Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 07:05 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times

Advertisements

Two things: 1. If obesity is due to genetics, why is the problem growing and why when you look at old photos were 30% obese? And, the next time you are grocery shopping, look at the what is in the cart of the obese. Personal responsibility.

Good article: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/obesity-...s-and-obesity/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 08:16 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
I think a LOT of very obese people have to be severely addicted and capable of eating large amounts of food. The pleasure of the eating, what is mainly garbage food, MUST outweigh the very negative effects.

I could never get HUGE because I HATE be even a little bit full/bloated...and I do not have the ability to eat very large amounts of food. I can eat a lot, but wow, compared to what I see on some of these shows with the morbidly obese.......I can eat maybe 25% as much.

Sure there are those severely obese that don't eat that much at one sitting, they eat all day......IDK how common this is though. This way of eating also seems very unappealing to me......I strictly stick to eating only 3 meals a day.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:28 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
I have a cousin my own age who is morbidly obese. We are in our mid-fifties. She has to use a walker already because her back is so bad from the weight. She must be 325 - 350, I am guessing. She once lost weight under a doctor's guidance and went down to 140. Put it all back on and more. I believe it is an emotional problem. She eats to cover bad feelings. It is sad. We were close as kids, and one of these days I will hear she's gone. She already has serious medical issues from that weight.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:32 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I think a LOT of very obese people have to be severely addicted and capable of eating large amounts of food. The pleasure of the eating, what is mainly garbage food, MUST outweigh the very negative effects.

I could never get HUGE because I HATE be even a little bit full/bloated...and I do not have the ability to eat very large amounts of food. I can eat a lot, but wow, compared to what I see on some of these shows with the morbidly obese.......I can eat maybe 25% as much.

Sure there are those severely obese that don't eat that much at one sitting, they eat all day......IDK how common this is though. This way of eating also seems very unappealing to me......I strictly stick to eating only 3 meals a day.
I read a story recently by a man who was overweight and diabetic. He would buy two dozen doughnuts and park on a side street and eat them all and then get rid of the box, just like a drunk or a drug addict. When he finally told his wife, she thought he was exaggerating because she thought nobody could eat 24 doughnuts in one sitting. But he could.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:42 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I read a story recently by a man who was overweight and diabetic. He would buy two dozen doughnuts and park on a side street and eat them all and then get rid of the box, just like a drunk or a drug addict. When he finally told his wife, she thought he was exaggerating because she thought nobody could eat 24 doughnuts in one sitting. But he could.

Oh my, that is what I mean when I say I cannot physically eat anything near what some of these huge people eat.

24 doughnuts, wow............I cannot imagine how sick someone must feel after that feat!!!

Old 05-25-2015, 08:40 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,592,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Two things: 1. If obesity is due to genetics, why is the problem growing and why when you look at old photos were 30% obese? And, the next time you are grocery shopping, look at the what is in the cart of the obese. Personal responsibility.

Good article: Genes Are Not Destiny | Obesity Prevention Source | Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
And if genetics are NOT sometimes relevant, how do some people eat like a horse and stay skinny, not necessarily exercising fanatically, either?

If a whole society is become more obese, clearly you have to look at lifestyle and diet to explain the trend. But this is NOT to say that individual genetic variations do not exist.

Don in Austin

Old 05-26-2015, 12:39 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Wow, it looks like I'm the only person who shared a story about becoming obese. Everyone else is just guessing or sharing anecdotes about people they know.

I think most people want to hear that there was a definite cause. "I ate a half gallon of ice cream and two bags of Cheetos every day for two years," or "I had a food addiction and I would eat until my belly really hurt but I still couldn't make myself stop." The idea that it's a gradual process, a slippery slope from being pleasantly plump to being too obese to wipe your own butt, is pretty scary. But it's true for a lot of people. There's no one turning point or crisis point that made them become obese. No one decides to become obese. It sneaks up on you and you spend a lot of time in denial, "wow, they're making clothes a lot smaller than they were the last time I shopped," or "I've got a little extra water weight but that will come off over the summer." Sometimes, thinking about it and worrying about it makes you eat more, because food is a comfort. Then, you spend a lot of money trying to fix it and sometimes you're a little bit successful. But as soon as you let your guard down, the weight comes back.

I've figured out that I'm going to have to count my calories every day for the rest of my life, or I will gain back all the weight that I've lost. It's kind of discouraging sometimes. People say once you know what a certain number of calories looks like on a plate, you don't have to count anymore. But for me, I have to see the calories for the day adding up before I can tell myself it's time to stop.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:58 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Wow, it looks like I'm the only person who shared a story about becoming obese. Everyone else is just guessing or sharing anecdotes about people they know.

I think most people want to hear that there was a definite cause. "I ate a half gallon of ice cream and two bags of Cheetos every day for two years," or "I had a food addiction and I would eat until my belly really hurt but I still couldn't make myself stop." The idea that it's a gradual process, a slippery slope from being pleasantly plump to being too obese to wipe your own butt, is pretty scary. But it's true for a lot of people. There's no one turning point or crisis point that made them become obese. No one decides to become obese. It sneaks up on you and you spend a lot of time in denial, "wow, they're making clothes a lot smaller than they were the last time I shopped," or "I've got a little extra water weight but that will come off over the summer." Sometimes, thinking about it and worrying about it makes you eat more, because food is a comfort. Then, you spend a lot of money trying to fix it and sometimes you're a little bit successful. But as soon as you let your guard down, the weight comes back.

I've figured out that I'm going to have to count my calories every day for the rest of my life, or I will gain back all the weight that I've lost. It's kind of discouraging sometimes. People say once you know what a certain number of calories looks like on a plate, you don't have to count anymore. But for me, I have to see the calories for the day adding up before I can tell myself it's time to stop.
Personally for me, becoming 'pleasantly plump' is scary enough all on its own. I'm small and even a few extra lbs look terrible on me - it goes straight to my legs, which are my problem area as it is, and face, making me look older and matronly right away. Which is why I'm at the other extreme of being obsessive about weight to the point that having a bloated day or gaining one or two lbs ruins my mood and makes me feel extremely uncomfortable in my own skin. I don't know, maybe that isn't healthy either, but I can't help it. Maybe its sad but so much of my identity is wrapped up in being small and slim that I don't think I could handle any major weifpght gain without becoming severely depressed, I would feel like I wasn't myself anymore..

Right now I'm pregnant with my second kid, with my first I didn't really gain weight anywhere but my belly and looked the same two weeks after birth, and this time around, even though I gained about the same amount it went all over, especially my legs and butt got huge. I was in really good shape and happy with my body before getting pregnant and its really been getting me down, I hate to say it but even my excitement over the baby is dampened by feeling fat and worrying that it won't come off easily after the birth. I know I'll feel horrible about myself if even a few extra lbs stick around. It also scares me how hormones are so uncontrollable - most of this fat just piled on extremely fast even though I didn't eat more than before pregnancy, I spent the first trimester being too sick to eat and then as soon as I just started eating normally again I just blew up in literally a couple of weeks. It just goes to show how little control we have over these things.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:42 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
I was obese for a short period of time. I got that way by eating too much and not exercising enough. I ate less, exercised more, and now I'm "overweight" but no longer obese.

Obesity as a clinical term does not apply to me because I'm not overweight enough to fall into that category.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:58 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

Good article: Genes Are Not Destiny | Obesity Prevention Source | Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
Good point about looking at old photos, i look at my parents old photo albums from the 30s-60s and theres no fat people in the pictures. Now its the opposite and its the rare person who isnt overweight. Something has definitely changed in the American diet over the last 40-50 years to produce so many fat people...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss