Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 03:09 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,329,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I have seen close to 100,000 patients. And your exceptions are just that. Exceptions.
Surely a "doctor" (one who has the time to hang out on an anonymous chat forum no less) would be somewhat knowledgeable of the American Heart Association's statistic that men over 25 have a 50% greater incidence of heart disease than women, and over the age of 64, that percentage rises to a whopping 150%

My experience is hardly anecdotal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 03:42 PM

678 posts, read 697,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It's your business to be fat or not and not mine to care (until you become my patient and then treating you can be a logistical nightmare).
It is not my place to judge your life choices.

But you have to live with the consequences of them. Same with smoking, drugs, being a jerk, financial irresponsibility, crime, etc.

If I don't want to date you, accept it.
If someone does not want to hire you because you're bad for the company image, accept it.
Etc.

You have to be just as accommodating and realize the world does NOT have to love you for who you are if you choose to make decisions that make you less lovable in the eyes of others.

Ok so how do we solve something like this if we don't care? In my opinion its like a cocaine addict. they need sponsors someone to guide them along the way back to normality. Its not our business until it starts to kill us.

Old 07-10-2015, 03:44 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,167,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
We marginalize smokers,we have little sympathy for alcoholics - why should fat people be treated any differently ?
Smoking is still legal. Restricted in some places, but legal. Where you or I can drink alcohol is restricted as well. So I would hardly call smokers "marginalized".

And speaking of alcohol and addiction, so much research has gone into alcoholism and addiction that addictions are now treated as a mental health issue instead of as a personality flaw or weakness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
I don't know where you guys are getting this narcissistic attitude from. As if i called out your name specifically. I'm asking everyone in general if you don't have the brains to answer correctly don't answer at all!
1) Look up the word "narcissistic". I do not think it means what you think it means.
2) Anyone on this forum is free to participate in any thread he or she chooses. As is evident by this thread alone, "brains" are not always necessary.
3) You didn't ask a question; you hurled an insult disguised as a (poorly worded) question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
I'm a firm believer in healthy debate. We need to let people know how think why we think and where it all comes from. ( for the educated people)
1) Did your mother never teach you that sometimes it's best to keep your mouth shut?
2) "Educated people" would have worded the question differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
The problem is it wasn't a question about health/weight. It was a poorly disguised argument that society should consider obesity socially unacceptable because people who are overweight are unhealthy.

HUGE difference.
Precisely.

Last edited by Ohiogirl81; 07-10-2015 at 04:03 PM..

Old 07-10-2015, 03:46 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,321,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
1/3 of Adults are considered obese. In history this was not so. Obese IS a health condition.
Yes, which in almost all cases is caused by an underlying health condition (such as binge eating disorder, autoimmune disease, etc.).

Old 07-10-2015, 04:02 PM

Burning Question: How can anyone living in America, who hasn't just woken up from a 40-year coma, presume that no one in this country cares about obesity? It's impossible to watch 5 minutes of TV, to glance at a magazine rack, to--good god--look up from the ground after leaving their house, and not see America's total obsession with weight, weight loss, body image, body building and fitness.

Could anyone seriously believe that the problem with obesity is that we don't have enough "concerned men on the street" who are willing to "adopt a fat person" and make sure that that "they" get the help "they" need??

Old 07-10-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
...we have little sympathy for alcoholics - why should fat people be treated any differently ?
Using your alcoholic analogy, that would justify marginalizing each and every person who drinks alcohol. After all, you can't tell by looking at someone who is drinking a beer whether or not they're an alcoholic. Just like you can't look at an overweight person and presume they're any less healthy than the thin person sitting next to them.

I'm sure if you're someone who drinks alcohol, you would have a problem with the suggestion that society presume everyone who drinks is an alcoholic, and treat them accordingly.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:19 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,051 times
Being fat is being unhealthy but drinking alcohol and doing drugs is more dangerous and we still have millions and million of Americans addicted to Substance Abuse.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:37 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,509,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
1/3 of Adults are considered obese. In history this was not so. Obese IS a health condition.
http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/arti...icleid=2323411

The most recent comprehensive survey shows that 75% of American men and 67% of women are overweight or obese - an increase of 10% since the 1990s.
And for the first time the number of obese people is more than those who are merely overweight.
In some Southern states the figures are even higher.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Using your alcoholic analogy, that would justify marginalizing each and every person who drinks alcohol. After all, you can't tell by looking at someone who is drinking a beer whether or not they're an alcoholic. Just like you can't look at an overweight person and presume they're any less healthy than the thin person sitting next to them.

I'm sure if you're someone who drinks alcohol, you would have a problem with the suggestion that society presume everyone who drinks is an alcoholic, and treat them accordingly.
Find me a doctor who will tell you an obese person isn't less healthy than a person of normal size and I'll tell you that doc quacks.

Or let me ask you another question - how many really old obese people do you know ?

Old 07-10-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Being overweight can just be from laziness, but being obese is because of a health condition. People have to realize that the majority of obese people aren't fat because they want to be or because they are lazy. They have an underlying health condition that has caused this (and it's probably undiagnosed).
Obese people are fat because they consume too much and don't get enough exercise.
Unless there's a mass pandemic of an unknown health condition that has swept the world in the last 30 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss