Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2015, 05:10 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,738,232 times

Advertisements

Hey guys. I am 31 yo male, who use to be approximately 80-90 lbs. overweight. Now I am only about 5-10 lbs. overweight with a mostly flat stomach and everything else in relative proportion to my height and weight. However, I still have this double chin that will not go away. I'm starting to think that it may even be genetic, considering the face is sometimes the first area of the body to see the most dramatic changes during significant weight lost. Does anyone have any advice or recommendations as to reduce the chin, and perhaps what might have caused it to linger after all this weight loss?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 08:36 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
How is your muscle tone? Did you follow an exercise and fitness routine during your weight loss period? Congrats also on the weight loss!

Between age and weight loss, my mom ended up getting a face lift and neck skin surgery to remove her "turkey waddle" as she called it. I have it too, but far less noticeable because I was never that overweight in the first place. Part of it, at least for the women in my family, is genetic. One of my cousins has it too and she's always been slender, never overweight.

Make sure you're FIT - and make sure you can maintain a lifestyle that will support the weight you should be for at least a year, without struggle. Once you've done that, if the neck waddle hasn't receded enough to your satisfaction, you could look into plastic surgery to remove it. I wouldn't look into it until I've made SURE I can sustain whatever weight I'm at, in a content way (meaning - no sense of "depriving" myself of anything - that'll just come to bite you in the butt eventually).

Old 08-17-2015, 05:25 AM

88,527 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
Hey guys. I am 31 yo male, who use to be approximately 80-90 lbs. overweight. Now I am only about 5-10 lbs. overweight with a mostly flat stomach and everything else in relative proportion to my height and weight. However, I still have this double chin that will not go away. I'm starting to think that it may even be genetic, considering the face is sometimes the first area of the body to see the most dramatic changes during significant weight lost. Does anyone have any advice or recommendations as to reduce the chin, and perhaps what might have caused it to linger after all this weight loss?
Do facial exercises. In particular, do the one where you make your face look sort of like the "tragedy" mask, with the mouth stretched out and down to the sides, jaw jutting forward. It tightens the neck, too. Also do the "lion" facial exercise, with the mouth open as if you're roaring loudly. Hold those faces for ten seconds or so at a time and do them throughout the day. Your choice as to whether to do them in public or not, hehehe.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:56 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
I am sorry to say it is genetic, and short of surgery probably not a lot you can do. I have seen extremely slim/fit women who had huge double chins.

The facial exercises can't hurt, but I wouldn't expect miracles.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:28 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,059,119 times
Keep losing weight. It will almost certainly go away.

Old 08-18-2015, 02:53 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,427,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Keep losing weight. It will almost certainly go away.
This^^^. Your chin will probably be the last place to shrink but it will shrink if you get your weight low enough. Once you get your weight down more and keep it down for a couple of years; then see how your chin looks before considering surgery. It can take a couple of years for the skin to catch up after significant weight loss.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:22 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,863,876 times
Since you're a man, if you build up muscle in the neck, shoulders and chest, it will probably significantly improve the look of your double chin, if not get rid of it totally. My husband has lost 100lbs and still has a bit of a double chin even 10 years later. He has a short neck too, one of those guys who looks like his head is sitting right on top of his shoulders, no neck in between, which doesn't help the chin. He's been lifting weights for the past 6 or 7 months and everything looks firmer and more proportioned and his double chin hasn't gone away but it's much smaller.

Old 08-19-2015, 05:48 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Since you're a man, if you build up muscle in the neck, shoulders and chest, it will probably significantly improve the look of your double chin, if not get rid of it totally. My husband has lost 100lbs and still has a bit of a double chin even 10 years later. He has a short neck too, one of those guys who looks like his head is sitting right on top of his shoulders, no neck in between, which doesn't help the chin. He's been lifting weights for the past 6 or 7 months and everything looks firmer and more proportioned and his double chin hasn't gone away but it's much smaller.
This works if you're a woman too.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:47 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,604 times
The idea that you can "spot weight loss" is a myth. Exercise is never a bad idea, but you can no more exercise away fat in your chin than you can any other place on your body. Had that been the case, you would have had a skinnier chin back when you were working those jaw muscles and eating more.

It's possible your weight will adjust as you keep up your new lifestyle. It will naturally recede a bit as you age. If you are still trying to lose a little more, more weight loss may finally hit that area. But really, I think you should not worry about your chin and instead, bask in the glory of the new you that is 80 lbs lighter. Pat yourself on the back for your accomplishment, remember that you are fitter, healthier and more attractive than you were before, and let the rest of it go. Anyone worth a lick won't care about your chin. I'm sure your friends and loved ones don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss