Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 10:44 PM

10 posts, read 14,302 times

Advertisements

So we're both college seniors, been dating since we were high school seniors but we've known each other since grade school. We now live together off campus. She was a cheerleader from 8th grade up until part of freshman year of college. What went wrong was when we both got to college we fell in love with the cafeteria food and the freedom of eating whatever we wanted. You'd think " we'll she's cheerleading that burns calories right?" Well lets just say she didn't have a perfect attendance record. She'd skip then we'd go eat. Coach got super mad and kicked her off. So now she's in the boat with me, eating junk and not working it off. Needless to say we were not pictures of health come spring. This has just continued and we've kept getting bigger and bigger. Like the title says, I'm torn because on one hand I'm seeing these problems with both of us of " wow these pants don't fit" to " wow 1 flight of stairs I'm exhausted" but on the other, as we've said to each other, we love each other fat because there's no judgement, I can't judge her for her weight and she can't judge me. At 5'9 we both weigh between 220 and 225. 34 bmi. Should we ignore this? after all we're happy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 10:57 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,853 times
You're happy now but you also need to extrapolate the data to 10, 20, 40 years from now. If you think you will be happy with all sorts of health problems then by all means go hog wild.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:17 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
My husband and I did that when we were first married...he put on 90lbs and I gained 80. It was great having unlimited food choices and my own kitchen. But the older you get, the harder it is to lose weight. If you start eating better now, it shouldn't be hard to get the weight off and get back to where you want to be. If you let things go forever, chances are that at least one of you will end up really obese eventually. More risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes (especially if there's a family history), high risk pregnancy and/or complications when y'all decide to have a baby, greater health care costs, harder to find a job when you're significantly overweight (especially for women), etc.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:25 PM

We hit 190, we said we'd diet, we dieted for 2 days. She relapsed and ate an entire container of Oreos, caused me to relapse out of my diet. We tried working out, 10 minutes on the treadmill and we were too tired to continue, ate KFC that night.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:31 PM

She admitted to me at a point where I was planning on losing weight and was trying to get her on board, she admitted she liked her body size because of the " plush softness" I remember asking her if it was fun fitting all of her " plush softness" into a tightening pair of jeans. I got no answer.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:31 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,162,840 times
It is the Freshman 15, but just lasting a little longer. I don't think you should ignore this because the longer you don't eat a healthy diet, the more health issues you will face as you get older. The good thing is that you are both young - it is very hard to lose weight and keep it off, but being young you will be able to get the weight off and the chances of having it stay off in the long run is pretty high. Also, your bodies should be in their peak physical condition - these are the years that most people think back to nostalgically, how they were able to run, walk for miles, swim, without pain the next day or achy muscles.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:33 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,162,840 times
Default Relapse

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicSinatra View Post
We hit 190, we said we'd diet, we dieted for 2 days. She relapsed and ate an entire container of Oreos, caused me to relapse out of my diet. We tried working out, 10 minutes on the treadmill and we were too tired to continue, ate KFC that night.
Just start over, don't beat yourselves up over this relapse.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
Just start over, don't beat yourselves up over this relapse.
We always relapse on something, Oreos, burgers, pizzas, one of us falls off the wagon and then the other falls Off too

Old 11-22-2014, 11:40 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicSinatra View Post
You need a plan, not just a vague idea of dieting. Telling each other you're going to diet already makes you feel like you're depriving yourselves of something. I bet you went to bed saying you were going to diet and woke up the next morning already feeling hungrier than normal. Tell yourselves you're starting a new healthy lifestyle together, not a diet.

Set a goal for yourselves, plan a menu to meet that goal, and make it a team effort. Use a calorie tracker to make sure you're following your goal. Eat the same things every day if you need to until you get used to tracking. If neither of you is much of a cook, you can still manage to bake chicken breasts for dinner and make a salad or cook a steamable pouch of veggies to go with it. Make sure you're still getting to have things that you like sometimes. Learn to like vegetables, they will fill you up without a lot of calories.

Don't worry too much about working out when you're in the beginning of your new way of eating. Most of weight loss is eating less. Once you've lost a little bit, then start trying to work out. And remember you're going to be sore when you start a new physical activity. That doesn't mean that you're too out of shape to do it, it means your body has to get used to the new activity. If the treadmill's not your thing, hop on a bike or use the elliptical.

Also, if she doesn't want to lose weight, don't let that stop you. Do your own thing. If she eats a bag of cookies or a carton of ice cream, don't lecture her about it, don't say anything about it, she's an adult and that's her choice. You're an adult too and if you want to eat healthy, that's your choice.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:42 PM

And with the holidays coming up, no way will we lose weight, we'll just gorge ourselves on pie and cookies, but like I said, neither one will judge because we'll both be doing it,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss