Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 06:25 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,500,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Yep..and it's sad, isn't it? Why can't docs use the best tools to HEAL people. Drugs only mask symptoms imho--not cure, unless it's a self-limiting infection fixed by anti-biotics.

But heart disease, hypertension, even some cancers -- what's the cause?

Stress, bad diet, lack of exercise, environmental toxins, too much alcohol, smoking..etc.? All are life style causes that can be mitigated-- if the patient wants to take control of their health. Otherwise, a doctor is left with no tools other than a prescription drug.

Many of us are looking for a quick and painless cure without being part of the solution.. Me, I'm trying to take responsibility for my own health. Not perfect, by any means, but getting better.
Not sad at all. MDs are meant to be scientists. A lot of the natural stuff hasn't been scientifically proven (not saying they don't work). If you want natural stuff, go see a naturopath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 06:09 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,657,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Not sad at all. MDs are meant to be scientists. A lot of the natural stuff hasn't been scientifically proven (not saying they don't work). If you want natural stuff, go see a naturopath.
I most certainly would if:

There was one within 100 miles of me (there isn't)

Insurance would cover my visits to a holistic healer. (it doesn't)

But consider this...

I take a diuretic and an Ace Inhibitor. Have for a long time. The diuretic causes loss of electrolytes. This loss, if substantial, can cause heart issues. Magnesium and potassium loss especially. Skipped beats, flutters, pounding and such.

This is chemistry/science. Proven science.

It's happening to me. Heart issues as above. My doctor wants to prescribe more medications. I want to know if my sudden condition is caused by magnesium loss (or other electrolyte/mineral loss) by long-term diuretic use -- which I suspect it is.

In other words, I want a solution to the problem. Not more medications to mask the problem. Or to cause new problems.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:11 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Have you requested a blood test to check? I'm always given blood tests to ensure the meds are not causing damage in other areas (ie: electrolytes).
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-10-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Have you requested a blood test to check? I'm always given blood tests to ensure the meds are not causing damage in other areas (ie: electrolytes).
Yes and no. I was given the usual blood test but it doesn't show cellular magnesium levels and serum mag levels don't reveal a shortage at the cellular level.

I've been reading about this...very interesting. Magnesium deficiency is an often over-looked--and common-- cause of people having flutters, a-fib, and rapid or pounding heartbeats, skipped beats (absent any organic or malfunctioning problems with the heart).

And diuretic use is the culprit most often causing mag . deficiency. I'd like to rule this out before exploring other more invasive drugs or techniques. (No lifestyle issues, not overweight, have used a used a treadmill for years, have a low pulse rate).

Old 04-10-2017, 06:38 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,573,964 times
Our Dr.'s definitely do. It helps us keep on track.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Yes and no. I was given the usual blood test but it doesn't show cellular magnesium levels and serum mag levels don't reveal a shortage at the cellular level.

I've been reading about this...very interesting. Magnesium deficiency is an often over-looked--and common-- cause of people having flutters, a-fib, and rapid or pounding heartbeats, skipped beats (absent any organic or malfunctioning problems with the heart).

And diuretic use is the culprit most often causing mag . deficiency. I'd like to rule this out before exploring other more invasive drugs or techniques. (No lifestyle issues, not overweight, have used a used a treadmill for years, have a low pulse rate).
Is there any way to tell on a cellular level? Is that really a thing?

Have you just tried taking a magnesium supplement?

No one needs a doctor's note to exercise, eat right and take up healthy habits.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Is there any way to tell on a cellular level? Is that really a thing?

Have you just tried taking a magnesium supplement?

No one needs a doctor's note to exercise, eat right and take up healthy habits.
Yep, there's a test for mag within the cells. Not commonly called for, more pricey than the usual blood work.

You're right -- no no one needs a doctor's note for lifestyle changes -- but most of us need the support and suggestions, and encouragement to make major lifestyle changes. We're a stubborn species, aren't we?

A previous doctor I had signed me up for a smoking cessation program and I quit smoking. Other docs just told me I should quit smoking..yada yada. I knew that, of course, but my pro-active doc got me to do it.

Another friend's doc sent him to a registered dietitian for counseling. His doc didn't like the results of friend's lipid panel. Turned out my friend rarely ate a vegetable but loved his meat and potatoes. Over the past 6 months, he's dropped 15 pounds -- he's listening to the dietitian, eating more fruits and vegetables, cut back on the meat, taters and gravy.

So a caring doc can greatly impact our health by caring, appropriate referrals and lifestyle change support.

If you do it all on your own, you have my sincere congratulations. But some of us need a "little help from our friends."

Old 04-11-2017, 11:06 AM

Fair enough.

Personally, I don't expect my doctor to care about me, more than me.

And I have really, good, caring doctors.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:15 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,304,488 times
My doctor told me two years ago to lose 10 pounds, which I did, but I found it rather funny considering two of the women in his office are seriously obese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss