Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2013, 12:08 PM

550 posts, read 965,649 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I thought I'd introduce myself. I post on the NJ forum but have been just a lurker in this Diet and Weight Loss section.

Long story short, over the past couple of years, I gained some unwanted pounds as I dealt with work stress, graduate school, two young kids and a wife who was ill for over a year. Nobody to blame for the weight gain but myself. But I won't put myself down for it, since it's all reversible.

My plan is to lose 20 pounds, which would put me close to my ideal weight, and maintain that weight for the long haul.

Back in college, I lost the same amount of weight and remained there for a good 10 years, so hopefully, though my metabolism isn't as high as it used to be, I will eventually get there.

Right now, I am headed into my second week of a healthier lifestyle of veggies, fruits and exercising (45 minutes of daily light workouts for now). I can feel that I've shed some pounds and I can see some muscle tone already, but I'm not going to bother stepping onto the scale at this point, as I feel that much of this plan has a lot to do with my mindset (i.e. mental well-being).

Please provide any pointers or any encouraging stories. Though my wife has been extremely supportive (as she's also been on a health kick), I can use all the other help I can get.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 01:48 PM

67 posts, read 169,023 times
Hi,

I think your plan might just be one of the best investments you can make for your future, as well as the future of your family! In my experience, it is so much easier to deal with any kind of stress when you eat right, and you feel "light" inside. Your plan will probably help you get through your daily stress, and help you with your emotional stability as you deal with stressful situations. It's weird how we often eat crap in response to stress, and how this very act actually intensifies not only stress, but also negative emotions like anxiety, depression, or anger. What you are doing right now will have the opposite effect, and this ought to be a significant motivator to stick with the plan. In my experience, weight training especially increased my self esteem and resistance to stress.

In addition, if you stick with a healthy life style, you will not only be happier in the short term, but you will also be able to prevent many illnesses (diabetes, heart disease, cancer,...) in the long run. Just think how much money you will be saving, if you are able to avoid these! You will be both richer and happier.....and a better father to your children, and a better husband to your wife. And you will love yourself so much more as you will feel good (as opposed to feeling in pain and in emotional distress), and you will look good.

Please continue with your plan! Just keep reminding yourself how much you are gaining from it, and how much you may be losing, if you don't stick with it.

If you have an occasional relapse, don't be too hard on yourself, and definitely DON"T give up. Relapses are human, and everyone has them. And, finally, do treat yourself occasionally.

Good luck to you. Let us know how things are going. I'm very interested in how the healthy lifestyle makes you feel differently.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midsummer View Post
Good luck to you. Let us know how things are going. I'm very interested in how the healthy lifestyle makes you feel differently.
Thanks for the encouragement. I'll definitely let you know how it's going. Probably check into this thread whenever I see something worth mentioning about my plan/path (good or bad!).

Old 08-23-2013, 06:08 PM

8 posts, read 20,602 times
I will definitely let you know how it is working.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:10 PM

For anyone who cares to know, after almost a month of a much more active lifestyle and consciously eating healthier (but treating myself here and there), I've lost 10 pounds. I want to lose another 10, which seems much more realistic at this point. Then the real challenge of maintaining that weight begins.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:10 PM

67 posts, read 169,023 times
That's fantastic!!!

You know, in my experience, maintaining your weight may be hard for the initial few months. But there is good news: once your body has "re-set" itself, it will naturally try to maintain the new set-point, and maintaining becomes much easier. At least, this is true in my experience. Good luck with the next 10 lbs.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:37 PM

207 posts, read 354,759 times
Fantastic! Keep up the good work!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss