Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 08:39 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times

Advertisements

Great thread, in my 20's I could stop drinking soda for a week and lose 5lbs. Now it it totally different! And frustrating!

For those of you who used a nutritionist how did you find one? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 04:00 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
The library has all the info you need on nutrition.

Catknap, you are so right. Clean out the kitchen and only bring in the "good" stuff.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:35 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
The library has all the info you need on nutrition.

Catknap, you are so right. Clean out the kitchen and only bring in the "good" stuff.

Thanks, I am looking for more support than a book.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:21 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Nutrition is pretty simple. Common sense and a willingness to eat foods that are good for you and avoid the ones that are bad. If you eat a variety of whole, fresh foods - lean meats, lots of fresh veggies and some fruits, whole grains (not processed breads or cereals), good fats - olive oil, avocado, nuts and nut butters, and stay away from processed, sugar and salt laden foods you will be fine. Drink water, not sodas and juices. Limit sugar intake a lot.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:54 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Nutrition is pretty simple. Common sense and a willingness to eat foods that are good for you and avoid the ones that are bad. If you eat a variety of whole, fresh foods - lean meats, lots of fresh veggies and some fruits, whole grains (not processed breads or cereals), good fats - olive oil, avocado, nuts and nut butters, and stay away from processed, sugar and salt laden foods you will be fine. Drink water, not sodas and juices. Limit sugar intake a lot.
THIS ^^^^

Luckyd609 revealed the secret. Now follow this and lift weights and you WILL lose weight.

Notice he said "...some fruits"!!! Fruits should be eaten at a minimum because of the sugars contained in them. Don't throw a ton of fruit into a blender twice and day and think you are eating healthy.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:04 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
Yep Luckyd609 nailed it in a nutshell.

Problem is, we still crave those things that harm us. That's why the grocery shelves are filled with aisle after aisle of...junk food. Highly profitable for the manufacturers--and highy unhealthy for us.

Food scientists study us and our taste buds. Give us a junk food that's filled with sugar, salt and fat and we keep coming back for more.

Break away from being a lab rat and find your way to a healthy way of eating. It takes determination and will power--but the rewards are huge.

I read books on nutrition and take workshops when I find them...there's good information and support out there for us. We can do this.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:47 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
THIS ^^^^

Luckyd609 revealed the secret. Now follow this and lift weights and you WILL lose weight.

Notice he said "...some fruits"!!! Fruits should be eaten at a minimum because of the sugars contained in them. Don't throw a ton of fruit into a blender twice and day and think you are eating healthy.
Although, not all fruits are created equal. Berries are nutrition-dense and sugar-minimal, compared to - for instance - a ripe pear or peach. Tomatoes are a fruit, though most people forget this. They're fairly low in sugar but high in vitamins.

Like you said, it doesn't mean you should throw a ton in a blender twice a day and think you're eating healthy. But having a few servings of fruits every day that includes berries, tomatoes, and even raw coconut meat, is healthy and nutritious and tasty.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:34 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
I've never been overweight, but at age 43, I suddenly started to get fat on my abdomen, which really annoyed me since I've never had that before. So I know something happens in our 40s (at least for most people) where our bodies accumulate fat easier.

What worked/works for me is that I started lifting a little more weight (I've worked out at the gym and done cardio for over 25 years) at the gym and put on a little more muscle. They say muscle burns fat, so I guess it's true since I lost that belly fat after putting on more muscle. I'm not talking about the 'roided out look, just a little bigger arms/chest/legs.

Other things I do:
  • No fast food, other than maybe Noodles or Chipotle or Wahoos once a week. And I choose what appears to be the healthiest thing on the menu.
  • Take a healthy breakfast/lunch to work every day
  • No soda
  • No red meat
  • Avoid bread (but I love it!)
  • TRY to avoid sweets, but I love my chocolate. Mainly, I try to be moderate with it
  • Walk 2 miles at least 4 times per week
  • Increased my ab workouts
  • I don't eat out much, but when we do, avoid all the chain restaurants that have huge portions/high calorie and high sodium meals
  • Limit alcohol (I love beer, but now it just makes me feel fat and bloated)
  • Drink lots of water
  • Weigh myself at least twice per week. I know if I've put on a pound or two, but it's a lot easier to lose two pounds than 10, so I keep on top of it.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:36 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Tomatoes are a fruit, though most people forget this. They're fairly low in sugar but high in vitamins.
Squash, cucumbers, peppers, and green beans are fruits too.
Your and others' point here is well-made, though: don't go overboard on what's popularly considered fruits, ie the ones with a noticeably sweet taste.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:29 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
I am 55 and have lost about 27 lbs since December, but it was really hard. I was doing some pretty extreme low carbing with daily exercise, and it was still barely moving. So, I'd say the key word for older folks is patience. Lots and lots of patience.

I think that the reason for me is not so much age as it was a blood sugar/insulin problem and it takes awhile to turn that around. I hit a plateau for several mo and started doing the apple cider vinegar in water 2x/day and suddenly dropped 4 lbs so maybe that was it and maybe it was going to come off anyway and maybe it was the fact that I suddenly lost 2 cup sizes in my breasts due to anti-hormonal supplements, lol. No problem--I like a C bra better than a DD and had to go buy all new ones yesterday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss