Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2016, 07:13 PM

4,221 posts, read 4,743,568 times

Advertisements

I have a close friend who is a size 2 and never talks negative about herself...she is indeed a gorgeous woman. I also have a friend who is more like a 16 and is the exact same way...she is also comfortable in her body and although she knows she needs to lose weight and works on it, she loves her body as it is now so I'm sure once she gets to where she wants to be weight-wise, she'll continue to love it just the same.

Me? I went from a 10 to an 8 last year, then to a 6, and now I'm struggling between a 6 and 8. I was a 4 most of my 20s. Now in my late 30s I find I can't continue the stress eating that is my downfall, or it has an immediate impact on my weight/size. Luckily I do work out on average 3-4 days a week (shoot for 5 days most weeks actually), but I make no progress because my diet isn't right. Work is very challenging and every time something stressful comes up I'm "eating my feelings". And food is my comfort, too...it makes me feel so good to have dense, high calorie meals and desserts on a daily basis. If I weren't working out as much as I do right now I'd be back to a 10, pushing a 12.

But I digress...what I really wanted to get at here is that I feel as though, if I really loved my body I would treat it better. I would care more about the impact every thing I put into is having on not just how I look, but how I feel and how my body functions. I don't feel that way; right now I look at my body and basically see that "I've failed to meet my own standards." And in feeling that way, I get stressed and guess what...I want to eat badly.

I feel like I'm not in the right mental space to be able to accomplish my goals of having a nicer body. I stopped weighing myself because I literally would feel a sense of "failure" every time the scale moves up 2 lbs...and if it goes down a few lbs I just think "you still have so much further to go." I desperately want to get out of this cycle of thinking but I'm not sure how. I hope this doesn't come off as rambling; has anybody else struggled with this and overcome it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 09:36 AM

865 posts, read 1,489,165 times
First off, don't think you are alone. Your friends may talk negative to themselves, its one of those things a lot of people barely admit to.

But I will say one thing that has helped me to lose weight and keep it into prospective without psychologically beating myself up for missteps. I weight myself daily, but I DO NOT start beating myself up for two weeks! Remember the body could fluctuate +/- 2 lbs. in any one given day. I allow all positive changes to take two weeks to get any affect because some people just lose weight slower than others. Remember, if you start doing a certain exercise everyday, it may not show up on your body for weeks. Same with eating habits. Slow and steady wins the race.

Find your threshold, and try not to beat yourself up over infractions, and encourage yourself by allowing yourself time.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:40 PM

8 posts, read 8,179 times
Don't ever put your down and talk negatively about your body. You can only do your best and that's good enough. As long as you're living a healthy lifestyle and staying active, you should be very proud of yourself because that's way more than a lot of people. Just exercising you enjoy doing which can motivate you to do those more often. You'll see results I promise, it just takes time. And everyone's body works differently so don't compare yourself to others. Stay positive and keep doing what you're doing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss