Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 02:29 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,559,613 times

Advertisements

It is simple, but not easy!

Today, I have had Cream of Wheat with almond milk, and a homemade chicken salad. Main calories coming from olive oil in dressing and cooked chicken in it. Added a tbsp. of gorgonzola cheese. Grape tomatoes, yum. That's approximately 667 calories for today. I can have about 700 more. Going to a pot luck, I will have to be careful!

I did walk/jog 45 minutes today, but not counting that. That will just cover bites, licks and tastes of the day.

I have not gone down on the scale for a while, because I can't seem to only eat 1400 calories a day. They add up so quickly! I need to cut down on my coffee creamer, I guesssss......and eat the zucchini, broccoli, greens, tomatoes, pineapple, strawberries, green onions, celery I bought this week. Go reaaaalll easy on the ice cream and creamer!

Can't wait to get results, but gotta do the actual hard work first!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 09:53 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
Veggies will help fill you up without adding a lot of calories. Your chicken salad probably would taste good on top of some nice lettuce.

Try the strawberries sliced with a couple tablespoons of whipped cream. There aren't a lot of calories in the strawberries and as long as you limit the portion size of the whipped cream, it's not bad for you and it feels like a decadent dessert, especially right now when the strawberries are in season and they're ripe and perfect. A bunch of sliced strawberries with a sugar-free chocolate pudding cup is also a good combination.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:01 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
The coffee creamer is not going to make a bit of difference, I never gave it up nor did I give up real sugar and I also do not count the calories, etc. for salad dressing.

It sounds like your combination of foods is holding you back a bit and you should be able to eat at least 1800 - 2000 calories daily and still lose weight.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Veggies will help fill you up without adding a lot of calories. Your chicken salad probably would taste good on top of some nice lettuce.

It was on nice lettuce. Hence, the name chicken salad.

It was:
Big bowl of baby arugula, spinach, lettuce
1 cooked chicken thigh
dressing made with olive oil and balsamic and garlic and honey
grape tomatoes
gorgonzola cheese

Old 06-02-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
The coffee creamer is not going to make a bit of difference, I never gave it up nor did I give up real sugar and I also do not count the calories, etc. for salad dressing.

It sounds like your combination of foods is holding you back a bit and you should be able to eat at least 1800 - 2000 calories daily and still lose weight.
I don't understand what you mean when you say coffee creamer won't make a difference?

And I HAVE been eating 1800-1900 calories and that is why I'm NOT losing. Are you saying that if those 1800 calories were fruits and veggies, it would be different?

Old 06-02-2015, 08:44 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,405,151 times
Weight loss is easy if you stop eating so much and work out. End point.

No sodas, juice or anything like that either. Even when someone eats less, MANY people still drink their calories and don't even realize it.

One 8 oz glass of sprite has 160 calories. Damn... and most people drink more than one small cup of soda at meal(s).

I drink nothing but water and black coffee. You can get 0-cal flavored water drops for variety too, or use a squirt of fruit to flavor it (lemon). I am 5'8" and only 125lbs. Healthy eating, small portions, no drinking my calories. And light yoga once a week. That is it. Most fat comes from food, only 25% of weight loss has anything to do with exercise (or lack thereof).

Old 06-02-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
Weight loss is easy if you stop eating so much and work out. End point.

No sodas, juice or anything like that either. Even when someone eats less, MANY people still drink their calories and don't even realize it.

One 8 oz glass of sprite has 160 calories. Damn... and most people drink more than one small cup of soda at meal(s).

I drink nothing but water and black coffee. You can get 0-cal flavored water drops for variety too, or use a squirt of fruit to flavor it (lemon). I am 5'8" and only 125lbs. Healthy eating, small portions, no drinking my calories. And light yoga once a week. That is it. Most fat comes from food, only 25% of weight loss has anything to do with exercise (or lack thereof).
I'm all too familiar with drinking calories. Fortunately, I have been drinking Diet Coke for nearly 35 years, so haven't had the issue of drinking soda calories. Mine was wine and beer. About 700 calories per night. If people today do not realize that their sodas and juices are highly caloric and don't count them, then God help us all. That's why I avoid things like OJ like the plague.

My new thing is coffee though, and I use creamer, to the tune of 250 calories a day. But I do count it.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:10 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I'm all too familiar with drinking calories. Fortunately, I have been drinking Diet Coke for nearly 35 years, so haven't had the issue of drinking soda calories. Mine was wine and beer. About 700 calories per night. If people today do not realize that their sodas and juices are highly caloric and don't count them, then God help us all. That's why I avoid things like OJ like the plague.

My new thing is coffee though, and I use creamer, to the tune of 250 calories a day. But I do count it.
It's all about choices, but I think I'd switch to a tablespoon of half-and-half at 20 calories and a teaspoon of sugar at 16 calories and save the other 214 calories for something more filling. Even if you double that you'd still have calories for something later in the day.

If you're just starting out trying to eat 1,400 to 1800 calories a day, you'll do lots of experimenting and substituting til you find foods that satisfy you.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:55 AM

1,242 posts, read 1,689,789 times
That's a lot of calories to waste on creamer. What about low cal creamer?

People might disagree with me because of the sodium, but I found eating soup (homemade) helps. Spicy sweet potato soup is naturally creamy and only 160 calories a bowl - very filling! I make it spicy enough that I have to drink lots of water. Dikon radish soup is also good. Adding a cup of soup as a snack between meals can help you feel fuller and make smart choices until you get use to smaller portions.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:00 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
I recently read an article about the role of will-power in weight loss, and how it's a kind of trap, and I was faced with it yesterday at a meeting where the conference table was lined with snacks. It's not like you say no to the cookies one time and you're good, you have to say no to the cookies every time you glance across the table, and every time one of your colleagues reaches for one for an hour and a half. So you're trying to be mindful and participate in the task at hand, but you've also got this steady drone of "Don't eat a cookie. Don't eat a cookie. Don't eat a cookie" as background noise in the back of your mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss