight you wanted and finally, have you kept it off?
I did it for 4 months a couple years ago, it worked ok in four months i lost 11 pounds.. Was expensive though. Alot of counting. I was hungry sometimes.
I am on nutri-system now and in 9 days have lost 7 pounds so far. Alot easier for me, I have four kids to deal with!!! Good Luck!!

Old 01-11-2007, 09:45 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,780,399 times
My mother did Weight Watchers and lost a lot of weight. She did the counting points system and said that she couldn't eat all the food it was too much.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:31 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,346,393 times
Did WW, am lifetime almost 3 years, didn't (still don't) count, is expensive (but compared to what?) and felt like I was in an AA meeting at times ().

Old 01-11-2007, 11:46 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,242,333 times
My dad did Weight Watchers. He was always hungry, never lost any weight, and the weigh in is done in front of the group, which he found very embarrassing.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:24 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,346,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
My dad did Weight Watchers. He was always hungry, never lost any weight, and the weigh in is done in front of the group, which he found very embarrassing.
Weighed in while we "waited in" line. No one saw the numbers but the weigh-er - used an electronic scale. In Pa, at a meeting place they didn't use one, and I made such a stink about that AND that there was no privacy, that they asked me to not come back LOL. Too bad! - no one's business but mine and the scale! BTW - lost 30#

Old 01-11-2007, 05:08 PM

4,781 posts, read 2,083,619 times
I tried weight watchers a few years ago with some ladies from church. I only needed to loose one pant size . I lost the weight but didn't stick with it.
Now, I am right back where I started. I need to loose 1 pant size.
The main reason is because I bought allot of nice clothes, when I lost the weight. I would like to wear them now.
This is the diet I started last week:

1) I am not on a diet.
2) smaller portions of what the family is eating.
3) No sugar (One treat a week)
4) watch the breads and pasta.

5) Walk 1-3 miles a day. except on Sundays

I lost three pounds this first week......I will let you know how my diet goes.
I heard sometimes people loose inches before pounds. I can already tell my jeans are looser.

Old 01-11-2007, 05:31 PM

986 posts, read 2,808,869 times
My best friend went on WW many years ago. It taught her how to eat right she lost all of the weight she wanted and never put it back on again. I think WW is great because it lets you eat every day food.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:09 AM

850 posts, read 3,159,418 times
Weight Watchers acn be a wonderful option - as it puts you in touch with others experiencing the same, and gives you a place to meet to discuss issues face to face. TOPS (take off pounds sensibly) is another group I would highly recommend. They have no 'diet' persay - each does there own thing and comes to share with the rest of the group.

Even in our small town we have a chapter - and it is relatively easy to begin one. Dues are small, and the encouragement and one on one cannot be beaten.

I have lost over 100lbs. in my lifetime, and struggle with 15 -20 that comes and goes. I have found that as our bodies age, the method of reducing weight changes just as our bodies do.

What worked when you were 20, may not work when you are 40 or more.

The most important thing - concentrate on getting healthy - not getting slim.

One will assuredly follow the other when you eat and drink the things your body needs, rather than processed, enriched and carbonated food/drink.

Weight Watchers in itself canbe a good start. I have a friend who has had great success, but the cost can mount, especially if you begin to buy the meals in the grocery store.

Losing weight is never easy - say to yourself - I am worht it and in control - I hold the fork - and you will find the power you need.

I am dealing with this now, as I am at the high end of my wardrobe and want to get back into my 'pretty clothes' ratehr than the 'okay' ones.

You can do it - no matter what route you take. I have an entire weight loss presentation I did on power point while working as a Nutritonal Consultant. If you are interested - I'll email the info and you can see what I mean.

Good luck! Oh - and throw that scale away!! If you are excercising and beginning to build muscle mass - because muscle weighs more than fat - the numbers will go up, and can be defeating.

Gage your success on how you feel and how your clothes fit. I think scales should be against the law!! lol!

KimmieyKY

Old 01-12-2007, 02:41 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times
I did WW when I was younger, and it works if you REALLY stick to it... but like any other "diet", it's easy to gain that weight right back! This is why I don't believe in diets, since I personally don't have the motivation to be that controlled forever. I've finally lost weight (60 lbs over two years) in a way that I can stick to, by just making small lifestyle changes... it's been very gradual, but this is proven to be the best way to keep it off.

Basically I'm just make better food choices, without depriving myself altogether. I don't do fast-food or fried foods anymore, unless there's NO other choice, and shop differently at the grocery store... I make substitutes on the small cooking items, like using fat-free milk, egg whites, "fake butter" (I Can't Believe it's not Butter, which has zero fat & calories, and tastes just as good as margarine), lowfat ice cream, etc. I was surprised at how quickly it begins to taste better than the "bad" stuff! I also keep active, by taking walks with my dog, yoga & fitness tapes, calisthenics, and whatever else seems appealing. Anyway, losing weight is a very personal thing, so this might not work for everyone - but it's done well for me so far! It really helps to just make small & gradual changes, so it's not too shocking to your system... then it eventually becomes habit, and doesn't feel like a diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss