Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2014, 09:13 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Nope and I didn't say anything about soda. If a cookie has 28 grams of carbohydrate and 14 grams of fat then 112 calories would come from carbohydrate and 126 calories from fat. Obviously 126 is more than 112. But this is what I originally said:

"Its common for people to associate pizza, cookies, etc with carbohydrates but these foods are usually very high in fat and often have more fat than carbohydrates."

As you can see, I didn't claim that the fat content is always higher than the carbohydrate content just that those types of foods are usually very high in fat. And they are. Most of the foods people associate with "carbs" are foods that are both high in carbohydrates and fat.
You're still wrong with your numbers, consult nutriontdata.

In all three instances above there are more calories from carbs than fat.

Go head walk around and spike your insulin all day with your "healthy" carb diet. Open yourself up to disease, no one here will stop you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 10:16 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
geez, way to nitpick word usage. How about you add "can" in between carbs and indirectly. Feel better now?
They also can "not" make you fat. It's possible to get fat eating carbs, and it's possible to NOT get fat eating carbs.

Ask the Irish whether or not eating potatoes made them fat, before the Famine. High carbs, high glycemic load - not a whole lot of fat people in Ireland.

Quote:
And seriously, fat people didn't eat in moderation to get there. Over eating carbs indirectly makes people fat, in the ways I just described. While energy in-out is very important, you can't ignore how the different macro's impact the body when eaten.
That's what I've been saying, but you keep claiming that you disagree. OVEREATING makes people fat.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:12 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,749,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You're right, it's not complex at all. You have to reduce your caloric intake to lose weight. Most foods, with and without carbs, have calories. Many calorie-rich foods have little or no carbs at all. If you are replacing carbs with low-carb/high calorie, you will still not lose weight.

If you switch out that pizza with a bucket of low-carb fried chicken, you're not going to lose weight.
If you replace the cookies with low-carb deep-fried oatbran pancakes drizzled with a low-carb teaspoon of agave nectar, you're not going to lose weight.

Carbs don't make people fat. OVEREATING makes people fat.
I said if you go on a low carb diet you will lose weight. I did not say that you would lose weight if you ate 1,700 lbs of steak. if you eat 2000 calories a day of bread and sugar, and you switch over to veggies and protein and maintain the same caloric intake, you will lose weight.

p.s. you don't need to reduce you caloric intake to lose weight at all. you have to burn more calories than you take in. you can lose weight through exercise.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:27 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
I said if you go on a low carb diet you will lose weight. I did not say that you would lose weight if you ate 1,700 lbs of steak. if you eat 2000 calories a day of bread and sugar, and you switch over to veggies and protein and maintain the same caloric intake, you will lose weight.

p.s. you don't need to reduce you caloric intake to lose weight at all. you have to burn more calories than you take in. you can lose weight through exercise.
You are correct, the body stores fat but the precursor to this step is insulin in the blood, without insulin your body will burn the energy rather than store it. Excess carbs = more insulin = fat.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:31 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post

Diet is 90% of the equation. A calorie is a calorie. You cannot out exercise a diet that doesn't reduce calories unless you are training hard for hours a day.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:41 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saigafreak View Post
No, but observationally it appears that sugar or HFCS is the triggering mechanism that makes all carbohydrates, complex or simple, automatically fattening.
No studies show that sugar makes carbohydrates "automatically fattening" and really talking about "sugar" in general makes little sense as fructose and glucose are metabolized in much different ways.

The body is, in general, very reluctant to convert carbohydrates into fat because the process is inefficient and around 20~30% of the energy is lost. Instead it prefers to use carbohydrates, especially glucose, for energy and to store in glycogen.

Quote:
So, if you live a vegan diet from cradle to grave and generally avoided sugar all your life, I suppose you could argue what you're arguing.
I'm not sure why you're talking about vegan diets but one doesn't need to avoid sugar all their life to maintain a healthy weight.

Quote:
The world is loaded with people on true low-fat diets rich in complex carbs who cannot take off the weight, possibly for the this reason.
The world is loaded with people on low-fat diets, but not so much in America. Obesity is very rare in traditional populations that eat low-fat and high carbohydrate diets where as its common in modern populations eating higher fat diets. Seems painfully obvious that carbohydrates don't make you fat and have nothing to do with the current issues in the United States.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
In all three instances above there are more calories from carbs than fat.
Still no and as I pointed out, I never suggested that all junk foods have more fat than carbohydrates instead I said that they tend to be high in fat even though people think of them as "carbs".

If a cookie has 28 grams of carbohydrate and 14 grams of fat then more calories are from fat. 1 gram of carbohydrate is 4 calories and 1 gram of fat is 9 calories. 28 * 4 = 112 < 126 = 14 * 9 so the cookie you mentioned is more than 50% fat.

Quote:
Go head walk around and spike your insulin all day with your "healthy" carb diet.
Increased insulin after eating a carbohydrate rich meal is a normal part of how your body works, its by no means harmful. What is harmful is high blood sugar and I by no means have high blood sugar, I have great insulin control.

Quote:
You are correct, the body stores fat but the precursor to this step is insulin in the blood, without insulin your body will burn the energy rather than store it. Excess carbs = more insulin = fat.
Your body can store fat independently of insulin, insulin just allows fat cells to convert carbohydrates into fats but is not required for fat cells to absorb fats you've eaten. But storing excess energy in fat tissue is a normal part of how your body works, when you eat a meal you can't use all the energy right away so your body has to store whatever it doesn't need right away. There are only two options, glycogen (stored carbohydrates) and fat tissue, so everyone goes from storing fat/carbohydrate to burning fat/depleting glycogen multiple times in a day. You only become overweight when you consistently over-feed and its going to happen whether you're eating carbohydrates or fat.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:20 AM

283 posts, read 385,495 times
It's simple: I can eat more calories per day while losing weight if the majority of the calories is fat and protein. I can eat fewer calories per day while losing weight if they come from empty calorie starches like wheat, corn and potatoes.

The low-fatters don't believe this dynamic is particularly equitable (remember: no pain, no gain) so they evoke an outdated heart disease boogeyman to make themselves feel better, or perhaps in some cases for vegans to desperately convince people to reduce the slaughter of precious livestock. This kind of stuff worked last time when Atkins diet folks went to their doctor, and their doctor baffled at their weight loss from all the fat intake, was convinced that it didn't seem right, therefore it must be a fad. They summarily convinced their patients to get off the diet because of ancient nutritional research that is now heavily disputed. Given the staggering amount of more modern studies refuting the lipid hypothesis, plus the low-carb lifestyle attacking on multiple fronts (paleo, primal, etc.) I don't think this will succeed the second go around. I want to preemptively say sorry to all the "save the aminals" vegans out there. Your precious creatures of the earth will still be delicious meals for generations to come.

Last edited by saigafreak; 06-24-2014 at 05:34 AM..

Old 06-24-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
It's simple: I can eat more calories per day while losing weight if the majority of the calories is fat and protein. I can eat fewer calories per day while losing weight if they come from empty calorie starches like wheat, corn and potatoes.
Perhaps you have a metabolic disease? This isn't how the body normally functions. One will lose weight, regardless of the source of the calories, if they eat less than they burn but dietary tricks like Atkins don't have much long-term success.

Quote:
The low-fatters don't believe this dynamic is particularly equitable (remember: no pain, no gain) so they evoke an outdated heart disease boogeyman to make themselves feel better, or perhaps in some cases for vegans to desperately convince people to reduce the slaughter of precious livestock.
Again, I'm not sure what any of this has to do with vegans. We aren't discussing vegan diets, and a low-fat diet doesn't have to be vegan, we are discussing carbohydrates and fats.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:51 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:

The low-fatters don't believe this dynamic is particularly equitable (remember: no pain, no gain) so they evoke an outdated heart disease boogeyman to make themselves feel better, or perhaps in some cases for vegans to desperately convince people to reduce the slaughter of precious livestock. This kind of stuff worked last time when Atkins diet folks went to their doctor, and their doctor baffled at their weight loss from all the fat intake, was convinced that it didn't seem right, therefore it must be a fad. They summarily convinced their patients to get off the diet because of ancient nutritional research that is now heavily disputed. Given the staggering amount of more modern studies refuting the lipid hypothesis, plus the low-carb lifestyle attacking on multiple fronts (paleo, primal, etc.) I don't think this will succeed the second go around. I want to preemptively say sorry to all the "save the aminals" vegans out there. Your precious creatures of the earth will still be delicious meals for generations to come.
You are not automatically 'a low fatter' if you do not follow Atkins, Paleo, or any other meat & fat diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss