Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 06:03 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,866,126 times

Advertisements

I think the quantity of the cheese would be a bigger question than whether the sour cream should be light or not.

If you're worried about the tortillas, you can always sub low carb wraps instead. The beans already have a lot of fiber, so the extra fiber in the low carb wraps might make you gassy though.

I can't imagine making bean and cheese burritos with kidney beans instead of refried beans. I don't think the sodium content of canned kidney beans is that much lower than the refried beans. Yes, you can rinse them, but a lot of that sodium will have been absorbed by the beans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 09:38 PM

192 posts, read 250,360 times
I say 6. It'd be much healthier without the cheese. Too complicated.

Nothing wrong with carbs.
Eggs are bad. They're not food. They're the highly toxic waste(period) of an abused animal.

,Gary High-Fruit

Old 11-02-2014, 10:39 PM

11,020 posts, read 5,981,700 times
Lets see? Cheese, sour cream, refined flour, salt - it's off the scale. I give it a 10.

Quote:
If you added avocado you'd have to add a lot more, if you planned on tasting it, and the extra calories add up fast since they are so high in fat.
But avocado have zero sugar. If you want to lose weight, eat avocado - lots of it! Ask me how I know (yes sure I was only 4kg over weight but it was the cashews and avocado that got the last kg off).

Quote:
And weren't you the guy that thought egg yolks are bad? You can't be taken seriously.
One can be forgiven for thinking egg yolk is bad. There has been a lifelong campaign claiming egg yolk was bad, stemming from the days of ignorance. Apparently dairy fat is not as bad as has been made out either but the jury is still out on that one.

One does need fats to be able to properly digest and absorb certain nutrients and dairy is tailor made to facilitate the absorption of the nutrients it contains - for a calf. But consuming just the fats part? I don't know. I do know that cheese will raise one's cholesterol level if too much is consumed and that is made from full cream milk. So I'd say lose the sour cream and the cheese and the refined flour.

Quote:
Eggs are bad. They're not food. They're the highly toxic waste(period) of an abused animal.
Explain? I know about the abused animals - I have three battery farm rescues living with me and happy chooks they are (they're unconfined and have been known to visit the neighbours - like daily!)

Last edited by 303Guy; 11-02-2014 at 10:48 PM..

Old 11-03-2014, 04:09 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,047,178 times
I love this type of food but I would make it a burrito bowl with no tortilla, no cheese and no sour cream - black beans, cumin, garlic, roasted onions and red and yellow peppers, 1/3 of a medium avocado (sliced), salsa, a sprinkling of cilantro and a squeeze of fresh lime - I ate this dish many times when I lost all my weight over 2 years ago....I still eat this way - it's good! If you want a little sour cream taste - opt for non-fat Fage Greek yogurt - 1 tablespoon is less than 10 calories and tastes just like sour cream.

Last edited by Cattknap; 11-03-2014 at 04:26 PM..

Old 11-03-2014, 05:01 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
3-4. I'd say it mostly depends upon the person. If it's someone who's trying to lose weight, then no sour cream or cheese, or very little. It's it's someone trying to lower cholesterol, lose the sour cream and cheese (again). Lettuce is good for just about everyone. Refried beans? Fried foods aren't that good for you but at least you're getting some beans into your diet for nutrients and fiber. Avocado is more nutritious than sour cream for most people, especially if you're already getting your dairy from the cheese. If the person is trying to eat low sodium, then avoid the refried beans definitely.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:31 PM

192 posts, read 250,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Explain?
Eggs are for reproduction. They don't exist for food; that's why they have no aroma or taste(till you cook it. and salt & pepper is helpful). And it's hard for humans to break down animal products.

I'm not expecting you to except that, since you think sugar is 'fattening' and fat is slimming.(lack of glucose in the brain)

Old 11-03-2014, 10:38 PM

11,020 posts, read 5,981,700 times
Quote:
Eggs are for reproduction. They don't exist for food;
That's true but we can eat them anyway.

Quote:
... that's why they have no aroma or taste ...
Actually, they are free from aroma in an attempt to keep them from been eaten. They also have clever camo sometimes and birds can be pretty good at hiding them. Egg eating snakes can smell them or the signs of them and they can eat nothing else.

Only fruit exists to be eaten. Mothers milk too but only for infants and cows milk was never for human consumption.

My information has it that eggs are an exceptional brain nutrient. Fats are more satiating and are digested/absorbed slowly so they don't shock the system like sugar does. Fats provide a steady energy supply which is why one should have enough of the right fats for losing weight. Fats are also essential for brain and cell health. But not too much fat and not saturated fats. Balance is the key. Sugar and refined carbs have no place in a balanced diet.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:40 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
1 is NOT UNhealthy...10 is 'as Unhealthy as it gets'.

2 bean burritos made with white soft flour tortillas with:

-Ortega canned vegetarian refried beans
-Half a cup chopped white onion
-Half a cup chopped green pepper
-Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
-Shredded lettuce
-1 teaspoon light sour cream
-1 teaspoon Texas Pete hot sauce
Cut the canned beans and use fresh
Cheese adds calories
Sour cream adds calories
Tortillas arent bad but arent good.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:46 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
1 is NOT UNhealthy...10 is 'as Unhealthy as it gets'.

2 bean burritos made with white soft flour tortillas with:

-Ortega canned vegetarian refried beans
-Half a cup chopped white onion
-Half a cup chopped green pepper
-Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
-Shredded lettuce
-1 teaspoon light sour cream
-1 teaspoon Texas Pete hot sauce
Dump the vegetarian refried beans and go with traditional refried beans
white onion is good
green pepper is good
the cheese is good
letter is good
dump the light sour cream and use the real stuff
I personally don't care for hot sauce but if you like it go for it

If you have a couple of the above a few times a month and work it into your daily consumption of food you should have no issues or long lasting residuals when it comes to your health.
You can eat what you want when you want you just have to account for it so if you want 3 pastries for breakfast go for it but after that you are done for the day unless you exercise enough to get back some of the calories from the food via exercise. Then you can have something else to use up the calories you gained back.

For lunch today I had 2 tacos on white flour tortillas, 81% ground beef, 1 serving of traditional refried beans split between the 2 tacos, white onion, chopped tomato and mexican blend cheese.
I will probably have the same thing for lunch tomorrow.
For breakfast I had 2 servings of instant oatmeal and 12 grapes.
For supper I had 1/2 cup of cottage cheese and 12 grapes.
For exercise I typed words on the forum in between naps.

Old 11-04-2014, 03:03 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,558,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csd610 View Post
for exercise i typed words on the forum in between naps.
ha ha ha. sounds like my kind of exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss