Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2013, 11:12 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,754,623 times

Advertisements

Hey. Hamburgers were a staple of my diet growing up. I am now 27 years old and have just started to have trouble with burgers. I will eat a hamburger, either from a fast food place, restaurant or homemade, and 10-15 minutes later I'll be in the bathroom. It seems to go right through me. This was never the case a year ago. I think my body is slowly starting to reject it. I know i need to start to eat healthy, but my brain wants that goodness. It’s a constant battle between my brain and my stomach. "That burger is good, but you know you'll be sick within minutes of eating it, don't get it!" My brain usually wins this battle and I get the burger, again, fully aware of the consequences of being sick. I need help. I need to eat healthy, but I enjoy it so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 02:10 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
Hey. Hamburgers were a staple of my diet growing up. I am now 27 years old and have just started to have trouble with burgers. I will eat a hamburger, either from a fast food place, restaurant or homemade, and 10-15 minutes later I'll be in the bathroom. It seems to go right through me. This was never the case a year ago. I think my body is slowly starting to reject it. I know i need to start to eat healthy, but my brain wants that goodness. It’s a constant battle between my brain and my stomach. "That burger is good, but you know you'll be sick within minutes of eating it, don't get it!" My brain usually wins this battle and I get the burger, again, fully aware of the consequences of being sick. I need help. I need to eat healthy, but I enjoy it so much!
It's time to make a decision then.

Are you sure it's the presence of hamburger, and not the lack of other nutrition, that's causing the problem? Are you eating that burger with fries? Are you eating a big salad during the same day? Do you sometimes have a peanutbutter sandwich for lunch, instead of a burger? Do you eat 3 meals a day, and only one of those meals is a burger? Do you eat low-starch vegetables? Do you put extra ketchup on the burger? Is that burger with 4 slices of cheese?

See what I mean? I'm not asking you to answer those questions. I'm asking you to consider your *overall* nutritional dietary habits. If you are eating a balanced diet, including the burger, and you're getting sick, then you'll need to just suck it up and cut out the ground beef. If you're not eating a balanced diet, then you need to eat healthy foods in addition to eating the burger. And THEN determine if you're getting sick. Reduce, or eliminate, all the other junk in your daily menu. So if you're getting that burger with fries, switch the fries out for a salad. If you're drinking a soda with that burger, switch the soda out for water.

Find out if it is just the burger, or a lot of things combined, causing the problem.

Of course if you've already done all this and have deduced that it is, indeed, the burger, then you'll have to take a big-boy pill and accept the results of your own choices.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:13 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Is it only burgers that have this effect on you? I'm almost wondering if you've developed IBS or colitis or an intolerance to wheat or dairy.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:12 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,754,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Is it only burgers that have this effect on you? I'm almost wondering if you've developed IBS or colitis or an intolerance to wheat or dairy.
Yes, just burgers.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:16 PM

16,905 posts, read 16,130,561 times
I believe that if you make your burgers at home and instead of using ground beef use ground pork, seasoned, you will not have any problem anymore. Plus, the ground pork is much cheaper, healthier and also delicious!
I have the beef problem as well.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:38 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
I believe that if you make your burgers at home and instead of using ground beef use ground pork, seasoned, you will not have any problem anymore. Plus, the ground pork is much cheaper, healthier and also delicious!
I have the beef problem as well.
How exactly is ground pork healthier than ground beef?

Old 11-07-2013, 07:01 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
How exactly is ground pork healthier than ground beef?
It's healthier for anyone who, for some bizarre and inexplicable reason, have trouble digesting beef, but have no trouble digesting pork?

Old 11-11-2013, 03:49 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
leadingedge04...maybe try having a real yummy healthy meal at hand. Make it ahead of time. Super cravings like you're getting seem to only happen on an empty stomach. Keep fruits you like handy..bananas, whatever, and maybe some good mixed nuts to snack on....it's not the goodness from the burger your brain wants...it's food..I'll bet if you ate something homemade and healthy BEFORE you go out and get that burger you wouldn't even want to anymore.
Make a big pot of stew, and keep it ready in the fridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss