Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 09:22 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viredblue View Post
If you starve your body of food and continuously drink water you will speed up your metabolism and therefore lose a phenomenal amount of weight. This topic is such a joke with a substantial lack of research.

If you stop eating and stop drinking water you will damage your body, you will most likely go into starvation mode in which you body slows down metabolism.

If you stop eating and continue drinking water (only water) your body will go into starvation mode and eat the fat that's already in your body. Your body is a fat storing machine, that's how UFC fighters engage in "extreme cutting" before fights.
Would you like to post some 'substantial' research to back up your claim? I find it hilariously inaccurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 07:48 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
How many fat people did the Allies find when they liberated the concentration camps?

"Starving" the body does not make a person fat and by the way, regarding the word "starving," you've never been seriously hungry if you think dipping below 1200 calories is the definition.

If you've fainted, lost hair, experienced serious memory loss, experiencd the initial stages of renal shutdown and stopped having a period, then you might be a little closer to the definition.

Old 11-04-2016, 06:53 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,648,319 times
Forget to eat. Right.

Old 11-04-2016, 02:53 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
How do you manage to eat so little? Do you ever eat breakfast? I know I would be starving and irritable if that's all I ate...
I eat when I am hungry. I eat a lot for lunch. I have been eating more lately. I started eating some Macadamia nuts in the morning and a snack in the afternoon (cheese or nuts). I haven't lost any weight but I haven't gained any either.

Old 11-04-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Forget to eat. Right.
Ha ha, I know, me too. "Whaaaaaaat?"

Old 11-04-2016, 04:38 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
You gotta eat and I believe what this book tells us:

https://www.amazon.com/Eat-Fat-Lose-.../dp/1594630054

I have a neighbor who starves herself, always fasting and she is heavier than ever. I can't tell her anything, so keep my mouth shut.

Old 11-04-2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
You gotta eat and I believe what this book tells us:

https://www.amazon.com/Eat-Fat-Lose-.../dp/1594630054

I have a neighbor who starves herself, always fasting and she is heavier than ever. I can't tell her anything, so keep my mouth shut.
I would bet my left glute she is wigging out from the hunger and bingeing in secret on a reasonably regular basis.

She is not gaining weight from fasting. She NOT gaining ("heavier than ever") from not eating ANY food (without alternating from some pretty decent overeating). I promise you. Not unless she's an air fern, and even air ferns aren't fat.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:35 PM

667 posts, read 1,849,551 times
It has been shown that mice who suffer severe calorie restriction live a longer healthier life. There are people who have gone on calorie restriction in hopes of reaping the same benefits, but there is no data to support or refute this idea for humans (for mice, it does clearly work) .

It's my understanding, but I could be wrong, that the reason the mice live longer is because their metabolism has slowed.

Metabolism is one of the most harmful things for your body. Every time you take in oxygen to burn fuel, you create harmful by products that can attack your DNA and collegen.

Exercise is wonderful, but I believe (I could be wrong) that the key to increased longevity (in this theory) is to metabolize your fuel as efficiently as possible (what could be called low metabolism) .

BTW, people do starve themselves, to the point of death or near death. It was very common among young teenagers and women when I was young. It is a nervous disorder. It's less of a problem today. Perhaps it is controlled with medication today? As I posted elsewhere, fasting has a mood altering effect.

Old 11-12-2016, 03:12 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,754,623 times
oh okay..

Old 08-06-2022, 09:54 AM

10,905 posts, read 7,393,957 times
skipping a meal once in a while or reducing overall calories to a "normal level" can help many people lose weight
Eating insufficient calories for long periods of time can damage the metabolism for at least some people.

I used to believe the calorie in/calorie out model, and followed it faithfully. I believed that all calories were equal, then I believed that there are good carbs and bad carbs, and good fats and bad fats. I believed that rice cakes were diet food, and it was better to eat carbs than meat.
Damn, all that nonsense can mess up your body.

Now i believe that every body is different, and you have to figure out what's best for YOUR body.
Mine seems to like low carb, moderately high fats, some exercise. My blood sugar and LDL have gone down, HDL is the best it has ever been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss