Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 08:57 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times

Advertisements

You cannot remove cellulite with a mixture you put on your skin.
Green Tea is overrated as a fat burner, but still a healthy beverage.
Fat flushes are nonsense.
Eating cabbage everyday will lose you friends as you are going to be constantly farting.
Weight loss supplements are bogus.
There are no 'fat burning' foods.

Good old calorie counting while eating whole, fresh foods and exercise is the real answer.

But hey, I do have some swamp land I would like to sell you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 02:45 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,650,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Eating cabbage everyday will lose you friends as you are going to be constantly farting.

Good old calorie counting while eating whole, fresh foods and exercise is the real answer.

Had to rep you again!!! Less calories in...more calories expended...=weight loss!!! I have yo-yoed for 20 yrs now on different diets and fads...the only place you'll lose weight is in your wallet...counting calories and lifestyle change is the "secret" to losing and sustaining...

Old 10-17-2013, 11:11 PM

54 posts, read 105,605 times
Quote:

I don't count calories, I wouldn't know where to begin. I look at the scale as I lose a pound a day with very little effort at all. Maybe it is looking at a scale that accounts for losing 88 pounds in 3 months?

Lets see what experts say about your laymen opinion. I don't plan to run down every wrong thing that comes out of your mouth, so I am afraid that research is on you.

Green tea:
Researchers say the results indicate that substances found in green tea known as catechins may trigger weight loss by stimulating the body to burn calories and decreasing body fat.

The findings appear in the January issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

In this study, researchers looked at the effects of catechins on body fat reduction and weight loss in a group of 35 Japanese men. The men had similar weights based on theirBMI (body mass index, an indicator of body fat) and waist sizes.

The men were divided into two groups. For three months, the first group drank a bottle of oolong tea fortified with green tea extract containing 690 milligrams of catechins, and the other group drank a bottle of oolong tea with 22 milligrams of catechins.

During this time, the men ate identical breakfasts and dinners and were instructed to control their calorie and fat intake at all times so that overall total diets were similar.

After three months, the study showed that the men who drank the green tea extract lost more weight (5.3 pounds vs. 2.9 pounds) and experienced a significantly greater decrease in BMI, waist size, and total body fat.

Quite interestingly, I don't seem to suffer from passing gas because of eating cabbage. You might have other intestinal problems going on, but for those that want to lose 7-10 pounds a week (nasa.com), whats a little gas?? Cabbage contains a chemical called tartaric acid, which inhibits the conversion of sugar and other carbohydrates into fat. So if your body is not taking in fat as you have a full meal, who's fat is your body consuming for energy?

Have you used the supplement Garcinia Cambogia, or making an assumption? Here are some more studys garcinia cambogia HCA.

Studies by Ramos et al. (1995) demonstrated that 500 mg HCA (CitriMax) taken three
times per day before meals for 8 weeks resulted in 215% greater weight loss in twenty
overweight adults than those taking a placebo.

Mattes and Borman (2000) demonstrated that a daily dose of 1.2 gm HCA along with a daily diet of 5,020 kJ (1,200 kcal) for 12 weeks resulted in a significant difference in weight
loss (3.7 3.1 vs 2.4 2.9 kg) compared to placebo.
http://www.puregarciniacambogia.com/pdf/study-1.pdf

Conclusion: G cambogia reduced abdominal fat accumulation in subjects,
regardless of sex, who had the visceral fat accumulation type of obesity. No
rebound effect was observed. It is therefore expected that G cambogia may be
useful for the prevention and reduction of accumulation of visceral fat. (Curr
Ther Res Clin Exp. 2003;64:551–567) Copyright 2003 Excerpta Medica, Inc.
Key words: Garcinia cambogia, hydroxycitric acid, visceral fat accumulation,
computed tomography scan.
http://www.puregarciniacambogia.com/pdf/study-2.pdf

Obviously, this and other studys indicate your opinions, in part, are misfounded.

The most famous clinical study of garcinia cambogia was published in the Current Therapeutic Research® journal, scientists used Garcinia Cambogia with 60% HCA to study its weight loss effects. What they found was that it causes significant weight loss, lowers food intake and body weight gain as well as tackling factors such as cholesterol, low-density lipoproteins, triglycerides and serum leptin levels. View Clinical Study

So, to recap, a pure garcinia cambogia product works by blocking these enzymes and preventing the formation of these fatty deposits. In essence it not only burns fat we have stored, but also prevents more fat from forming.
Dr OZ

Last edited by shinning; 10-18-2013 at 12:28 AM..

Old 10-17-2013, 11:39 PM

6,735 posts, read 4,417,224 times
Two years ago I lost 30 pounds just by cutting out bad foods (fast food joints), and switched to diet drinks. Lots of sugar there that I am not taking in now. I use to eat alot of this crap, several times a day. I just got tired of it. Not to mension the money I was saving. It actually started out as saving money. I wasnt stopping at a drive-thru several times a day paying $6 or $7. It added up at the end of the month as a car payment in savings now. You dont have to count calories, or eat salads you feel you have to eat to loss weight. Just eat sensibly, and not stuff yourself, and nothing after 6 in the evening, to give your body time to burn off calories. With me, the weight just fell off, with no exercise. I was never a fat person. I now weight 165. I cant believe how much better I feel not eating all that fried foods, and sweet sodas.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
Two years ago I lost 30 pounds just by cutting out bad foods (fast food joints), and switched to diet drinks. Lots of sugar there that I am not taking in now. I use to eat alot of this crap, several times a day. I just got tired of it. Not to mension the money I was saving. It actually started out as saving money. I wasnt stopping at a drive-thru several times a day paying $6 or $7. It added up at the end of the month as a car payment in savings now. You dont have to count calories, or eat salads you feel you have to eat to loss weight. Just eat sensibly, and not stuff yourself, and nothing after 6 in the evening, to give your body time to burn off calories. With me, the weight just fell off, with no exercise. I was never a fat person. I now weight 165. I cant believe how much better I feel not eating all that fried foods, and sweet sodas.
I agree. I do snack after 6:00, but it is with veggies (carrot fingers/celery sticks) & fat free dressing, or handful of corn chips & hot salsa, or yogurt & blue berries, a saturday night popcorn. Not much, but it stimulates the metabolism to burn fat. I am headed to 165, because that is what I used to weigh before my heart attack, and even at 212 I feel much better than 300. lol! I figure I want to level off at 160-165 for a month, then stay under 170 for a set weight~before I ring the alarm bell.

I think part of my success is because I attack the fat in several different ways, a little bit of this and that all add up to fat burn. I drink strickly coffee, teas (leaf,spices,plants) and water flushing my system. A recent study concluded that two cokes a day raises your chances of kidney disease 30%.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:12 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Had to rep you again!!! Less calories in...more calories expended...=weight loss!!! I have yo-yoed for 20 yrs now on different diets and fads...the only place you'll lose weight is in your wallet...counting calories and lifestyle change is the "secret" to losing and sustaining...
You got it.

Most people have a life and don't want to spend a bulk of time prepping food in the kitchen - chopping cleaning blenders and processors, etc.

What's the sense of living if you have to spend the majority of your time in the kitchen and gym?

No, diet is a change of lifestyle, and it HAS to be something you can live with, not something that takes over your life.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinning View Post
I don't count calories, I wouldn't know where to begin. I look at the scale as I lose a pound a day with very little effort at all. Maybe it is looking at a scale that accounts for losing 88 pounds in 3 months?

Lets see what experts say about your laymen opinion. I don't plan to run down every wrong thing that comes out of your mouth, so I am afraid that research is on you.

Green tea:
Researchers say the results indicate that substances found in green tea known as catechins may trigger weight loss by stimulating the body to burn calories and decreasing body fat.

The findings appear in the January issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

In this study, researchers looked at the effects of catechins on body fat reduction and weight loss in a group of 35 Japanese men. The men had similar weights based on theirBMI (body mass index, an indicator of body fat) and waist sizes.

The men were divided into two groups. For three months, the first group drank a bottle of oolong tea fortified with green tea extract containing 690 milligrams of catechins, and the other group drank a bottle of oolong tea with 22 milligrams of catechins.

During this time, the men ate identical breakfasts and dinners and were instructed to control their calorie and fat intake at all times so that overall total diets were similar.

After three months, the study showed that the men who drank the green tea extract lost more weight (5.3 pounds vs. 2.9 pounds) and experienced a significantly greater decrease in BMI, waist size, and total body fat.

Quite interestingly, I don't seem to suffer from passing gas because of eating cabbage. You might have other intestinal problems going on, but for those that want to lose 7-10 pounds a week (nasa.com), whats a little gas?? Cabbage contains a chemical called tartaric acid, which inhibits the conversion of sugar and other carbohydrates into fat. So if your body is not taking in fat as you have a full meal, who's fat is your body consuming for energy?

Have you used the supplement Garcinia Cambogia, or making an assumption? Here are some more studys garcinia cambogia HCA.

Studies by Ramos et al. (1995) demonstrated that 500 mg HCA (CitriMax) taken three
times per day before meals for 8 weeks resulted in 215% greater weight loss in twenty
overweight adults than those taking a placebo.

Mattes and Borman (2000) demonstrated that a daily dose of 1.2 gm HCA along with a daily diet of 5,020 kJ (1,200 kcal) for 12 weeks resulted in a significant difference in weight
loss (3.7 3.1 vs 2.4 2.9 kg) compared to placebo.
http://www.puregarciniacambogia.com/pdf/study-1.pdf

Conclusion: G cambogia reduced abdominal fat accumulation in subjects,
regardless of sex, who had the visceral fat accumulation type of obesity. No
rebound effect was observed. It is therefore expected that G cambogia may be
useful for the prevention and reduction of accumulation of visceral fat. (Curr
Ther Res Clin Exp. 2003;64:551–567) Copyright 2003 Excerpta Medica, Inc.
Key words: Garcinia cambogia, hydroxycitric acid, visceral fat accumulation,
computed tomography scan.
http://www.puregarciniacambogia.com/pdf/study-2.pdf

Obviously, this and other studys indicate your opinions, in part, are misfounded.

The most famous clinical study of garcinia cambogia was published in the Current Therapeutic Research® journal, scientists used Garcinia Cambogia with 60% HCA to study its weight loss effects. What they found was that it causes significant weight loss, lowers food intake and body weight gain as well as tackling factors such as cholesterol, low-density lipoproteins, triglycerides and serum leptin levels. View Clinical Study

So, to recap, a pure garcinia cambogia product works by blocking these enzymes and preventing the formation of these fatty deposits. In essence it not only burns fat we have stored, but also prevents more fat from forming.
Dr OZ
I do not believe you lost 88 pounds in 3 months not unless you weighed over 300 lbs. That would mean you were losing over 7 lbs a week for 12 weeks straight. Sorry I am not buying it.
After reading your post I have come to the conclusion that you have no clue and that you are not being honest.
A calorie deficit is what is needed to lose weight. Not a bunch of supplements and gimmicks.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
I do not believe you lost 88 pounds in 3 months not unless you weighed over 300 lbs. That would mean you were losing over 7 lbs a week for 12 weeks straight. Sorry I am not buying it.
After reading your post I have come to the conclusion that you have no clue and that you are not being honest.
A calorie deficit is what is needed to lose weight. Not a bunch of supplements and gimmicks.
Well my friend, you are free to believe what you wish. No, I was at 300 lbs. But I will show supplements, gimmicks, a diet of 90% veggies & fruits & 10% lean meats (fish, chicken), 2 miles walking a day does, in just a minute with a couple of pics. In fact I am on my way down to the mall to get some pants that fit me today. As to supplements, I only started weight loss supplements 3 weeks ago, just because I have lost all the major fats from my legs and upper body and have this roll hanging in tummy skin to get the fat out of. Gimmick spices, foods, teas I have been doing all along. That bulge in my side view is a hernia from my open heart surgery, that had popped opened.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2mxh6vk.jpg

Last edited by shinning; 10-18-2013 at 11:44 AM..

Old 10-18-2013, 12:21 PM

I think you are overestimating what they are doing for you, and underestimating your own hard work. But if you want to throw your money away on that stuff be my guest.
Remember also that fast weight loss is rarely permanent so I hope you are transitioning into a lifestyle that will sustain you from here on out.
Congrats on you loss.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:26 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Any suggestions?
try putting less food in your mouth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss