Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 07:10 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,438,415 times

Advertisements

I went over my points and dipped into my 49 weekly points. I did not have second helpings but I did have a little bit of everything minus a few dishes I don't like and I had wine. I get 29 points per day and after yesterdays meal I was at 54 points!!! Weighed myself this morning and it looks like I lost 1/2 lb but the true loss/gain will be told at Sundays meeting. I had my apple pie ala mode too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 02:02 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,715,742 times
Just forget about it. Pretend like that day didn't happen. One day off your plan isn't going to make a difference. It's if you decide to take another, and another, and another day off that you'll hurt your progress.

Hope you enjoyed Thanksgiving!

Old 11-24-2012, 07:22 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
I am on Weight Watchers. I intentionally "fell of the wagon" this week. I am sure that I've gained three or four pounds. Oh well, so be it. As of today, I am back on track and I'll lose it again.

We only live once. If I eat poorly four out of fifty two weeks (Thanksgiving and Christmas and vacation) I am sure I'll be fine.

Life's too short not to celebrate with food every once in awhile.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:54 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,178,863 times
Im not doing any formal program or plan, but I "broke even" for Thanksgiving, so far. No gain, perhaps a small 1 or 2 lb loss (really that's static). Key was portion control and no snacking ---or snacks was things like apples and celementines and I did a lot of hiking and city walking (we had great sunny weather down here in KY), which burned up calories.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:13 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
It's really not that hard. Thanksgiving food is so overrated. It is so bland. Based on English and American flavorless bland tastes (no spices or seasonings for the most part). Bland turkey, bland stuffing, bland potatoes, bland gravy, bland rolls, etc.

If you're going to go over your points or calories, at least to it with tacos or Armenian or Korean food with real flavor.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
It's really not that hard. Thanksgiving food is so overrated. It is so bland. Based on English and American flavorless bland tastes (no spices or seasonings for the most part). Bland turkey, bland stuffing, bland potatoes, bland gravy, bland rolls, etc.

If you're going to go over your points or calories, at least to it with tacos or Armenian or Korean food with real flavor.
Or practice your cooking skills. Or date or marry someone with better cooking skills.

The traditional Thanksgiving meal at our house is NEVER short on flavor or bland in any way!

Old 11-25-2012, 09:43 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,823,755 times
I agree with Charles on the food. And my family has no shortage of great cooks, myself included. We make a very tasty meal that everyone loves. But for me the appeal is lost. I can think of a hundred things I would rather eat. I get so tired of the textures and the richness, and turkey, big whoop, I eat that all the time anyway.
Thanksgiving is about spending the day with family, watching some football, drinking some sparkling wine and then sitting down to eat a meal that is going to sit in my gut like a rock, even though I take small portions.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I agree with Charles on the food. And my family has no shortage of great cooks, myself included. We make a very tasty meal that everyone loves. But for me the appeal is lost. I can think of a hundred things I would rather eat. I get so tired of the textures and the richness, and turkey, big whoop, I eat that all the time anyway.
Thanksgiving is about spending the day with family, watching some football, drinking some sparkling wine and then sitting down to eat a meal that is going to sit in my gut like a rock, even though I take small portions.
Well, everyone's traditions differ. It amazes me how different each family's menu can be, even though everyone says "turkey, dressing, gravy, sweet potatoes." People cook things differently.

For instance, I have mastered an old family recipe for dressing. The amazing thing is - there's not a drop of butter or other fat in it. It gets it's moisture from chicken broth - with the fat skimmed off. It's FANTASTIC. And what a family treasure. My husband and I finally sat down with his 81 year old mother and watched her make it (it's an all day affair), carefully writing down each step, because of course it's not just a recipe, it's also the way things are chopped and how they're mixed with each other. It would be a shame for the family to lose this art! I wish I had written down our family's 1930s era chocolate bread pudding recipe - now it's gone forever...

Also, this year we did the turkey from scratch - no smoked turkey or precooked anything. WOW, what a difference that made. That was the most succulent turkey I've ever tasted, and all we did was keep it basted (in it's own juices) while it roasted. I mean, that was IT. It was fantastic.

The gravy we make has very little fat in it - only what occurs naturally from the juices of the turkey and/or the chicken we use for the dressing. It's broth based - no milk or butter. It's delicious but light.

When we make sweet potatoes, we do use butter and brown sugar, but no marshmallows. Oh, and a shot of whiskey - yeehaw!

Yes, the desserts are rich and yes, we use only real whipping cream - no cool whip allowed in this house! But I limit myself to one piece of pie - and one roll too, now that I think of it.

It's still a heavy meal but I love the tastes and the traditions - I love the fact that these recipes are handed down from generation to generation. Even with some of the side dishes (a family recipe for corn casserole, a favorite recipe for green beans) we only fix during the holidays - so we don't ever get tired of them.

However, our general consensus this year was to incorporate something we've already done for the 4th of July - and that is to change up Christmas dinner. Our new plan is to pick an ethnicity and a Christmas tradition from that particular country or ethnic group, and to have a traditional meal from a different one each year. I really, really like that idea and we're excited about it. Like I said, we've already started doing that during our family get together in July, because we have such a diverse family ethnically that it's fun to celebrate the different ethnicities that make up the US, during the 4th of July. But incorporating different Christmas traditions with a traditional meal from that country sounds like a TON of fun!

I can't take TWO rounds of turkey and dressing within just a few weeks of each other! AND NO MORE PECAN PIE!!!!!!

Old 11-25-2012, 12:11 PM

5,481 posts, read 6,309,195 times
I've been back on the points for a few weeks, trying to get down back under 200lbs for the first time since high school. I started at few months ago at 230, went down to 205, now back up to 215. As for Thanksgiving, I cancel the points program for one day and eat whatever I want and as much of it as I want, with the only thing I go easy on being the dessert. Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, cranberry, squash and asparagus and a few Sam Adams make for a great holiday dinner, and then right back on the points the next day.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:53 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,438,415 times
I gained 1 pound but that's ok. As far as food goes where you got the idea that Thanksgiving food is overrated is beyond me. Our food is never bland or tasteless. We season everything. The only way food is bland is the way the cook prepares it. I suggest getting new tastebuds charles. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss