Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 08:33 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,904,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
In the book Protein Power...I was surprised to find in the back in the Epilogue ...
an entire section dedicated to ancient civilizations....ya know, the ones before agriculture...
farming....when we were hunter gatherers.

They could tell from grave sites who were hunter gatherers and who were grain or agriculturally based civilizations....some being buried centuries later on TOP of
old grave sites!
This was additionally interesting because the climate had not changed....just what they ate.

The agri-based...had teeth that might be nubs, cavities, just really bad! High infant death rate, shorter with less dense bones.
The hunter gatherers were 'healthy'...few baby deaths, good teeth, taller, with dense bones.

Same with the Egyptian mummies...they were knick-named the 'bread eaters'...their soldiers were given 5 loaves of bread a day as I recall.
They were mummified... overweight, with sticky plaque to this day still in their aortas, with all
their dentin gone from their teeth etc, etc.
(Rem the stories of Egypt and their wealth of grain? I do.)

This isn't some wild thing I made up to stay away from flour products...read about it
yourselves....my eyes were opened.
All sorts of meats, nuts, fruits, oils, vegetables are my diet, very little dairy (my choice) and
I look and feel better than anyone around me ...many many way younger than me.
Sometimes I feel bad about my endurance and slenderness...I only have 2 slender healthy friends....the rest are overweight to obese.

But, hey...I'm not trying to convince anyone...I really don't care about what people eat...but if this encourages someone to try it for a couple-3 weeks and see...cool.
Forget the pseudo-science crap. If you really want to know what our ancestors ate, listen to what the people who actually know say... anthropologists.

Here's a primer for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMOjVYgYaG8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Significantly reduce sugar and replace it with fat and protein.

I'm at 12 days on this diet and I'm down 9.1lbs.

12 days? That's it? You are promoting this with 12 days of experience? Come back and promote it when you've been following it for 12 years.

You are down 9 pounds in 12 days because you have depleted your glycogen stores and the water that goes with it, not because you have lost 9 pounds of fat.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:58 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,338,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
12 days? That's it? You are promoting this with 12 days of experience? Come back and promote it when you've been following it for 12 years.

You are down 9 pounds in 12 days because you have depleted your glycogen stores and the water that goes with it, not because you have lost 9 pounds of fat.
This is my second go. First time I dropped 40lbs. Dropped off though.

I'm promoting the diet because it is scientifically backed and it works.

Look into the research on Ketogenic dieting.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:08 PM

Quote:
  1. Your body runs most efficiently on glucose, as does your brain.
  1. . Fat, or more specifically ketones are the preferred energy source of your brain. Glucose just happens to be the first thing burned (to get rid of it).

Dietary Fat, Not Glucose, is the Preferred Body Fuel

Quote:
  2. The vegetables you are eating are mostly carbs.
  3. Which include dietary fiber. They aren't the carbs you'd get out of a potato. They also include the necessary electrolytes.

Quote:
  4. Sugar is not sugar no matter the source. Drinking a soda made from high fructose corn syrup is totally different than eating blueberries.
  5. Agreed. Then again, I never compared sugar to HFC, you did.

Quote:
  6. Fruits are full of fiber.
  7. Not all of them, most don't. Wouldn't matter because many are high in sugar. Sugar is sugar is sugar.

Quote:
  8. The best sources of energy come from carbs and fat and protein.
  9. Yep! That's all of them... Genius

Quote:
  10. Populations of the world with the highest longevity rates and lowest chronic diseases are those with the highest plant sources of nutrition in their diets.
  11. Going to need a source on that one!

Quote:
  12. The healthiest diets are made up of whole foods from a wide variety of sources that limit animal products.
Yeah, this one needs a source too.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:22 AM

Quote:
This is my second go. First time I dropped 40lbs. Dropped off though.

I'm promoting the diet because it is scientifically backed and it works.

Look into the research on Ketogenic dieting.
If it actually worked, it would have been sustainable and you wouldn't have to be doing it again. That's one of the problems with it. It's not sustainable.

Like I said, come back and promote it once you have sustained it for 12 years straight.

Old 07-23-2016, 06:58 AM

Quote:
If it actually worked, it would have been sustainable and you wouldn't have to be doing it again. That's one of the problems with it. It's not sustainable.

Like I said, come back and promote it once you have sustained it for 12 years straight.
Ha.

12 years lmao. I wasn't doing this diet correctly last time. It wouldn't have mattered how long though to you. You would've just changed the number anyway.

How about 15?

My body on the Ketogenic Diet - Album on Imgur
http://instagram.com/darthluiggi

This lady is going on for about 7 years

https://youtu.be/i6afiprUPRA

I'm not an example of success. The hundreds of thousands of others are.

This guy is a personal friend of mine, doing this same diet. Down 110lbs
https://instagram.com/p/BHw_YFKjX_N/

Old 07-23-2016, 07:19 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,228,599 times
IDK, I did keto for just shy of 6 months and it was a pretty miserable experience. I was nauseous, bloated, and lethargic almost all of the time. It was the only time in my life that my weight and body fat % started to creep up, in spite of keeping an eye on calories and working out the same. Does that mean it doesn't work? No, it just isn't a good fit *for me*, as I do not tolerate higher amounts of dietary fat very well. Other than that, I've stuck to a "beans n' greens" style of eating (with lots of carbs) for most of my life and have never needed to lose weight or walk around feeling hungry.

Take home message: there is more than one way to lose weight and maintain it. Do what works *for you*, so long as it it healthy and sustainable.

Old 07-23-2016, 07:22 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Quote:
Forget the pseudo-science crap. If you really want to know what our ancestors ate, listen to what the people who actually know say... anthropologists.
While i'm not actively on the paleo diet plan i do use this site for many of my mealtime creations=
Paleo Recipes - 450+ Free from Paleo Plan
Am i doing something wrong by frequently using recipes out of this list ?

Old 07-23-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
IDK, I did keto for just shy of 6 months and it was a pretty miserable experience. I was nauseous, bloated, and lethargic almost all of the time. It was the only time in my life that my weight and body fat % started to creep up, in spite of keeping an eye on calories and working out the same. Does that mean it doesn't work? No, it just isn't a good fit *for me*, as I do not tolerate higher amounts of dietary fat very well. Other than that, I've stuck to a "beans n' greens" style of eating (with lots of carbs) for most of my life and have never needed to lose weight or walk around feeling hungry.

Take home message: there is more than one way to lose weight and maintain it. Do what works *for you*, so long as it it healthy and sustainable.
Almost guarantee you were deficient in sodium, magnesium, and potassium.

It's the same reason I had those very same symptoms the first time I did it (and failed)

Old 07-23-2016, 08:47 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,228,599 times
Quote:
Almost guarantee you were deficient in sodium, magnesium, and potassium.

It's the same reason I had those very same symptoms the first time I did it (and failed)
Sure, it's possible. Either way, for someone (like me) who does not like meat very much and cannot tolerate high or moderate amounts of fat, it's just not a sustainable diet. No more than a high-carb diet could be sustainable for a diabetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss