Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 09:04 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Its a willpower and mental issue rather than a addiction. Next time you hear someone saying "I have a sugar addiction" ask them when it was diagnosed by a medical professional. They will say, "I....er...uh...I just think im addicted because I just love doughnuts and cant help myself around ice cream". That is the sign of a fatty who cant stop eating crappy foods. It has NOTHING to do with addiction.
Like I said you can argue about whether sugar is an addiction or not. I don't care to argue with you. However, many people struggle with trying to stay away from sugar, not just fat people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 09:17 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
However, many people struggle with trying to stay away from sugar, not just fat people.
True. But the overwhelming majority of those who do "struggle with sugar" ARE obese people. I would guess to say that the percentages of skinny people who "struggle with staying away from sugar" are lower than the percentage of left handed Hasidic Jews who have bigfoot encounters while walking to Temple.

Using myself as an example, I LOVE sugar. LOVE IT. Love marshmallaws, lucky charms, double stuf oreos, birthday cakes, etc. But I dont eat them. Why? Because I make my decisions based on intellect instead of emotion. I know sugar is bad for me, so even though I LOVE it, I dont eat it. Easy.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:27 PM

49 posts, read 61,448 times
Quote:
No such thing as sugar addiction. People just need to be smart with their decision making when it comes to the food they eat. Sugar addiction is nothing but an excuse fat people make when they get tired of their usual "I eat because of my depression" excuse.
You are wrong about this. And mean-spirited as well.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:47 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
True. But the overwhelming majority of those who do "struggle with sugar" ARE obese people. I would guess to say that the percentages of skinny people who "struggle with staying away from sugar" are lower than the percentage of left handed Hasidic Jews who have bigfoot encounters while walking to Temple.

Using myself as an example, I LOVE sugar. LOVE IT. Love marshmallaws, lucky charms, double stuf oreos, birthday cakes, etc. But I dont eat them. Why? Because I make my decisions based on intellect instead of emotion. I know sugar is bad for me, so even though I LOVE it, I dont eat it. Easy.
You still struggle to stay away from it don't you?

Old 10-09-2014, 11:46 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,987,049 times
Default Anyone ever successfully gotten over SUGAR addiction?

Yes. I now hate sweet stuff. When I cut out all sugar (I never had it as a staple) I found I had more energy. The only sugar I was taking was from chocolate. Cutting that out was hard but I found eating a raw carrot took away that after dinner craving for something sweet. Of course I eat fruit but I prefer the less sweet fruits. Avocado is my favourite and those have very little sugar.

Old 10-10-2014, 05:46 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
You still struggle to stay away from it don't you?
Im glad you asked that. I DONT. I cant change what I (my taste buds) like, but I CAN use smarts and common sense to stay away from it. Sugar is bad. SUGAR IS BAD!!! My health and fitness level is way more important to me and makes me happier than eating an entire row of double stuf oreos. Sugar is a killer. I know it doesnt fall into the category of healthy nutrition, so I dont eat it, I dont have it in the house. Very simple so there is no "struggle" as you say.

I simply dont eat sugar because I know its bad and unhealthy. Just like I dont drive 120 mph at night with the headlights off and without wearing a seat belt, or poke rattlesnakes with a stick, or go surfing after a couple of glasses of cabernet. These things may all be fun and enjoyable at that moment, but they are all stupid things to do so I dont do them. Staying away from sugar is the same.

It really is THAT easy to stay away from sugar. Once you KNOW something is bad for you, you just dont do it. You stop it. If you dont, then its a mental issue.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:57 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
Quote:
It really is THAT easy to stay away from sugar. Once you KNOW something is bad for you, you just dont do it. You stop it. If you dont, then its a mental issue.
Well, for me, it really is not THAT easy. I'm a smart person; I know sugar is bad for me. But if it's in my house, I'll eat it -- all of it, until it's gone.

Fortunately I live alone so I have complete control over what comes into my house, I'm retired and I'm at home most of the time, and I hardly ever eat out. So for me the key is to exercise extreme self-control when I'm at the grocery store. If I can prevent myself from buying sugary foods, I'm fine.

My Publix recently had Entenman's chocolate-covered donuts buy-one-get-one-free. I had to literally tell myself -- out loud -- "Look away from the donuts. Look away from the donuts."

Old 10-10-2014, 08:30 AM

88,585 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Congrats to you too on quitting smoking. In my experience of sitting in WW meetings for 3 years, it's a good program for people who need to lose 20-30 lbs. Even the two WW leaders in my group who lost 80+ lbs did it on other diets then switched to WW to maintain. Like you, I didn't like all the tracking and counting. Like you said, it forces you to obsess about food all day which I find counter-productive. They also push too much processed food. All their cookie bars, that are 2 points each, don't do me any good when I can't keep myself from sitting down and eating the whole box, LOL
That would be my problem with ANY kind of cookies. Or candy. I can't just eat two cookies or a few pieces of candy. I will eat the whole box or bag. I cannot stop.

Earlier this year I bought several boxes of Girl Scout cookies from my neighbor. When she delivered them, I immediately put them in the trunk of my car to take to work the next day and give away. If I hadn't, I would have eaten all of them in a day or so.

I can't buy Halloween candy in advance of Halloween.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Its all about making better decisions and not making excuses and looking for support group to help you with your excuses by saying "I totally understand' or "I get it". Best help for many people like this is a big dose of reality and not hand holding and kumba ya.

Biggest excuses people make for when they are overweight:

1. "Oh, I have depression and my meds make me gain weight. That, and eating makes me feel better" - to this I say get out and exercise because its PROVEN to cure depression.

2. "Im fat because of my thyroids" - To this I say, oh really, when did your doctor diagnose you with this thyroid issue? Are you taking medication?

3. "Im addicted to sugar". To this I say BALONEY!! You just cant stop eating sugary, sweet, bad-for-you foods. Pick up a book on nutrition, start exercising and you will have NO DESIRE to eat crappy sugary foods again.

It really is very very simple. Go to the market, dont buy soda, dont buy fruit juices, dont get cupcakes, doughnuts, breads, cookies, etc. It works. As soon as your mind starts telling you "Oh, get these frosted vanilla cupcakes with the rainbow sprinkles", just say to yourself "NO, I need to eat healthy and lose weight for not only my own health, but also for my children who look up to me. Then go grab some avocados and spinach instead.
You're ignoring the emotional part. Sugar makes me feel happy...temporarily. Of course, exercise makes me feel happy, too, and I know that NOW, but when you are sad or depressed, the thought of getting relief from the pain by eating a bag of candy comes easier than does putting on sneakers and walking two miles.

Yes, telling yourself to eat healthfully is good WHEN YOU HAVE REACHED THAT LEVEL THAT YOU WANT TO BE HEALTHIER, but you are not always at that point. Sometimes, when the mood is "what's the difference? Nobody cares about me. I don't matter to anyone", then that bag of candy seems just the thing. It's like having a friend.

As a matter of fact, that's probably true for all addictions. When I quit smoking, I felt as if I'd lost my closest friend.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:

And we all bow and scrape to your vast superiority. Yes, it would be GREAT to base our decisions on intellect instead of emotion, but if that were so damn easy to do, therapists would be out of business, now wouldn't they.

Go pat your big ole self on the back with the smug knowledge that you SHOWED those people on City-Data how much better and smarter you are than they! Try not to break your arm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss