Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 02:57 PM

368 posts, read 929,419 times

Advertisements

I took a resting assessment at my gym and was told all I'm doing is burning sugar... which means I'm a heavy carb eater and all I burn is carbs, not fat, if I have that right.

So as part of my diet which is leaning towards the gluten-free/Paleo realm since Celiac's is suspected again, I'm supposed to reduce carbs in favor of healthy fats and high proteins. 40% healthy fats, 35% protein, and the rest carbs. This is going to be difficult. Add a protein to breakfast and lunch and dinner... Easy enough, but when I get hungry in between meals at work, what do I eat? I hate avocado, I really do, but everyone is pushing me to eat it. Do I just guzzle olive oil? I was told Clif Bars are good once in a while as a protein source but by no means everyday. I have an allergy to peanuts and cashews and just found out I have a sensitivity to almonds as well! Sunflower seeds? Eck. So I've been drinking water like mad whenever I get hungry because I don't want to break down and go to the vending machine. I have Skinny Popcorn which is quite good and I have given up on my favorite organic granola LoveCrunch because the oats are killing my stomach. I can't have dairy either. Greek yogurt was irritating my stomach as well. Can't see the GI fast enough but basically everything is irritating my stomach these days. Apparently I have some sort of small bowel inflammation (and a wonderful kidney stone) that's making my life miserable. I have fully body inflammation when I wake up and take cold showers every morning to feel better. Making fists actually hurts and socks and even the pattern on my shirt leaves an indentation on my skin. I look about 3 months' pregnant (and believe me I'm not) with this distended belly that I can't figure out.

I'm a picky eater and a carb fiend. I'm really having a hard time finding snacks that I can keep at my desk at work that will fulfill this need without me cooking something additional at home.

Hummus? Beef jerky??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 03:05 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,482,791 times
Hard boiled eggs or sneak in some coconut oil into a greens smoothie. I just tried making a chia pudding that may need a little tweaking. I combined some coconut milk and some chia seeds and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours. The seeds expand and turn into something that looks like pudding. Great source of good fats and filling at the same time. Added a touch of honey and cinnamon to my first batch, but will try with fresh fruit on the next batch.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:10 PM

That sounds good! I'd try that. Thanks! Please PM the recipe if you get a chance. I just see the loss of gluten as the loss of taste. As it is, I'm so bored drinking water but my goal is half my body weight so I'm soldiering on. By this time, I would've enjoyed a nice tall lemonade with my jalapeno burger. None of that anymore.

I'm all about the coconut milk and coconut flour and oil since I'm trying to stay away from gluten. I'll boil some eggs tonight. Someone said to try adding avocado to the hard boiled eggs for a "green egg" recipe but I just can't...

Old 06-03-2014, 03:54 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,783,073 times
You and I share some of the same food issues, although I don't think I have Celiac. But I do have nut allergies and the dairy problem. I'm also allergic to latex and there are many foods which cross-react. So I have to analyze everything I eat, especially when I eat out. Before I ramble on too much and forget my point . . . sunflower seeds. Have you tried the sunflower butter yet? Very similar to peanut butter, if I remember peanut butter correctly. It also goes by the name of tahini, I believe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. But it is quite good used as you would peanut butter. It works for me, at least!

Old 06-03-2014, 04:04 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,798,125 times
Celiac doesn't mean you have to do without carbs, or that you have to go low-carb. Celiac is a disorder that causes your digestive system to react violently to gluten. Not all carbs are gluten. Only certain grains - mostly grasses - have gluten.

Before you try ANY kind of dietary change, given that you have food allergies and a possible digestive disease, you need to consult with the GI doctor. You have to do that FIRST.

The only thing you should be eliminating, for the moment, is anything that is causing your digestive system to freak out. If that means no wheat, then no wheat. If it means no dairy, then no dairy. You shouldn't need a doctor, or someone on the internet, to tell you "if it hurts when you do that - then don't do that."

Meanwhile, as long as it's not giving you any digestive upset, increase your fiber with salads. No iceberg lettuce. Think baby spinach and other baby greens, tomatoes, sweet peppers of various colors, garbanzo beans (aka "chickpeas"), field greens, romaine, green- and red-leaf lettuce, parsley, calamata olives. A simple olive oil with the juice of a lemon wedge is a refreshing dressing that involves no special recipe or preparation. You can add sunflower seeds as a "crunchy" topping to the salad instead of croutons (which you should avoid because they have wheat, therefore gluten). Salads can fill you up for hours; I add a couple ounces of roasted chicken breast to mine when I want a full meal with just salad.

Don't waste money on "gluten-free" substitute foods, until and unless a GI doctor has confirmed that your problem is gluten. You can avoid gluten without analogues, at least for now.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:40 PM

515 posts, read 1,005,032 times
I think you should focus on the quality of your meals rather than snacks. Proper meals, especially as balanced as you want them to be, should leave you feeling full without resorting to snacks. Snacks are kind of a giveaway you eat carbs; you need to graze on something every so often to keep feeling like a normal human being. Once you've restructured your meals, the high protein and higher fat content will leave you feeling more satiated and requiring less, if any, snacks.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:45 PM

4,566 posts, read 5,426,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

Before you try ANY kind of dietary change, given that you have food allergies and a possible digestive disease, you need to consult with the GI doctor. You have to do that FIRST.

THIS ^^^^^

It would be foolish for us to give you any advice right now. Go get this checked out first.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:49 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,603,095 times
Peanuts and almonds

Old 06-03-2014, 07:18 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,798,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Peanuts and almonds
If you'd read the post, you'd see the OP is -allergic- to peanuts, and he has a "sensitivity" to almonds.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:40 PM

I agree with all of the above except I can't get an appointment with a GI for several weeks. Meanwhile, most everything seems to be irritating my stomach, even the water I'm drinking. I'm getting a shooting pain in my stomach once every hour or so and although I feel a bit foolish going to the ER, I feel something is very wrong. I have been eating complete meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner and the snacking has gone down to a minimum. I've been drinking water instead so even though I asked about snacks, please don't think that I'm relying on snacking for my primary food. I do get hungry in between meals since I have breakfast very early in the morning but I didn't want to rely on the usual protein bars.

As it stands today, my CT scan showed small bowel inflammation and a kidney stone but blood work came back - no Celiac's! Additional sensitivities identified from bloodwork now are soybeans and sesame oil! Two more to add to the list. I also have a sensitivity to chicken and turkey and have been told to avoid beef, my favorite, because it's fatty and may cause aggravation.

I feel literally twisting in my left abdomen once or twice an hour but no GI can see me in the next 2-3 days. Plus I'm getting on a plane to visit my mother-in-law on Saturday and I hate to get on a plane with this nonsense going on with my system. I have a daily low-level headache that Tylenol does nothing for (avoiding ibuprofen due to stomach issues) and have had a 6-week menstrual cycle. Meanwhile, but for the CT scan results, I'm "all clear" according to the doctors. Quite honestly, I don't know if I'm going to get much of a better answer at the ER, since I really need a GI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss