Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 11:02 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,600,737 times

Advertisements

Is there something you can recommend so I can sort this out.

My doctor agreed with me that I could go on a low carbohydrate diet (approx. 50 carbs a day ideally though it would be "ok" if I ate up to 70. but he said 50 would be better. OK.

Now since I am pre-diabetic, he suggested not to eat fruit or milk (lactose).. however, if a keto diet is like up to 20 carbs a day, if a piece of fruit (berries) is 10 carbs, couldn't you eat 20 carbs of fruit a day?

then there is the LCHF diet which allows more fat, I also understand that it would be very hard to do a low carb/low fat diet since the Fat fills you up (fiber also).

So far, I have been doing this a week and lost 7 pounds. I am keeping carbs to about 60 a day. I think I will lose weight and help my sugars go down to normal.

So what I plan to do is go as low carb as comfortably so that its not drudgery or too hard. But can you all answer the fruit question - why cant you eat a fruit and be under 50 carbs, will you still lose weight.. I probably was previously eating 400 carbs a day.

Beans is a carb but not recommended because it is higher carbs, bread, etc. if I am allowed 50 carbs a day, cant that be one fruit and maybe 1 bread slice? or if I actually do a keto diet, when do you start adding back some complex carbs like fruit? can you eat keto 6 days a week and then do like 50 carbs for a day? will that work and still lose weight and get my sugar numbers down (AIC, etc)

I hope this will make a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 12:22 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,826,116 times
Keto and low carb work for a lot of people but it is not the not game in town. It sounds like going low carb might be really hard for you, and if that is the case, you will fail on it. Perhaps you could look to Weight Watchers or some other program that lets you eat from all the food groups.
If your doctor recommended this way of eating they should have provided you with a game plan and a lot more information.

Old 02-28-2017, 03:03 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,483,762 times
I assume you are doing this for your pre-diabetes, so no any "standard" diet like weight watchers would not be appropriate. I have been on LCHF for 2.5 years now and would never go back. I am a full diabetic and it has made a world of difference not only with my diabetes (A1C) but with my cholesterol, triglycerides etc. I have lots of energy and have absolutely no cravings for bread, pasta or sugar of any kind. It does take some time to adapt. The idea behind keto is mainly for weight loss and fat burning. With that diet you switch your fuel source from carbs/glucose to ketones. I would say it is not necessary to go full keto but just low carb if BG control is your aim. The weight should come off gradually and your insulin resistance will improve greatly which brings up another thing and that is insulin. One of the reasons low carb/keto diets work is because you keep insulin levels low. High carb = high insulin levels and that is not what you want. That being said, not all carbs are created equal and some may not affect your blood sugar levels much at all. Some are obvious but some are not. For example, you mention beans. I love beans and they dont affect my sugar levels much at all. So I enjoy them even though they do have a substantial amount of carbs. The only way I know this is with my meter of course. You should get one and use it when you need to know how certain foods will affect you. There is no need to use it all the time. Test 1.5 to 2 hours after a meal to see your numbers.

Here are two very good sites FYI that offer a LOT of information you can use. Try reading some of the very informative articles.

Diet Doctor

Ditch The Carbs - LCHF recipes, low carb, sugar free, wheat free, grain free, gluten free. Lose weight, gain health and nutrition.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:51 AM

9,870 posts, read 7,747,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post

So what I plan to do is go as low carb as comfortably so that its not drudgery or too hard. But can you all answer the fruit question - why cant you eat a fruit and be under 50 carbs, will you still lose weight.. I probably was previously eating 400 carbs a day.

Beans is a carb but not recommended because it is higher carbs, bread, etc. if I am allowed 50 carbs a day, cant that be one fruit and maybe 1 bread slice? or if I actually do a keto diet, when do you start adding back some complex carbs like fruit? can you eat keto 6 days a week and then do like 50 carbs for a day? will that work and still lose weight and get my sugar numbers down (AIC, etc)
My carbs are vegetables. I eat a lot of cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, onions, tomatoes, peppers, asparagus, spinach, etc. That's me. Everyone is different, if you're coming off of 400 carbs a day, you may be able to eat a tiny bit of fruit and bread.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:50 PM

Hi all - well so far i have been slowly weaning myself from the bad food, now i lost 9 pounds since 2 weeks ago.. i am determined (have the motivation in my head right now). so im keeping it about 60 carbs a day. but next week im going to increase the foods that will keep it if i can about 40 carbs. i told the doctor i knew how to eat, pretty much i do, but i have just a few specific questions.

One reason is that my friend went to Ideal Protein, and he went on what looks like a keto diet, now he tries to give me suggestions which do not seem to be appropriate for me, i.e. no green beans, no full fat ranch dressing, no carrots, i think he is doing low fat, 10-20 carbs a day. i dont think that is right for me, since fat is the thing to replace sugar to fill you up and give you food satisfaction. I'm doing well for now..

but i do want to know if like in 3 months, i can then add some complex carbos like carrots or one fruit a day (still keeping within 50 carbs a day).. so i just need help tweaking it, and also this -

Would you say that there are maybe several different types of low carb diets (i.e. Atkins, keto, paleo, clean eating, etc) and each are good but depending on what you will be able to stick with for the long haul, that is what you should do? thats what i think i ought to do, but i just need a little guidance.

I did call the doc today and left him a message about a little more specifics on how to guide me going forward.

I am doing well so far and I am motivated to go even more healthy next week when i go shopping for some very very low carb food i.e. fish, nuts, etc.

What do you all think about coconut flour and almond flour (you can make a pancake with that kind of flour plus egg, and i think oil? would that be bad for a person aiming for about 30-60 carbs a day (im on my 2nd week of this).

by the way, i do not believe i want to do Weight Watchers, i really believe i need to cut sugars to combat the pre-diabetes, and i really wish to do this this way (low carb, almost keto (maybe i can do keto for a week to see if i can do it) likewise, no Nutrisystem - blech! the food on the commercials looks like junk food.

Thanks for the help steering me around this

Old 03-01-2017, 08:34 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,920,830 times
Quote:

My doctor agreed with me that I could go on a low carbohydrate diet (approx. 50 carbs a day ideally though it would be "ok" if I ate up to 70. but he said 50 would be better. OK.

Now since I am pre-diabetic, he suggested not to eat fruit or milk (lactose).. however, if a keto diet is like up to 20 carbs a day, if a piece of fruit (berries) is 10 carbs, couldn't you eat 20 carbs of fruit a day?

then there is the LCHF diet which allows more fat, I also understand that it would be very hard to do a low carb/low fat diet since the Fat fills you up (fiber also).

So far, I have been doing this a week and lost 7 pounds. I am keeping carbs to about 60 a day. I think I will lose weight and help my sugars go down to normal.

It would be hard to eat a substantial amount of fruit and stay under 50 carbs per day. Berries every now and then are doable but other fruit has too many carbs.

Remember eggs have carbs. Veggies have carbs. Cream has carbs. Cheese has carbs. Salad dressing has carbs. Low carb foods still have some carbs. If you use half your carbs on a bannana or apple it is hard to stay low carb.

If you want to get your sugar numbers down you should avoid sugar in any form. That includes fruit. I have been low carb for years. I lost 50 lb. I gained a few pounds back but lost them again. Low carb works best when it is the way you eat all the time, not something you look to manipulate.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:37 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,920,830 times
Quote:
Hi all - well so far i have been slowly weaning myself from the bad food, now i lost 9 pounds since 2 weeks ago.. i am determined (have the motivation in my head right now). so im keeping it about 60 carbs a day. but next week im going to increase the foods that will keep it if i can about 40 carbs. i told the doctor i knew how to eat, pretty much i do, but i have just a few specific questions.

One reason is that my friend went to Ideal Protein, and he went on what looks like a keto diet, now he tries to give me suggestions which do not seem to be appropriate for me, i.e. no green beans, no full fat ranch dressing, no carrots, i think he is doing low fat, 10-20 carbs a day. i dont think that is right for me, since fat is the thing to replace sugar to fill you up and give you food satisfaction. I'm doing well for now..

but i do want to know if like in 3 months, i can then add some complex carbos like carrots or one fruit a day (still keeping within 50 carbs a day).. so i just need help tweaking it, and also this -

Would you say that there are maybe several different types of low carb diets (i.e. Atkins, keto, paleo, clean eating, etc) and each are good but depending on what you will be able to stick with for the long haul, that is what you should do? thats what i think i ought to do, but i just need a little guidance.

I did call the doc today and left him a message about a little more specifics on how to guide me going forward.

I am doing well so far and I am motivated to go even more healthy next week when i go shopping for some very very low carb food i.e. fish, nuts, etc.

What do you all think about coconut flour and almond flour (you can make a pancake with that kind of flour plus egg, and i think oil? would that be bad for a person aiming for about 30-60 carbs a day (im on my 2nd week of this).

by the way, i do not believe i want to do Weight Watchers, i really believe i need to cut sugars to combat the pre-diabetes, and i really wish to do this this way (low carb, almost keto (maybe i can do keto for a week to see if i can do it) likewise, no Nutrisystem - blech! the food on the commercials looks like junk food.

Thanks for the help steering me around this
I use almond flour and coconut flour. There are some great low carb recipes here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=www....utf-8&oe=utf-8

and here:

All Day I Dream About Food | Low Carb Recipes, Amazing Food

Reduce the sugars and keep them reduced. You can do this.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:49 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times
Who said that you had to eliminate sugar from your diet completely as a diabetic? My father in law has type 2 and eats a moderate amount of carbs. He checks his sugar regularly with his meter. I'm not talking about things like cake, I'm talking about nutritious things like fruit that pack a lot of vitamins/minerals. Beans have fiber which is invaluable to the gut. When I had gestational diabetes, I definitely had to watch carbs and sugar spikes, but found that when I ate a piece of fruit with a serving of protein (usually nuts or cheese), my blood sugar did not rise.

Weight Watchers allows you eat how you want to eat...they don't make you have to eat high carb if that's not what you want to do. And I'd never do anything that required prepackaged food. You can't really selectively do keto...you're either on board with it or not. If you're not, there's other ways to achieve results.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:52 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
Quote:

https://www.cornerstones4care.com/

Old 03-02-2017, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
It would be hard to eat a substantial amount of fruit and stay under 50 carbs per day. Berries every now and then are doable but other fruit has too many carbs.

Remember eggs have carbs. Veggies have carbs. Cream has carbs. Cheese has carbs. Salad dressing has carbs. Low carb foods still have some carbs. If you use half your carbs on a bannana or apple it is hard to stay low carb.

If you want to get your sugar numbers down you should avoid sugar in any form. That includes fruit. I have been low carb for years. I lost 50 lb. I gained a few pounds back but lost them again. Low carb works best when it is the way you eat all the time, not something you look to manipulate.
I get it - its like budgeting your nutrients (re the fruit).

I think also you avoid fruit and other high-sugar foods because you want your body to use fat as fuel, not sugar as fuel? is that the idea?

I do want to do the low carb. I am motivated to do that, amazingly because i am a sugar addict. I mean literally where certain food when eaten makes me feel relaxed, like a tranquilizer! you can actually feel the calmness set in after eating certain foods. but now i am determined to do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss