Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2015, 12:56 PM

39 posts, read 76,758 times

Advertisements

Without going on and on with my life story..Here it is in a nutshell;

I was on Phentermine years ago for weight loss and it REALLY curbed my appetite which I loved. I have heard good things about Phen375 but would like to know if anyone has tried it or knows of anyone that has tried it and has had success on it. I just really need to lose some serious weight and want something that takes my appetite away. I am open to suggestions if you know of any alternatives. Thank you in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 01:02 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Okay, listen up. There are no pills that work. None. If there was a pill that worked it would be front page news and sold everywhere.
The only way to lose weight and keep it off is to reduce your caloric intake by eating less and exercising more.
Eat whole, fresh foods. Stay away from simple carbs and sugary foods. Eat lots of fresh veggies and lean proteins. Also do not be afraid of fat.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:16 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,331,254 times
Actually, I completely disagree with Luckyd609 (again). I've taken a number of drugs that will curb my appetite, and have lost weight on all of them. There absolutely ARE pills that work.

The problem with them is they are either a) illegal or b) come with bad side effects.

The last one I tried was Belviq. It worked like a charm. I wasn't hungry, was able to seriously manage my intake and eat reasonably. Problem was it was extremely expensive, and gave me splitting headaches. Wasn't worth the trouble.

If you want an alternative, I can tell you what's working for me now. I'm on Medifast, which is a meal replacement program similar to Jenny Craig or Nutrisystem. I'm down almost 20 lbs in my first 4 weeks on the program. It's very low carb, and while I've cut out pasta, bread and potatoes, typically once a week I will have something in moderation, be it a slice of pizza, a couple fish tacos, last night I had a sandwich wrap with a flour tortilla and a couple weeks back, I had a cupcake at a retirement party. I'm not completely Nazi over the no carb thing, just trying to cut way, way back and sticking to the program more days than I don't. For me, eating 6 times a day (which you do on this program) in combination with low carb has REALLY cut down my appetite without all the nasty side effects of pills. The first two or three days you start the program, you can get headaches, feel hungry or light-headed (NOTHING of the scale of pills though). But get past those and it's pretty smooth sailing.

I've tried pretty much every weight loss program out there, including the "just eat everything in moderation" philosophy which was the worst for me as it led to binge eating and significant weight gain. For me, only a low carb program where I eat frequent small meals cuts my hunger way down and allows me to live like a "normal person".

Everyone is different, though, so I share this only for the purpose of sharing what's working for ME.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:20 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LettheCowgirlsRock View Post
Without going on and on with my life story..Here it is in a nutshell;

I was on Phentermine years ago for weight loss and it REALLY curbed my appetite which I loved. I have heard good things about Phen375 but would like to know if anyone has tried it or knows of anyone that has tried it and has had success on it. I just really need to lose some serious weight and want something that takes my appetite away. I am open to suggestions if you know of any alternatives. Thank you in advance!
I don't know anything about this pill, but a quick look reveals is just some basic OTC supplements combined into a single pill. I doubt it will be too effective.

If you were on phentermine in the past and did well on it, why not go back on it? It's a very good appetite suppressant and in my experience most doctors will write you a prescription for it without much trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Okay, listen up. There are no pills that work. None. If there was a pill that worked it would be front page news and sold everywhere.
Sure there is. Some (phentermine) work through appetite suppression while some are true thermogenics (DNP, clenbuterol, T3) and then there is ephedrine, which does both.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:51 PM

1,400 posts, read 766,854 times
A lot of people don't drink enough water, and this leaves them feeling hungry, when what they are actually is dehydrated. I read in a book about nutrition, that if a person isn't getting proper nutrition from the food they eat, something goes off in their brain telling them to keep eating ~ the body's way of trying to stay alive ~ so that the person will eventually eat something that their body needs.

Hungry is not a normal or desired state for any living creature. There's a lot of things a person can eat to alleviate hunger and not cause unwanted weight gain. Veggies, of course, are a big one. Also, if a person has a slow metabolism due to inactivity, just start walking or use a treadmill. Once your metabolism rate goes up, your body is burning fat even when you are sleeping. It doesn't happen overnight, but it does happen. There is no other possible result other than success, and of course, easy on white flour, sugar, fried foods. There are too many stories of people who take pills and do crazy things to lose weight. They do, but death is a high price to pay.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:04 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,913 times
Sorry, gonna have to do some tough love here. Control yourself. Eat the right foods so that your appetite is satisfied by the good foods. There is no magic pill that will make losing weight easy and keeping it off for the rest of your life. Sure, take the stupid pill, and reduce your alleged "appetite," are you going to do that for the rest of your life? Or are you going to learn discipline and self-control and how to eat the right foods?

The key to losing weight is taking in less calories than your body burns. For the average person, that's going to be around 1500-1600. Figure out what YOUR 1500-1600 can look like. And eat that. Throw some exercise in there for good measure.

Please do not waste your money on stupid pills that are marketed to vulnerable, desperate people.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:39 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,256,790 times
OP lost weight using Phentermine. Obviously, it came back (and maybe even more than originally lost) because she is asking about another pill.

Those pills work for awhile, but the weight comes back. Many of them damage your body with side effects.

Nothing works like eating less and moving more. Sure it takes time, but it's the best way.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:54 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
OP lost weight using Phentermine. Obviously, it came back (and maybe even more than originally lost) because she is asking about another pill.

Those pills work for awhile, but the weight comes back.
That's a problem (presumably) with the OP's eating habits, not the drugs.

Any of the ones I listed are supplements to diet. Unless you're running high doses of DNP, nothing is going to work by itself.

Old 07-30-2015, 04:20 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
If you have to go back on a diet over and over again, then whatever you were doing to lose the weight - didn't work. There are lots of posters right here on C-D who will attest to how many diets they've been on - bragging about how they are loving this diet or that diet - and then a few weeks or months later say they're on a NEW diet because the last one wasn't good enough.

Guess what - diets don't work. If they worked, you'd keep the weight off. What diets are good at is the initial weight loss attempt. Once the weight is off, you CANNOT go back to doing whatever it was you were doing before you went on the diet. Diets are intended to be temporary, while you learn a new lifestyle. It's the lifestyle that keeps you from having to diet in the first place (or the second place or the third place or the fiftieth place).

Change your lifestyle, and the weight will come off as a side effect of becoming healthier.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:15 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,301,245 times
The root "phen" from phentermine is outlawed in the USA because it has shown to cause serious heart problems. I worked for a law firm years ago that specialized in a class action lawsuit against Phen-Fen, and each client underwent echocardiograms to check for heart damage.

In 1997 a friend of mine was looking VERY good after she lost a lot of weight. Turned out she was taking Phen-Fen. That was before the FDA banned it. Last I heard, phentermine products are still legal in parts of Europe. Yes, phentermine is very effective. And horribly dangerous.

Unfortunately, the only safe, tried and true path to weight loss is nutrition and exercise. This always has been the case and always will be.

Of course there is liposuction, gastric bypass surgery, lapbands, etc.

You've just gotta reinvent your food paradigm. Ponder this article: http://www.drfranklipman.com/7-thoug...ocessed-foods/ I read it a few days ago and it has stuck with me. It's a real paradigm-shifter.

Last edited by Zelpha; 07-30-2015 at 05:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss