Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 01:50 PM

26 posts, read 21,829 times

Advertisements

I just read this article: Lose Weight Without Trying – Simply Sparkling Life

It's a story on how someone (woman) lost 50 lbs firmly and permanently through the influence of Asian food thinking and cuisine. She was in US when losing all the weight. The writer also explained why the Asian way of eating effectively prevents someone from over-eating - for example, rice that has high water content that makes one much more filling than bread at the same calorie amount; and why a different concept of food made a difference ... it was quite enjoyable to read, also opened my eyes on a different culture.

I see Asian people being much more skinny compared to us (they have probably less than 5% obesity rate overall vs we have 37% nationwide). but I've never given much thinking into the food or the cuisine partially because of the crappy and oily food sold at the Chinese restaurants around my neighborhood. Now it seems that what they eat at home is nothing like what's sold in the restaurants.

Related experience or thoughts around?

Last edited by starbuxstranger; 06-22-2016 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: Edited typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 02:59 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbuxstranger View Post
I just read this article: Lose Weight Without Trying – Simply Sparkling Life

It's a story on how someone (woman) lost 50 lbs firmly and permanently through the influence of Asian food thinking and cuisine. She was in US when losing all the weight. The writer also explained why the Asian way of eating effectively prevents someone from over-eating - for example, rice that has high water content that makes one much more filling than bread at the same calorie amount; and why a different concept of food made a difference ... it was quite enjoyable to read, also opened my eyes on a different culture.

I see Asian people being much more skinny compared to us (they have probably less than 5% obesity rate overall vs we have 37% nationwide). but I've never given much thinking into the food or the cuisine partially because of the crappy and oily food sold at the Chinese restaurants around my neighborhood. Now it seems that what they eat at home is nothing like what's sold in the restaurants.

Related experience or thoughts around?
Ugh. This is almost borderline offensive, but since you probably innocently just dont know what you are talking about I'll give it a pass.

First of all, that isnt an "article". Its more of a click bait type website that prompts you to enter your name and email address so she can send you whatever it is she's talking about. Secondly, Asian cuisine is all different - Chinese different than Japanese which is different from Thai which is different from Korean which is different from Okinawan which is different from Phillipines which is different from Indonesian, etc.

Did you know that there are millions of Asians here in the United States? They eat the exact same food as the rest of us for the most part. You know why some are regular weight and others are overweight? Its portion and choices.

You are in the ballpark about what foods people eat that contribute to their obesity (or healthy normal size). Just dont eat all that crappy drive food junk, stay away from the sweet teas, and learn about nutrition and start making better decisions on food you eat. Oh, and have a regular workout regime as well.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Ugh. This is almost borderline offensive, but since you probably innocently just dont know what you are talking about I'll give it a pass.

First of all, that isnt an "article". Its more of a click bait type website that prompts you to enter your name and email address so she can send you whatever it is she's talking about. Secondly, Asian cuisine is all different - Chinese different than Japanese which is different from Thai which is different from Korean which is different from Okinawan which is different from Phillipines which is different from Indonesian, etc.

Did you know that there are millions of Asians here in the United States? They eat the exact same food as the rest of us for the most part. You know why some are regular weight and others are overweight? Its portion and choices.

You are in the ballpark about what foods people eat that contribute to their obesity (or healthy normal size). Just dont eat all that crappy drive food junk, stay away from the sweet teas, and learn about nutrition and start making better decisions on food you eat. Oh, and have a regular workout regime as well.
Excuse me, which part of my post do you find borderline offensive? It's the plain fact that Asian countries have an aggregate obesity rate of less than 5% and we have close to 37% (60% overweight rate in total). Are you saying Asians in Asia do a better job on portion size and food choices? If so, you are right as that's exactly why I shared the article.

Btw I don't see it being a click-bait type of website. There is a subscription pop-up asking if you'd like to subscribe just like any other blogs. You can shut it off easily. What I'm talking about is the story itself - it someone's personal experience that happens to touch on the problems our society has in an sophisticated way. Shouldn't we at least be open minded about it?

Old 06-22-2016, 05:29 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
The first red flag should have gone up with,'lose weight without trying'. I mean c'mon.

In order to lose weight you need to do more than try you have to commit. And no one cuisine is the answer. Common sense seems to go out the window when people want to lose weight.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:20 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,629 times
It's more likely the amount of vegetables eaten there relative to other food groups. And you really don't have to cook the East Asian way to include more vegetables in your diet and cut out the donuts and sugar water.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
It's more likely the amount of vegetables eaten there relative to other food groups. And you really don't have to cook the East Asian way to include more vegetables in your diet and cut out the donuts and sugar water.
No you don't have to eat like an Asian to lose weight. What I'm saying is their diet is very helpful for weight loss because they naturally eat high water and fiber content food with limited fat. For them they don't need to do the extra work to forbid themselves from eating certain food as we do.

You mentioned about vegetable, here's a quote I was just reading last night about why they naturally eat way more vegetable and get to enjoy it very much:

"Ever seen a plate of leaved vegetable dish in Asia (lettuce, spinach, bok choy etc.)? Did you know the actual volume of these leaved raw vegetables is about 8-10x of its cooked size? This is because they shrink dramatically during the cooking process. Think about in general how much vegetable you typically consume over one salad. That whole 10-inch-diameter box of raw leaved salad is really about 1/4-1/3 of what Asian people typically have on a plate by nominal nutrition value. Plus the plate of veggies comes in rich flavors and juicy texture that make them delightful to eat."

I went to a Chinese co-worker's place for Chinese new year last year and we had a big plate of multi-veggie scramble out of other 10-11 dishes on the table, it was very delicious and I had a whole bowl of it without knowing that equates to probably an entire bag of raw greens sold in the grocery store. Eating the same amount of salad would be torture.

Again my point is their way of eating food gives a natural advantage for becoming and staying thin. Maybe to them weight loss and maintenance isn't really a prob if they just eat food their way, that again is in line with the data points. Of course we can eat the way we do and lose weight, with so much effort of counting, weighing, banning this and restricting that.

Last edited by starbuxstranger; 06-23-2016 at 09:04 AM..

Old 06-23-2016, 12:38 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbuxstranger View Post

"Ever seen a plate of leaved vegetable dish in Asia (lettuce, spinach, bok choy etc.)? Did you know the actual volume of these leaved raw vegetables is about 8-10x of its cooked size? This is because they shrink dramatically during the cooking process. Think about in general how much vegetable you typically consume over one salad. That whole 10-inch-diameter box of raw leaved salad is really about 1/4-1/3 of what Asian people typically have on a plate by nominal nutrition value. Plus the plate of veggies comes in rich flavors and juicy texture that make them delightful to eat."
You don't have to have anything to do with Asian cuisine to know that green leafy vegetables wilt when you cook them. I use several recipes for completely non-Asian food that call for incorporating several bunches of greens into soups or sautes so they cook down. Anyone who's ever cooked knows this. It's not some sort of magic from the Mystic East

Old 06-23-2016, 01:58 PM

854 posts, read 1,704,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
Very true. Their meat intake is a small portion of their meal, where here it is the opposite.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:39 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
Very true. Their meat intake is a small portion of their meal, where here it is the opposite.
They also use a lot of rice and wheat gluten. Imagine that. Here is the USA people think of those foods as poison!

Old 06-23-2016, 07:59 PM

586 posts, read 831,570 times
Being Asian myself, I feel that most Asians have a fast metabolism. Everyone in my household is thin, despite what they eat as long as they dont stuff their face in it. For example, my sister who is 110 lbs and has always been that way can eat 2 portions of rice in 1 sitting and working out and she has never gained a single lb, whereas some people can gain weight easily on just 1 serving. I may not be correct about the metabolism thing, but thats what I noticed with my close friends and families. I used to be the same way, I could eat whatever I wanted on an "Asian" diet and not gain weight, the most I would weigh if I gorged on rice and protein (and I mean seriously overeating), and veggies was 138 lbs max. Then I did a reckless thing and turned to the horrendous drive thru American diet for a year, and that was enough for any one, even the leanest person, to balloon. I look back all the time and feel so darn stupid for putting myself through that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss