Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 03:31 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,239,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Don't feel bad. I did the same, lost 65 then put it back on. I equate it to kicking a smoking habit for years then picking cigarettes up again. It is really soooo hard to permanently change old habits.

On the upside, you did it once, it can be done again. I have faith!
Yeah, I don't feel bad. I get to eat what I want.

I've plateaued at the weight ive been all my life, so I'm wondering if maybe I'm SUPPOSED to be this way.

I haven't hit the big 200 and perhaps I never will, and when I was lighter, everyone said "stop losing weight" even though technically I was still considered on the heavy side.

I think I have big bones. No seriously I was so fit back then I was all muscle which is heavier than fat...I was amazed to find how tiny I was. Too small almost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 03:58 PM

329 posts, read 627,750 times
I was 280 after marriage at age 28 at 6' height, then went down to 210 in 6 months for awhile and now I'm 230. Not really doing anything with my diet or anything. But I'm relatively active person. I did low carb diet and hit the gym 6x/week for at least 1.5hour/day. Now I'm more laid back, I eat what I want but I try not to over eat. I will be doing another round of diet and stingent exercise to get down to low 200's

Old 06-16-2015, 04:58 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Yeah, I don't feel bad. I get to eat what I want.

I've plateaued at the weight ive been all my life, so I'm wondering if maybe I'm SUPPOSED to be this way.

I haven't hit the big 200 and perhaps I never will, and when I was lighter, everyone said "stop losing weight" even though technically I was still considered on the heavy side.

I think I have big bones. No seriously I was so fit back then I was all muscle which is heavier than fat...I was amazed to find how tiny I was. Too small almost.
I am a very big advocate for people deciding for themselves what they should weigh. If you're healthy and happy with yourself, that's all that really matters.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:34 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Wow, congrats on your success! Good for you! I'm also glad to hear that you aren't letting the weight charts dictate your goal.

Personally, I think half my weight problems stem from obsessing over weight charts. I spent the bulk of my 20's and 30's at about 170, which at 5'7" is about 10 lbs above the highest weight the charts said I should be. The charts tagged me as "obese", thus, I spent all that time believing I was fat (I was not) and trying unsuccessfully to drop 10 lbs and keep it off. Instead, all the yo-yo dieting just caused me to gain 70. I often wonder if I wouldn't have a weight problem if I'd just accepted the weight my body was comfortable at and worked to maintain it.
You know, I watched one of those big-weight-loss shows last week (the one with the guy named Chris). The woman he was working with was a former athlete, a basketball player, who had gained a huge amount of weight after leaving college.

She reached her goal weight in six months, and that goal weight was 210. She is six feet tall, like me, but she was very muscular (not quite like me) and a former athlete, and she could carry that weight and Chris was fine with it.

The weight charts are a guide, but one has to tailor goals to one's own body type and health.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You know, I watched one of those big-weight-loss shows last week (the one with the guy named Chris). The woman he was working with was a former athlete, a basketball player, who had gained a huge amount of weight after leaving college.

She reached her goal weight in six months, and that goal weight was 210. She is six feet tall, like me, but she was very muscular (not quite like me) and a former athlete, and she could carry that weight and Chris was fine with it.

The weight charts are a guide, but one has to tailor goals to one's own body type and health.
The weight chart is another reason I quit Weight Watchers. In order to be considered a "lifetime member", meaning you can stop paying for the meetings and just maintain your weight, you have to be down into their chart range. It didn't matter if you'd lost 100 lbs on their program, they were going to decide when you were done losing, and any weight above their range wouldn't be good enough. Just the principle of that ticked me off.

I know a woman who has lost over 100 lbs (twice) by joining Food Addicts Anonymous. They never tell you what your goal weight should be. Once your sponsor thinks you've lost enough, you have to go in front of a panel of people and do a "twirl test", where you stand in front of them, turn around and around, and they all look at you and decide whether or not you are thin enough. I'm sorry, but that's the creepiest thing I've ever heard in my life. It was made even worse because before her sponsor even approved her to go in front of the panel, she had to be so thin she looked ill.

It's stuff like that that gives me a chip on my shoulder when it comes to anyone (other than my doctor) telling me what I should weigh.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:06 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
The weight chart is another reason I quit Weight Watchers. In order to be considered a "lifetime member", meaning you can stop paying for the meetings and just maintain your weight, you have to be down into their chart range. It didn't matter if you'd lost 100 lbs on their program, they were going to decide when you were done losing, and any weight above their range wouldn't be good enough. Just the principle of that ticked me off.

I know a woman who has lost over 100 lbs (twice) by joining Food Addicts Anonymous. They never tell you what your goal weight should be. Once your sponsor thinks you've lost enough, you have to go in front of a panel of people and do a "twirl test", where you stand in front of them, turn around and around, and they all look at you and decide whether or not you are thin enough. I'm sorry, but that's the creepiest thing I've ever heard in my life. It was made even worse because before her sponsor even approved her to go in front of the panel, she had to be so thin she looked ill.

It's stuff like that that gives me a chip on my shoulder when it comes to anyone (other than my doctor) telling me what I should weigh.
Geez, that is creepy. Cult-like.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:21 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,679,165 times
Quote:

That's just weird.
I have never joined any weight loss program. I have only done it myself at home. The closest I got to anything was Slimfast. It just wasn't worth swalloing it. I figured I could do better eating those same calories in healthy food versus a formulated drink.

Old 06-17-2015, 01:22 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,147,530 times
Quote:

That is way too much turning your life over to someone else to evaluate for me.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:09 PM

I agree with the "doing it on my own" group. In case you can't tell from some of my posts on these forums (heh) I REALLY don't like anyone telling me what to do. That's not to say I won't buy books on the subject, read articles, talk to my doctor or learn from others experiences. It's the "coach" thing I can't stand and unsolicited advice from self-proclaimed weight loss gurus.

I signed up for Medifast once, because my parents tried it and were so excited they bought me my first month. The catch was I had to talk to this salesman (who called himself a weight loss coach, but really he was just a salesman). He asked what my weight loss goal was. I told him I wanted to get back down to 170, and he said, "Any reason you want to stop at just that?" (i.e., how come I don't want to be thinner). I realize it was a pretty innocuous question, but I wanted to hang up on him right there, just the insinuation infuriated me.

Bottom line is, if I'm on a roll and losing weight and doing good, I don't want someone to derail me by telling me something about my diet "isn't right". If I'm struggling, I don't want a WW leader telling me "I can eat anything I want". If I'm struggling with bingeing, I don't want some skinny ***** in my WW meeting (who is there to lose 10 lbs) go, "I don't get the big deal. Just have two cookies and put the box away--Duh!." (Yeah, I really had a broad say that in a meeting once. And then the idiot WW leader--who became one after losing a whopping 20 lbs--looked at me and shrugged as if to say, "There's an option for you.").

When I've had the most success, I just focused on ME and what worked for ME and shut everyone else out. It's not easy to do because when you start losing noticeable amounts of weight, everyone stops you and wants to know what you're doing. I've learned to get really vague because people can be inanely stupid. Tell them you lost 30 lbs by cutting out sugar, they'll get this horrified look and tell you "Ohhh you can't deprive yourself, you're going to gain it all back!!" (Gee, thanks, I really appreciate your words of encouragement). I've learned to say "Just watching what I eat and exercising more" is the best response because folks can't really do anything with that.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:28 AM

149 posts, read 186,910 times
A year ago I weighed in at 219. Today I am at 163. I'm 5'8". I just got so tired, tired of being fat, etc. Signed up at the YMCA, eat clean and watch my intake.

Whether or not it stays off is dependant on how hard I want it to. I have a disease. Chronic obesity. Diet and exercise is my medication. I don't "take" my meds, the disease WILL return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss