Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 09:45 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times

Advertisements

I'm sure there have been many discussions on this so I'm sorry if I'm repeating something.

Has anyone here had LapBand surgery or know anyone who has? What was the experience like? Pros? Cons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 09:47 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
go to obesityhelp.com to read various blogs and get info from patients.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:23 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
There's several threads in this forum and a good one in the diabetes forum http://www.city-data.com/forum/diabe...diabetics.html. You'll find most (myself included) recommending against the band and going with the RnY instead. I'm 15 months and a day (who's counting? ) post surgery and can answer any questions you have. Feel free to post them here or send me a DM.

BTW, the band makes it much easier to cheat and the RnY is Much less forgiving. You'll appreciate that once you get used to it, trust me.. and they call it the gold standard for a very good reason.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:18 PM

206 posts, read 1,013,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I'm sure there have been many discussions on this so I'm sorry if I'm repeating something.

Has anyone here had LapBand surgery or know anyone who has? What was the experience like? Pros? Cons?
Hello I had the lapband. I was kind of worried about if it did actually work. I had issues with not being at the desired weight loss goal. One thing, I can say if there are any health problems or you are currently @ risk for any go for this. I don't have any regrets . Overall, it does have pros and cons--

Cons-
Slow process for weight loss
Not as fast as the gastric
Frequent regurgitating (spell check)

Pros--
No death associated with surgery
Fast recovery
Easy adjustment

Old 12-06-2011, 08:02 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,679,772 times
Girl at work had it done a few months ago. She continuall stuffs her face with chips and cake and then runs to the bathroom and pukes. She does not look like she has lost any weight to me. I think she has other problems than just being overweight though. She got written up last week for stealing someones peanut butter and then throwing the empty container in someone elses trash so it would look like they stole it.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:01 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
I think before anyone considers these types of surgeries they need to understand completely that they will have to change the way they eat forever. They will have to be healthy, eat smaller portions and yes, exercise! Otherwise they will fall back into the same old habits and gain the weight back.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:01 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
One of my closest friends just had this done last week and she says that she has already lost twenty pounds. She seems to have made a fast recovery (we were all so worried) and is already out & about.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 12-06-2011, 07:28 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
First off, your experience may and probably will vary.. For mine, there was very little pain and I was beyond ready to leave the hospital by the third day. By the fifth day, I was pretty much back to normal and could've easily gone back to work. I took two weeks off, though, just because I didn't want to go back. I did screw up several times and that pain is pure hell (dumping syndrome). After following most directions and exercising my butt off, I literally cut my weight in half. It's not easy, just an amazing and awesome tool. But you have to work and follow the rules. I didn't always, but part of that was because my tastes literally went berserk. I suddenly hated things I loved before such as burgers, steak, hot dogs, and my most hated of all is turkey. I can't even smell it or I get sick and I used to love it. I now eat hardly any meat, love Asian food, hate almost anything fried, don't tolerate carbonated anything, have almost completely eliminated alcohol, and still love and easily tolerate sweets. Anyone that has had the surgery probably can disagree with several of those .
My only real issue is I kinda became addicted to the weight loss and had issues stopping. Then after I did stop trying, my body didn't stop losing. From what the doctors say, we don't have much control over where or when it will stops; your body just does what it wants. I finally stopped around 174 (from about 350), but have recently and mysteriously lost 6 pounds. Doesn't sound like much, but 175 was the normal for my height and most think it looks too thin on me, so this 6 pounds really shows. I hope my body doesn't want to stay here, but I'm not supposed to adjust my diet to gain or lose. No mater what, though, I wouldn't change a thing. How many people are slimmer than when they were 18 and how many have an I weigh too little issue? A billion times better than diabetes, high cholesterol, sweating all the time, breathing heavy, and not being able to keep up with a baby. That's for sure!

Old 07-05-2012, 05:35 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
First off, your experience may and probably will vary.. For mine, there was very little pain and I was beyond ready to leave the hospital by the third day. By the fifth day, I was pretty much back to normal and could've easily gone back to work. I took two weeks off, though, just because I didn't want to go back. I did screw up several times and that pain is pure hell (dumping syndrome). After following most directions and exercising my butt off, I literally cut my weight in half. It's not easy, just an amazing and awesome tool. But you have to work and follow the rules. I didn't always, but part of that was because my tastes literally went berserk. I suddenly hated things I loved before such as burgers, steak, hot dogs, and my most hated of all is turkey. I can't even smell it or I get sick and I used to love it. I now eat hardly any meat, love Asian food, hate almost anything fried, don't tolerate carbonated anything, have almost completely eliminated alcohol, and still love and easily tolerate sweets. Anyone that has had the surgery probably can disagree with several of those .
My only real issue is I kinda became addicted to the weight loss and had issues stopping. Then after I did stop trying, my body didn't stop losing. From what the doctors say, we don't have much control over where or when it will stops; your body just does what it wants. I finally stopped around 174 (from about 350), but have recently and mysteriously lost 6 pounds. Doesn't sound like much, but 175 was the normal for my height and most think it looks too thin on me, so this 6 pounds really shows. I hope my body doesn't want to stay here, but I'm not supposed to adjust my diet to gain or lose. No mater what, though, I wouldn't change a thing. How many people are slimmer than when they were 18 and how many have an I weigh too little issue? A billion times better than diabetes, high cholesterol, sweating all the time, breathing heavy, and not being able to keep up with a baby. That's for sure!
hoping you are still reading this thread...wondering how it's been going after a year and a half for you. Thinking of having this done but worried about failure.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:32 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
I know two people who had this surgery and it failed for both of them. You have to really put some effort into it and not think that you can eat whatever and still loose weight. Also, make sure you are going to a good doctor with good reputation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss