Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 09:09 AM

8,952 posts, read 20,376,989 times

Advertisements

I'm 58 and had a hip replacement in 2005 and had shoulder surgery last year in '07. Both surgerons told me that I could NOT do any type of "high impact" exercises or sports.....like water skiing, snow skiing, etc. I'm around 25 pounds overweight.
My wife, 60, has asthma and some allergies so she can not do any "high impact" exercising either and she is overweight by 20 pounds. During the winter months, we don't do much, but during the summer months we do love boating and fishing. We both have "desk" type jobs. I can only walk so much before my hip replacement starts saying "enough" to me (some pain) and I don't want to screw up the repair to my shoulder (tendons). One of our BIG problems is.......we love to eat! We do eat healthy foods, but we still like our "meat and potatoes", chips, pie and popcorn. You get the idea. We don't like LoCal drinks or food. Also, we don't smoke. We take vitamins daily.
When we see the advertisements on TV for weight loss and fitness/exercise products/Centers, we very seldom see any older folks (55+) in the picture. Why is that?? We really believe that some folks think "I'm now in my 60's, I know I don't look like I did when I was in my 30's/40's and much more active, but oh-well, this is the way I look, just deal with it."
Any thoughts???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 09:15 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,329,701 times
I think as now the first baby boomer turned 60 you will probably see a lot more 60+ in advertisements for health, weight loss etc. As a matter of fact Nutrisystem runs commercials all the time and Don Shula and his wife do a version for the Nutrisystem for Seniors I believe it is called. I see the commercial all the time.

Might that be something you and your wife would be interested in to lose the weight? You both don't have too much weight to lose.

Since you both have "limitations" on your exercise, could you possibly meet with a personal trainer a few times to set you up on individualized programs?

Good luck,

Nicole

Old 01-02-2008, 09:37 AM

When I do see more 60+ people doing commercials for weight loss, then I will happy. Don Shula and his wife aren't your normal "everyday" people.....they are well known. Also, personal trainers cost money.
I guess there just isn't any "really good" answer to weight loss and fitness for our age bracket......especially for people with "limitations".
Thanks for you help though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
I think as now the first baby boomer turned 60 you will probably see a lot more 60+ in advertisements for health, weight loss etc. As a matter of fact Nutrisystem runs commercials all the time and Don Shula and his wife do a version for the Nutrisystem for Seniors I believe it is called. I see the commercial all the time.

Might that be something you and your wife would be interested in to lose the weight? You both don't have too much weight to lose.

Since you both have "limitations" on your exercise, could you possibly meet with a personal trainer a few times to set you up on individualized programs?

Good luck,

Nicole

Old 01-02-2008, 09:25 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,254,417 times
People always say swimming is a good exercise to prevent joint degeneration and such.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:38 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,387,993 times
Hey I'm happy to see you made to North Carolina! I suggest you cut back on the snack food and drink lots of water, too bad you can't going hiking in the mountains. Good luck and enjoy being where I would love to be right now!

Old 01-03-2008, 01:52 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
LoveBoating, buy a couple of bicycles, or a tandem bike. That's a nice and relaxing way to get some exercise in the fresh air.
If it's too cold out, buy a recumbent exercise bike for indoors. Try some of Leslie Sansone's workout DVD's/tapes for 50+. She has people in her videos into their 70's. Fitness for any age.
She also has a great Yoga DVD, nice and relaxing, slow movements but with big results.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
When I do see more 60+ people doing commercials for weight loss, then I will happy. Don Shula and his wife aren't your normal "everyday" people.....they are well known. Also, personal trainers cost money.
I guess there just isn't any "really good" answer to weight loss and fitness for our age bracket......especially for people with "limitations".
Thanks for you help though.
Yes personal trainers do cost money but so do chips, pie, etc and all the other junk food that you say you like to eat. You say you want to lose weight. With all due respect you seem to be using your "limitations" as a crutch. You say there is no "good answer" for weight loss for people with your age and with your "limitations" yet people who are much older and with many more "limitations" are able to do it.

You say that Don Shula and his wife are not every day people-so if you saw regular seniors in the NS commercial you would sign up?

I am really not trying to be nasty and I wholeheartedly apologize if I come across that way but do you really want to lose weight? You seem to imply that because there are not every day joe average seniors on tv there is no plan for you. That is simply not true. It all boils down to one simple thing-eat better and exercise more. I know easier said than done! In your and your wife's case you need a specialized low impact exercise plan and maybe some help with a nutritional plan.

Cut back on the junkfood and use the money for a FEW lessons with a personal trainer. If you lose weight and improve your health the money will be more than well spent. Isn't better health a wonderful benefit? Do you have a local senior center you could call who might offer discounts for people 60+? I am sure that there is something out there for you , probably with some type of discount if you really look. Is there a Y or something that offers "low impact classes"? This time of year there should be a lot out there as this is the time for resolutions and such. Good Luck

Respectfully,

Nicole

Old 01-03-2008, 08:37 AM

Nicole, sometimes I think what we are actually saying is:
People who smoke, and like to smoke, sometimes say "I like smoking no matter what anyone says about it. I know that it is bad for my health, but so are a lot of other things that people do in life.
We know we have "some" extra weight on us (nothing like the people that go on that show The Biggest Loser). Heck, we look like a size 2 compared to them. Neither my wife nor I have ever been into this "physical fitness" fab that started years ago. We get exercise in the summer time going fishing and on a boat. Believe us, you do get exercise launching and retrieving a boat from a lake. I do like outdoor bike riding, but "if" I fell off of the bike somehow, I could really injury myself (or my wife could) seriously. And, yes, having a hip replacement and a shoulder surgery (tendons repaired) does scare me when thinking about an injury to either of them. Also, with the way people drive vehicles around here, we'd be somewhat scared to even take a bike on a Bike Path on the street.
Less than 10 years ago, we both use to Squaredance, I was in prorodeo (roping) and we use to go country dancing once in a while. Our metabilizum rate was much higher than also. After my hip surgery, that all changed, in which, having a hip replacement and a shoulder surgery can change your lifestyle......especially when that happens in your late 50's.
We would like to lose some weight, but if the "will power" just isn't there, so be it. We do thank you for your replies though.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Nicole, sometimes I think what we are actually saying is:
People who smoke, and like to smoke, sometimes say "I like smoking no matter what anyone says about it. I know that it is bad for my health, but so are a lot of other things that people do in life.
We know we have "some" extra weight on us (nothing like the people that go on that show The Biggest Loser). Heck, we look like a size 2 compared to them. Neither my wife nor I have ever been into this "physical fitness" fab that started years ago. We get exercise in the summer time going fishing and on a boat. Believe us, you do get exercise launching and retrieving a boat from a lake. I do like outdoor bike riding, but "if" I fell off of the bike somehow, I could really injury myself (or my wife could) seriously. And, yes, having a hip replacement and a shoulder surgery (tendons repaired) does scare me when thinking about an injury to either of them. Also, with the way people drive vehicles around here, we'd be somewhat scared to even take a bike on a Bike Path on the street.
Less than 10 years ago, we both use to Squaredance, I was in prorodeo (roping) and we use to go country dancing once in a while. Our metabilizum rate was much higher than also. After my hip surgery, that all changed, in which, having a hip replacement and a shoulder surgery can change your lifestyle......especially when that happens in your late 50's.
We would like to lose some weight, but if the "will power" just isn't there, so be it. We do thank you for your replies though.

I totally understand Of course you don't want to risk injury.

Good luck, stay healthy and enjoy life. Hopefully winter won't be too long and you can get out boating again!

Nicole

Old 01-04-2008, 02:25 AM

2 posts, read 10,342 times
Default Personal trainers

Hey, If you want to shed a few pounds and lose body fat permanently, there's no more effective way to achieve results than with the help of personal trainers. Their expert advice, motivation and encouragement will help you burn 50% more calories per session.
Personal trainer personal fitness training
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss