Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2014, 06:46 PM

280 posts, read 422,095 times

Advertisements

I used to be a soda-holic, I'd drink the 32 oz Big Gulp of coke all the time. I've been cold turkey w/no soda (I hate diet and I won't do sugar sodas anymore at all) since 12-20-13. I thought I was ok, but today I saw the soda fountain at the market and I thought I would just get it half full of coke, then I just high tailed it out of the store without buying anything! How do you deal with your cravings of foods you've labeled "no-no's"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 06:56 AM

189 posts, read 326,978 times
The more I fight a craving, the more "healthy" food I eat trying to compensate for the craving. Nothing works and then I just end up the eating original food I was craving plus al the other crap I ate trying to get the craving to go away. I've learned that if I'm having a craving, I'm better off listening to it, otherwise I will overeat and obsess on the original food.

In your case, get a small coke and be done with it. One drink on one day in the long run is not that big of a deal.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:10 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
I eat or drink something else...and watch the craving disappear.
If it was soda? I would have seltzer, stevia and something...maybe real
vanilla or lemon in it for example.
Works every time for me.
Godd luck conquering your mind...you can.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:08 AM

145 posts, read 186,108 times
I don't have any real cravings anymore. If I want something, like a Coke, I will get it.

Since I have stopped eating breakfast, and eat my first meal around noon, that whole "gotta eat something" part of my psyche has been blunted. I just don't think about food that much.

Take that for what it's worth.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:14 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve035 View Post

Since I have stopped eating breakfast, and eat my first meal around noon, that whole
"gotta eat something" part of my psyche has been blunted.
I just don't think about food that much.
I luv it! Very inspiring. When I'm thinking about food, I know I'm in trouble.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:34 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan_Davis View Post
I used to be a soda-holic, I'd drink the 32 oz Big Gulp of coke all the time. I've been cold turkey w/no soda (I hate diet and I won't do sugar sodas anymore at all) since 12-20-13. I thought I was ok, but today I saw the soda fountain at the market and I thought I would just get it half full of coke, then I just high tailed it out of the store without buying anything! How do you deal with your cravings of foods you've labeled "no-no's"
I think you handled it well, actually. You made up your mind not to drink it and didn't get any. With practice, you'll be able do do that without leaving the store.

Other things that have helped me avoid sweets (my downfall) include chewing gum, brushing and flossing my teeth, drinking sparkling water, eating a piece of fruit or taking a walk.

You just have to keep telling yourself that you have decided not to drink soda. To me, that's different from saying "I want it but I'm not going to drink it." It's a decision you have made. If you've decided to do something for a good reason, why would you then do the opposite of what you decided to do?

Old 02-13-2014, 08:44 AM

566 posts, read 1,107,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan_Davis View Post

Personally I search out high cacao 78% or more - unprocessed as much as possible, organic and fair trade chocolate. Nothing added.

Or, try to make another selection of healthy choices. Not something that is now known to cause harm while making the companies BILLIONS at my health's sake.

My biggest one is salty chips. Sure I can find a blend of rice, organic and all that. But I know it is my adrenals telling me something. I go home and have celtic sea salt in water and it goes away.

Corn is in coke. High fructose corn syrup. It's cheap and who cares what it might do to humans?

We know, don't we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss