Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 05:50 PM

505 posts, read 585,178 times

Advertisements

This is just depressing:

The Fat Trap - The New York Times

No solution proposed either. Basically to be skinny requires a permanent eating disorder.

I've been on a diet since I was 10 years old. Jenny Craig. Phen Phen at 17. Developed an eating disorder in my late 20's (and lasted into my 30's) doing bikini competitions, which wrecked my metabolism. I've regained my 30 pounds and can't seem to get it off again. I have no idea what to do anymore and knowing that my genetics are fighting against me doesn't help. On a positive note, at a BMI of 26, I'm not fat enough for gastric sleeve, but enough to irritate me nonetheless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 08:59 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,087,037 times
This has been known for a long time. There are ways around it, however.

Old 11-19-2016, 09:45 PM

26,432 posts, read 46,638,115 times
Modified paleo diet is the answer, I have steadily lost weight over the years without much of an increase in exercise at all. Then again, I don't consume wheat either- that is a huge problem for Americans as modern wheat acts as a severe barrier for all weight loss.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:40 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,913,207 times
There is an easy solution. Get rid of processed, highly refined food foods. Eat a mostly whole food, plant based diet that contains mostly legumes, whole grains (including wheat), vegetables, nuts, and fruits and significantly cut down or cut out all together animal products. You can eat pretty much as much as you want and never have to worry about being overweight.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:59 AM

7,148 posts, read 12,686,436 times
I'm by no means an expert on permanent weight loss. I do maintain the same weight over the years. Portion control and breaking my sweet tooth habit helped so much!

From what I've read (and try to put into practice), I would recommend a holistic nutritionist/physician to evaluate your way of eating and make suggestions for a "lifestyle change."

It's been my experience that diets fail due to a sense of deprivation and denial-- and then we return to our old eating patterns -- which may not be serving us well. So instead, our eating patterns/style has to be changed permanently.

This is very, very difficult for many -- and when this is so there has to be a psychological component to weight loss...why do we eat what we do -- and how much of it do we eat? Our eating patterns often come from our emotional side rather than a physical need. Who doesn't eat (sometimes) from sadness, anxiety, fear, pain, anger? And usually our comfort foods are not a big plate of broccoli -- most often it's something sweet, creamy and high cal.

Just to say, making a permanent weight loss stay is complex and is not merely about food we put into our mouths -- but our relationship with the food over the years.

Enlisting a team to help lose weight seems to be the way to go. Since each of us love/hate certain foods, a custom eating plan makes sense that uses our preferences. Then we can stick to this new way of eating until it becomes a habit. Diets?? Meh.

Best of luck to you!

Old 11-20-2016, 06:31 PM

22,666 posts, read 24,632,000 times
Calorie control is a biggie for me.

I am not real active and have no interest in doing a lot of exercise.

So yeah, I eat 3 meals a day, nothing else, no snacking or caloric beverages. And yes, I count calories....not real lean, but at least I'm not getting around in a fatcart.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:29 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,488,833 times
Eating certain types of foods make you crave more and more and never feel satisfied creating a viscous circle.

Sugar and high amounts of carbohydrates will do the trick. Drop the "whites" and the cravings will stop thereby breaking the cycle.

Old 11-21-2016, 11:29 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,541,965 times
Disclaimer: This is what's working FOR ME:

Eating less calories and exercising more. My preferred eating style is high fat, moderate protein and low carb. No wheat, rice, grains, dairy. They make ME feel bloated and sluggish. THIS IS WHAT WORKS FOR ME. Your results may vary. High carb low protein work for some, for others it may be vegan, plant based, paleo, Atkins, etc etc.

I don't believe it's really about the STYLE of eating, it's more "calories in, calories out." When I started my weight loss plan in September, I was 191, today i'm 169. I'm 51, female and menopausal.

I went to one of the online calorie trackers and input my data. I followed the recommended calculations for calorie intake based on my infomation. If I do absolutely do nothing all day, I can eat 1200 calories and still lose. If I want to eat more food, I have to exercise. The exercise burns calories and creates more of a deficit. I can fill some of that deficit with extra calories. I weight train 4x a week, cardio the other 3. I also have a weekend job at Lowe's and I get out there and corral those carts with everyone else. Take stairs whenever possible. Park further away from mall/supermarket entrances. Brisk 3 mile walks after work sometimes. Every little bit helps.

There really is no magic potion, no pills, no NY Times/PopSugar/Dr. Oz magical formulas.

Eat less. Move more. That is all.

edit: oh yeah, I almost forgot. I invested in a digital scale ($15 at WalMart) and weigh my food in GRAMS. Best thing i've done. I was using measuring cups and measuring spoons before. For instance, last night I measured 1 serving of duck fat (which is 1 tablespoon, or 14 grams) in a tablespoon. I scooped out the tablespoon onto the scale, and the scale measured that serving as 16 grams. 2 grams here, 4 grams there, that adds up too and I didn't even realize it.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:53 AM

865 posts, read 1,490,562 times
It is all about calories...controlling, burning, etc.

I am down 55 lbs from Oct 2016, with a BMI of 23! It truly does work, and if you do it right, you aren't depriving yourself of certain foods (which is great for me because I am a picky eater).

Old 12-04-2016, 06:24 AM

667 posts, read 1,850,949 times
You might want to try this, Dr Kellyann's Bone Broth Diet.

I made this bone broth. It has this mystical cache about it that might have psychological effect. A lot of diet gurus recommend it now.

No matter what they say, it's a lot of work to make both broth, but that might be part of the psychological effect.

It doesn't taste good, no matter what they say. However, I mix it with about twenty five percent canned chopped tomatoes (after I heat and strain finished broth, tomatoes would not survive broth making process) and then it is delicious and low cal. It is so extremely filling. I have to force myself to eat dinner, afterwards.

You must strain the broth. Otherwise, it's got little bits of bone that taste disgusting.

It's not easy to strain, because it gels almost solid. I scoop out about three cups at a time, when I want to eat it, microwave it, strain that amount.

I think if you stick to this you will keep the weight off. It really cuts your appetite. Psychologically, it seems like this magical crutch. Also, Dr. Kellyann explains it heals small holes in your gut, and that helps your digestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss