Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 06:41 AM

428 posts, read 643,807 times

Advertisements

Hi folks, Am hoping to start a discussion about where you would go if you had a block of time and a chunk of money to hurl at the issues of weight gain and general loss of health and stamina.

I've got more time than money, but I think I'm worth the investment and am willing to spend up to ten thousand American to recover from the past couple of years of illness and loss.

I'd like to learn to surf and scuba, cook and eat more healthily, and basically re-boot my life.
I'm also very interested in volunteering and think I'd do well at teaching English or about the USA.
It would be great to combine helping others with regaining my own health, all the while getting experience which could help me in my future.

Thanks if you have any ideas, the options are pretty overwhelming!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 07:39 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Surfing and scuba diving are things best learned once you're *already* fit. If you have bad health, bad stamina, and are overweight, you should be addressing those things more directly. I suggest walking, body-weight core exercises, and strength training, in addition to healthier eating habits. The best part about it is, you don't have to spend ten thousand dollars on that.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:16 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
I don't think the idea of going away somewhere to lose weight is very useful. It's more important to develop a healthy lifestyle that fits into your everyday life, learn how to cook the right way, develop the habits of exercising regularly, etc. If you learn something that only works when you're on vacation, when you get home you will go back to your old habits, and start wishing you could go on another vacation to lose the weight again.

It might make more sense to set a weight loss and exercise goal, and then reward yourself with a vacation to celebrate meeting those goals.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:18 AM

While staying home and learning these things is an option, that's NOT what I seek at this time in my life.

To be more specific---I have a few months off from my life and a bit of money.

I have just come out of a long illness and lost my husband after his long illness just six weeks ago.
My goal is to go away and re-boot my life, and fight the depression which is creeping up on me.

Ideally I will find somewhere I can learn some new life skills around health and wellness, and create some new hobbies for myself.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:48 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Most health and wellness spas offer only 1-2 week programs. Here are a few that offer longer term packages:
Hilton Head Health Wellness Spa
Green Mountain at Fox Run
Whistler Fitness Vacations

Here's a good source for volunteer travel opportunities for women:
Women Worldwide Volunteer Travel

I've not seen any programs that specifically combine the two: fitness and volunteering Perhaps a few weeks pampering yourself in a nice spa would leave you rejuvenated and ready to tackle a volunteer project.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:48 AM

310 posts, read 1,700,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suz1023 View Post
While staying home and learning these things is an option, that's NOT what I seek at this time in my life.

To be more specific---I have a few months off from my life and a bit of money.

I have just come out of a long illness and lost my husband after his long illness just six weeks ago.
My goal is to go away and re-boot my life, and fight the depression which is creeping up on me.

Ideally I will find somewhere I can learn some new life skills around health and wellness, and create some new hobbies for myself.
First of all, condolences on the loss of your husband and best wishes for your own continued good health after recovering from illness.

Sorry, don't have any info for you (maybe try posting in the "Travel" forum?), but think I understand what you're seeking-- that you have the free time right now & want to make a big change in your life by investing money to go somewhere to lose weight/improve your fitness/health (while hopefully learning some new skills or even doing volunteer work.)

Think that's a great idea! I'm a single female in my late 50s & considered doing the same thing myself when I had the chance a few years ago, but didn't & now have regrets about that. So hope you're able to make this happen, hope someone else has good info for you. (And feel free to PM me if you'd like-- I'd be interested in knowing if you're able to do this.)

Btw, ideally this shouldn't be so difficult to find-- seems like there's enough desire for this type of "start over/get healthy" quest so some company should realize how marketable/profitable it would be to offer this!

Last edited by newbie09; 01-13-2015 at 09:38 AM..

Old 01-13-2015, 09:28 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suz1023 View Post
Hi folks, Am hoping to start a discussion about where you would go if you had a block of time and a chunk of money to hurl at the issues of weight gain and general loss of health and stamina.

I've got more time than money, but I think I'm worth the investment and am willing to spend up to ten thousand American to recover from the past couple of years of illness and loss.

I'd like to learn to surf and scuba, cook and eat more healthily, and basically re-boot my life.
I'm also very interested in volunteering and think I'd do well at teaching English or about the USA.
It would be great to combine helping others with regaining my own health, all the while getting experience which could help me in my future.

Thanks if you have any ideas, the options are pretty overwhelming!
Check out Costa Rica. It is a country made for adventure.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:30 PM

Thank you again for your responses!
So I've made some progress and am fairly pleased with myself.
My tentative schedule is to spend a couple of weeks in the water learning to dive. That REALLY calls to me, and I am taking a good six weeks to prepare with bike riding and pilates at least.

I've also been very attracted to a 3 or 6 month internship learning to build straw bale houses and that kind of thing, so am thinking of that to learn some basic building trades in a hands on way when I'm back from my scuba adventure.
These two adventues will be pretty physical, and I long to use my body again. I simply cannot wait to feel strong and fit again!

I will also probably prepare for ESl certification online so I'm prepared for that, and later this week I learn to sell on ebay for a senior's group, and this weekend I may get involved in the local transitioning foster-mentor program.

That should give me some skills to volunteer, get me into better physical condition and provide a good long distraction!

Old 01-13-2015, 09:06 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
OMG Suz, you are my true soulmate, lol. This is my dream also for when I retire and I'm even interested in straw bale/cob building. I have done a fair bit of traveling and would recommend someplace like Nicaragua maybe. Nicaragua borders the Caribbean and the Pacific and I've heard that it's quite safe, and cheap too. If I were you I don't know that I'd look for a "fat farm" so much as a spa maybe--a place to get healthy. Here is a site of links for the sort of thing you're looking for, though I don't think it has much on spas. Also, when I think of spas I think of one of those fancy places where rich people go but I've seen some midpriced type places in my travels. Though honestly, I think once you get out on the road and start traveling, the weight will take care of itself. When I went to Oz, 15 lbs dropped off in the first month b/c I was walking so much. I felt really good too b/c I was out in the open air a lot and got a lot of sun but never a burn. Link:
TransitionsAbroad.com - Guide to Work, Study, Travel and Living Abroad
Once, after my ex left, I went camping for a week by myself in the Missouri wilderness and really felt a lot better afterwards--there is something about getting out into nature that is so healing.

Also you may want to look into wwoofing. That is, "willing workers on organic farms." You go to these organic farms and work for them for awhile and get free room and board. There are many of these around the world and each country has its own website so I'm not posting a link, but google "wwoof." We did some of that in Australia and it was a blast. The added benefit of course is that you're generally eating organic food with your farm family and some are good and some are bad but of course you can move on.

Also check out a great forum called bootsnall.com. It will help you plan your travels and you can find people who've gone to teach English abroad and what their experiences were. Gosh, you might decide to do a round-the-world trip. You'll never regret it if you do. Anyway, I'm so excited about your trip that I hope you'll DM me and ask questions and keep me posted on what you decide to do.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:41 AM

33 posts, read 46,289 times
According to me, for weight loss you don't have to go anywhere. Just do exercises and i must say proper exercises. Follow diet plan and i think it will not take more money . Eat food with low fat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss