Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2015, 06:13 PM

395 posts, read 603,968 times

Advertisements

Is eating when full considered some sort of binge eating disorder? I feel that if there is food around, I have to eat it even if I am not hungry. Are there any tips or tricks to changing my mindset? Intermittent fasting maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 06:24 PM

19,036 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Oh, yes, let's go from gluttony to actual physical damage of your body?

OP, there is only one way to "fix" the issue. Power of will. You are on the right path. Now, no matter how hard it initially is, start honing your will until you become in control of your cravings.
On average it takes 3 weeks to get there.
Best.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:48 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,331,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm5878 View Post
Is eating when full considered some sort of binge eating disorder? I feel that if there is food around, I have to eat it even if I am not hungry. Are there any tips or tricks to changing my mindset? Intermittent fasting maybe?
I would not consider eating when full a binge eating disorder without more information. What do you mean "if there is food around"? Do you mean a candy dish on the coffee table, or any food in your house at all? There's a big difference. One is very common--lots of people don't have candy dishes, or will continue to pick at snacks if they're sitting out at a party. A more serious issue is not being able to rest until your cupboards are empty.

As for tips and tricks, there are LOTS. Really, too many to list without more info. Sure, everything in life comes down to the power of will. But there are lots of things you can do that will make willpower easier.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:34 AM

566 posts, read 592,987 times
cm5878 - it sounds like the head wants to eat when the stomach is done eating...

Is it possible you're consuming lots of carbs during your meal? ...and maybe that cycle keeps you returning for more.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:57 AM

395 posts, read 603,968 times
Well part of it is I use food to cope with stress. Also, lets say we had company over one weekend and there is food leftover, I almost feel obligated to eat it so it does not go to waste. I am not heavy by any means 6'1 and weigh 220 lbs, but I would like to change my thought process with food.

Old 09-15-2015, 07:20 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,331,254 times
You are smart to recognize and change bad habits before they go out of control.

As for leftovers, remind yourself that the food will be gone regardless of whether or not you eat it or toss it. Try some cognitive behavior therapy by throwing leftovers away. It's sort of like a person with a fear of bridges. Therapists treat the fear by having them ride over bridges again and again. Eventually, the fear goes away through the reinforcement that nothing bad happened. By facing whatever fear you have of tossing leftovers, you gain power over it.

Stress eating is harder, but safe to say that LOTS of people stress eat. I personally think it's one of the major contributors to obesity in the US. The only way to beat it is to find healthier coping mechanisms. Go for a jog. Shoot some baskets. I find that just a pause helps with stress eating. When you want to go for a snack, pour yourself a glass of water and wait 10 minutes. Tell yourself you can have the snack in 10 minutes and after you finish drinking the water. You aren't denying yourself. You're just waiting a bit. Do that, and I will bet that 9 times out of 10 when your time limit is up, you won't want the snack anymore. "Willpower" is often about stopping the impulse. The brain wants something and we react. But if you can ride out that pause, you will separate the sudden urges that pass quickly from the times you really want a snack and won't be happy until you have one.

Last edited by LoriBee62; 09-15-2015 at 07:29 AM..

Old 09-17-2015, 08:55 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Quote:
I feel that if there is food around, I have to eat it
even if I am not hungry.
Are there any tips or tricks to changing my mindset? Intermittent fasting maybe?
Key words I saw were "if there is food around"...I would say don't buy stuff....
Keep fresh greens in your fridge, apples...frozen veggies...
No chips, sweets.
There...then you can binge eat steamed greens and frozen broccoli....problem solved.
I'm not kidding.

If it's there they will eat it! (Field of Dreams)

I found out from a friend on Weight Watchers vegetables count 0 points...
he has kept 30 pounds off happily.And still has his Bourbon at night.

If it's not there you can't eat it!
Yikes, didn't think...maybe you don't live alone so there
is 'kid food' around?

Old 09-17-2015, 09:36 PM

424 posts, read 430,991 times
Quote:
Try the 20 minute rule, if you're trying to lose weight, or concerned about your eating habits.

It has been said my nutrition experts that it takes the body--well, actually your brain--a good 15-20 minutes to acknowledge and realize the feeling of being full. So after eating a normal meal, before you go reaching for seconds, wait 20 minutes. If you get that full feeling then, it's easier to just quit eating than to make the conscious effort of getting another helping.

But, yeah, deliberately going through the motions and act of fetching or preparing ore food when you are definitely feeling full, is not a very healthy eating routine and left unchecked can lead to undesirable weight gain. You need to just sit and ask yourself, honestly: "Why am I eating more?" Is this good for me? What am I benefiting from it"?

If you feel compelled to eat more when full, and are just at this time lacking in the requisite will-power or motivation to stop, then at least eat something healthy. Fruit is good: the sugar (fructose" will give oyu a sated feeling.

A cup of coffee! Proven to diminish appetite, and it even kicks up your metabolism a bit so as to begin burning some of those cals from the meal.

Drinking a glass of water before beginning your meal can do wonders for erasing the desire to over-eat. It has been shown to even enable folks to feel full with less food.

Keep an eye on this. The fact that you have acknowledged the fact you might be engaging in potentially unhealthy eating habits is a good sign that you are in touch with your body and are concerned with oyur health. This is always a good start. So congrats on making this Thread!

Old 09-18-2015, 09:54 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,421,205 times
Quote:
Well part of it is I use food to cope with stress. Also, lets say we had company over one weekend and there is food leftover, I almost feel obligated to eat it so it does not go to waste. I am not heavy by any means 6'1 and weigh 220 lbs, but I would like to change my thought process with food.
You need to STOP eating food to cope with stress. That is a mental disorder. Try using your brain to lead you in life instead of your emotions.

6' 1" and 220 lbs seems like a lot, but it kinda depends on your bodyfat and/or your waist size. NFL Legend Ray Lewis was 6' 1" and 250 lbs and was in great shape - https://745515a37222097b0902-74ef300...9f63c7996.jpeg . I am 6' 1" 178 lbs and also in great shape. Kinda depends on your bodyfat and your stomach/waist size. But it seems on the surface that you ARE heavy.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:44 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
I love eating, love food.

I really HATE being even kinda full.....that bloated, heavy feeling is very unappealing to me. So I do my best to eat slowly and stop well before I get packed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss