Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 12:46 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times

Advertisements

How one Friday or Saturday evening with a burger (non chain) and a few drinks can blow a good week of counting away. Ugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 02:53 PM

147 posts, read 327,958 times
Those Fiber One brownies looked delicious and HUGE on TV...I bought them and they were the size of a saltine. I'd rather splurge and have a "real" brownie!

Old 09-13-2013, 04:08 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,179,691 times
Quote:
The "little" packs of healthy foods, but when you look at serving sizes you realize you can only have a tiny amount - amazing to me! 1/4 cup of anything is not very filling
Serving sizes are like that. Occasionally they will make sense (serving sizes for oatmeal and cheerios and most veggies), but sometimes huge calories in small serving sizes, as you note, in snax, etc...

For little packs of healthy food, a lot of money for that small serving size, too (like health snax ...say, granola bars, Clif bars, etc).

Old 09-14-2013, 08:54 PM

17 posts, read 60,304 times
Chocolate Wine: 440 calories in 1 5oz glass! OMG! If you drank the entire bottle (a stretch, but possible), you'd down 2,250 calories. I knew it'd be worse than regular wine of 120 - but 4x? YIKES.

Old 09-16-2013, 02:13 PM

147 posts, read 327,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogMeat View Post
Chocolate Wine: 440 calories in 1 5oz glass! OMG! If you drank the entire bottle (a stretch, but possible), you'd down 2,250 calories. I knew it'd be worse than regular wine of 120 - but 4x? YIKES.
That's insane...

Old 09-17-2013, 01:57 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,715,510 times
Oh, just about anything at any restaurant...

One of the problems is 'serving size'. When they bring you your chicken dish and there's 3 chicken breasts on the plate...yeah, don't eat them all at once. Ask for a 'take home box' right away. Put two of them in it and close it right up. You don't see it; you don't want it.

Vegetables in a restaurant tastes better than at home?...Butter, lots and lots of butter.

I count calories on my cell-phone. The program even has a scanner for barcodes. No more laboriously entering everything or adding it all up in a little book. Push the button, you've got the numbers. I lost 30 lbs doing that.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:21 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,230,758 times
Baked goods at chain coffee shops like starbucks - omg, one tiny slice of banana bread is 690 calories!! More than a chocolate croissant or a glazed donut. A blueberry muffin is 580! Just insane. I can't imagine what they put in there, a slice of homemade banana bread should only be about 150-170 cal at most. It doesn't even taste good, WAY too sweet.
Oh, and those little cake pops - almost 200 cal a pop! In comparison, chocolate donut holes that are the same size are only about 70-90, and that's a donut, ie deep-fried cake! WTH is in those cake pops??

Old 09-19-2013, 03:25 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,230,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
Oh, just about anything at any restaurant...

One of the problems is 'serving size'. When they bring you your chicken dish and there's 3 chicken breasts on the plate...yeah, don't eat them all at once. Ask for a 'take home box' right away. Put two of them in it and close it right up. You don't see it; you don't want it.

Vegetables in a restaurant tastes better than at home?...Butter, lots and lots of butter.

I count calories on my cell-phone. The program even has a scanner for barcodes. No more laboriously entering everything or adding it all up in a little book. Push the button, you've got the numbers. I lost 30 lbs doing that.
We went to Cheesecake Factory once on vacation, and our food was late so they brought out a complimentary caesar salad. I knew those are rich, but was thinking it's probably like 500-600 calories for the plate, which is still a LOT for a plate of salad. When we got home I looked it up out of curiosity - 980 calories!! Jeez. It didn't even have much cheese or croutons, just a crap-ton of dressing I guess.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:44 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,179,691 times
Restaurant portion sizes are way to big for me now.

And good call on the baked goods. Finding decent baked goods is actually a bit of a challenge! I find myself getting home-baked stuff at famers markets or small-time local bakeries, where maybe there's a "promise" of true baking, vs all the high-cal stuff they load in the manufactured/processed baked goods.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:59 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,482,001 times
Back in my more naive days: muffins.

Most muffins, as I have now discovered, are just sugar & oil laden cupcakes masquerading as "healthy" breakfast foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss