Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 12:30 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
Usually fruits (mostly apples), veggies, some nuts (almonds, cashews, walnuts), tuna, hard boiled egg whites, edamame, and legumes (lentils, garbanzo, black). On occasion, I will have a dark chocolate with almonds to satisfy cravings for sweets.
Are you a vegetarian? If not get some meat in there, if not add tofu. Eat the whole egg and not just the egg whites. Full fat greek yogurt is another great choice.
It seems you are simply not eating enough satiating foods and possibly not enough calories. You need to feed your body in order for it to lose weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 12:33 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,211,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Lastly, why do you want to get to 160? Do you feel you looked better at 160 than 170? Could there be a possibility that you've gained some muscle in the last couple years which is making the 160 much harder to obtain?
Yeah, 160-165 felt pretty good when I was there a couple years back. I was slim, feeling good about my body condition (what it looked like; not much excess flab), and I comfortably fit into my clothes (medium shirts - 15.5 - 32; 32/32 pants). At 170, I'm very close to that, but not quite there.

I've done some free-weight lifting, but nothing too serious. I'm just trying to look tone and slim, I'm not trying to bulk up too much. I'm a cyclist and a runner, so aerodynamics is what I'm aiming for.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Are you a vegetarian? If not get some meat in there, if not add tofu. Eat the whole egg and not just the egg whites. Full fat greek yogurt is another great choice.
It seems you are simply not eating enough satiating foods and possibly not enough calories. You need to feed your body in order for it to lose weight.
I eat chicken breast and ground turkey (99% lean) mostly for my main meals. I also eat lean pork loin chops from time to time. I limit red meat to a few times per month. I do also eat Chobani Greek Yogurt as a snack.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:37 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,375,836 times
Quote:
Yeah, 160-165 felt pretty good when I was there. I was slim, feeling good about my body condition, and I comfortably fit into my clothes (medium shirts - 15.5 - 32; 32/32 pants). At 170, I'm very close to that, but not quite there.

I've done some free-weight lifting, but nothing too serious. I'm just trying to look tone and slim, I'm not trying to bulk up too much. I'm a cyclist and a runner, so aerodynamics is what I'm aiming for.
You avoided my comment regarding complex carbs and then later mentioned quoted someone else and mentioned your primary source of carb intake was fruit (mostly apples) and veggies.

Like I said earlier.. You need to cut WAY back on the fruit and add in complex carbs. That will help your hunger and be better for your goals.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
You avoided my comment regarding complex carbs and then later mentioned quoted someone else and mentioned your primary source of carb intake was fruit (mostly apples) and veggies.

Like I said earlier.. You need to cut WAY back on the fruit and add in complex carbs. That will help your hunger and be better for your goals.
Oh, sorry, I was focusing too much on the other comments. Yeah, for breakfast I usually eat a bowl of oatmeal with dried cranberries, walnuts, and a high-protein, low-carb skim milk drink. As for the fruit intake, I usually eat 1-2 apples a day.

Aside from the oatmeal, what are some other complex carb ideas I can fit in as snacks throughout the day?

Old 10-21-2014, 12:47 PM

4,560 posts, read 5,416,094 times
Quote:
Usually fruits (mostly apples), veggies, some nuts (almonds, cashews, walnuts), tuna, hard boiled egg whites, edamame, and legumes (lentils, garbanzo, black). On occasion, I will have a dark chocolate with almonds to satisfy cravings for sweets.
As another poster said, it could be that 170 is the optimal weight for your body. I am 6' 1" and 174 lbs and this seems to be where my body tends to stay when I am just on a "normal" (normal for me) workout and nutrition plan. I do cardio in the early mornings (7 mile run, or 45 minutes double under jump rope, or heavy bag routines) followed by some yoga and in the afternoon/evening I do resistance either a Crossfit workout or HIT.

Maybe you can try to break up your workout sessions to twice per day. You average 24 posts on CD per day so maybe you can allocate some of your CD time to workout time. I have great success with early morning cardio then resistance training later in teh day and so do all of the people I train. I found this to be the most effective in dropping the weight, losing fat and improving health/fitness.

Instead of aiming for a goal weight, try now to switch your focus on PERFORMANCE. You jog/run 5.5 miles five days per week? Start timing yourself now. Have a goal to complete that 5.5 miles faster each day. With this, your focus is on improving your FITNESS and your HEALTH which is more important that what the scale says. Being a dude at 170 lbs, you dont really need to place anymore effort in losing weight. Start with improving your fitness level. Before you know it, by switching to performance goals instead of weight goals, you'll feel 1000x better, will look better, and realize that weight loss really isnt that important for you at your size and current weight.

You can iron out your nutritional intake plan by picking up a couple of books on nutrition from your local Barnes and Noble store. This would be a good start for you.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:00 PM

4,560 posts, read 5,416,094 times
Quote:

Aside from the oatmeal, what are some other complex carb ideas I can fit in as snacks throughout the day?
Why the primary focus of complex carbs for snacks? Solidify your entire nutritional intake there really wouldnt be much need for snacks, or, your snacks could be something other than complex carbs.

But you must have complex carbs as a snack, try:

Boiled yam
Broccoli
Or for something easier I like the CarbMaster Yogurt that every market sells
I also sometimes keep a tupperware container of cooked quinoa. I wash it, soak it in water, then cook in with a mix of low sodium broth and water.

Other snacks that I like to eat:

Air popped plain popcorn (NOT microwave) with added garlic powder
Trader Joes crunchy almond butter and reduced sugar preserves sandwich on whole wheat
Bowl of cottage cheese with cranberries
Trader Joes raw trail mix
Raw celery, carrot or baby spinach

I ONLY snack twice per day between breakfast and lunch; and between lunch and dinner. Only time I allow myself to have a snack after dinner is if I have a really intense yoga or martial arts practice session.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Why the primary focus of complex carbs for snacks?
I was responding specifically to another poster's comment.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:41 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Might be the fruit, i try to keep fruit intake at 20% and vegetables at 80%
4http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...-make-fat.html

Old 10-21-2014, 01:47 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Oh, sorry, I was focusing too much on the other comments. Yeah, for breakfast I usually eat a bowl of oatmeal with dried cranberries, walnuts, and a high-protein, low-carb skim milk drink. As for the fruit intake, I usually eat 1-2 apples a day.

You really need to incorporate more fat into your diet. Drink whole milk and eat full fat yogurt. Use olive oil when you can, eat avocados and whole eggs. I would toss the dried cranberries, they are full of sugar. Peanut butter is another great option. Do not be afraid of fat. You will be eating less in the long run because you will get full faster and stay full longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss