Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 08:06 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times

Advertisements

I know you are itching to jumpstart your weight loss, but doing a temporary diet is worse in the long run. If you watch "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead 2" he admits to regaining weight and needing to find sustainable habits. If you want to keep it off you need to figure out your lifetime habits not temporary ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 05:44 AM

2,906 posts, read 1,981,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I know you are itching to jumpstart your weight loss, but doing a temporary diet is worse in the long run. If you watch "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead 2" he admits to regaining weight and needing to find sustainable habits. If you want to keep it off you need to figure out your lifetime habits not temporary ones.
I don't disagree with you Jade, but understand this diet is for the rapid weight loss I desire, and some of the changes in my diet are permanent ones. For example, bye, bye Dr. Pepper, and stopping the big meals filled with fat, like big taco dinners. When I was in my late teens and all throughout my 20s I hardly ate, in fact when I saw other people addicted to food I remember thinking to myself I hope I never get that way. Well I did without even realizing it.

Honestly, the challenge of tackling this issue and losing as much as I can as quickly as I can motivates me. Long gone are the days when I was heavy into physical fitness, nothing but muscle, and with probably around 2-3% body fat, however, I would like to fit into some of my old jeans from a few years ago that I still have and not have to wear 'big fat guy' jeans. And as I lose weight and also address some bad injuries with surgery, I should be able to workout more than I can at the moment.

Thanks for your input.

On a sidenote, towards the end of the day yesterday I noticed my allergies weren't bothering me near as much as they normally do. Couldn't help but believe the vegetable and fruit smoothies I drank helped. My allergist told me my allergies were the worst he had seen in 20-30 years. I was allergic to virtually everything and many were severe reactions. Allergy medication has helped for the last 23 years deal with the headaches and some of the sinus drainage, but due to my age allergy shots couldn't help. I'll be monitoring this to see if taking in the benefits from all the vegetables is helping or if it was a coincidence. It didn't eliminate them but it did seem to help. I'll add an update in future posts once I'm sure one way or another, and how much of a help it's been in that regard.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:29 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,251,417 times
Quote:
Developing sustainable habits is key to becoming healthier. Good information on a healthy diet and sustainable weight loss is hard to come by.

After my mom died of cancer, I decided that I had to adopt healthy habits. I read the book How Not to Die and visit https://nutritionfacts.org frequently. I eat a lot more fruit and vegetables than I used to eat. On thing that Dr. Greger frequently mentions is that a healthy diet doesn't have to be expensive and helps you make good choices when you shop. He also has a free app called The Daily Dozen that helps me make good choices.

I also read The Fiber 35 Diet, Fiber 35 Diet Archives - BrendaWatson.com. I don't follow the diet per season but I use My Fitness Pal to count calories and fiber grams that I consume. The fiber makes me feel less hungry.

The information from those sources has helped me drop 51 pounds since October. I feel better and look better.

My advice OhioJB, is to seek out good information from good sources and work on improving your health. The weight will come off and you'll feel better.

Good luck!

Old 07-16-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
Developing sustainable habits is key to becoming healthier. Good information on a healthy diet and sustainable weight loss is hard to come by.

After my mom died of cancer, I decided that I had to adopt healthy habits. I read the book How Not to Die and visit https://nutritionfacts.org frequently. I eat a lot more fruit and vegetables than I used to eat. On thing that Dr. Greger frequently mentions is that a healthy diet doesn't have to be expensive and helps you make good choices when you shop. He also has a free app called The Daily Dozen that helps me make good choices.

I also read The Fiber 35 Diet, Fiber 35 Diet Archives - BrendaWatson.com. I don't follow the diet per season but I use My Fitness Pal to count calories and fiber grams that I consume. The fiber makes me feel less hungry.

The information from those sources has helped me drop 51 pounds since October. I feel better and look better.

My advice OhioJB, is to seek out good information from good sources and work on improving your health. The weight will come off and you'll feel better.

Good luck!
Congratulations on your weight loss, photobuff. Good advice.

Ok, I've debated whether to post a pic of my weigh-in. Since it only shows my feet I guess I will. Still feels weird doing so. Seeing is believing so I may as well put this out there. Wish I had taken one from Friday morning when I was 312, the first day of my diet. My first weigh-in this morning was 307.2, this one taken a couple hours later was 307.8. Hope you like my new socks. Click on the image to get a better view. Thought the black curtain would make a good background.

And by the way, made another full blender full of vegetable and fruit smoothies. One thing I've noticed is drinking this makes me want ice water right away, not Dr. Pepper.
Attached Thumbnails
OhioJB's Diet-7162017weight.jpg  

Old 07-16-2017, 09:25 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Also, go to YouTube and find some men on a weight loss journey. You can see how they've gotten past hurdles.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:39 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Besides, I imagine that cleaning out the blender every day is going to get old.

Old 07-16-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Yup! Although I saw a USB chargeable mini blender following me on Facebook and I was sort of intrigued. :P

I don't like smoothies enough to have them daily. I'd rather just eat real food like a hearty serving of veggies. And it is really easy to make a nkt tasty smoothie. Also it is really contrived to just add ingredients for supposed health benefits.

Sautéed garlic + kale = yummy.
Garlic + kale + other veggies + a little bit of fruit in a smoothie =

Old 07-16-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
I don't disagree with you Jade, but understand this diet is for the rapid weight loss I desire, and some of the changes in my diet are permanent ones. For example, bye, bye Dr. Pepper, and stopping the big meals filled with fat, like big taco dinners. When I was in my late teens and all throughout my 20s I hardly ate, in fact when I saw other people addicted to food I remember thinking to myself I hope I never get that way. Well I did without even realizing it.

Honestly, the challenge of tackling this issue and losing as much as I can as quickly as I can motivates me. Long gone are the days when I was heavy into physical fitness, nothing but muscle, and with probably around 2-3% body fat, however, I would like to fit into some of my old jeans from a few years ago that I still have and not have to wear 'big fat guy' jeans. And as I lose weight and also address some bad injuries with surgery, I should be able to workout more than I can at the moment.

Thanks for your input.

On a sidenote, towards the end of the day yesterday I noticed my allergies weren't bothering me near as much as they normally do. Couldn't help but believe the vegetable and fruit smoothies I drank helped. My allergist told me my allergies were the worst he had seen in 20-30 years. I was allergic to virtually everything and many were severe reactions. Allergy medication has helped for the last 23 years deal with the headaches and some of the sinus drainage, but due to my age allergy shots couldn't help. I'll be monitoring this to see if taking in the benefits from all the vegetables is helping or if it was a coincidence. It didn't eliminate them but it did seem to help. I'll add an update in future posts once I'm sure one way or another, and how much of a help it's been in that regard.
I have no doubt you will lose weight. I highly doubt the weight you lose will stay off if you don't have a sustainable and realistic plan to support it.

I am working on losing weight as well (amount is TBD) and I am in a Facebook group with my cousin and her friends for a year long challenge. Many of them are doing very intensive things that I doubt they will keep up. They are making progress. But each who is doing the most extreme things or hardest to keep up, have had setbacks where they regained 10-15 pounds. I joined late, we are 6 months in. But it looks like a common thing. I wonder what happens this time next year.

I am working on the slow and steady path and really reflecting on what hasn't worked for me in the past and what is most practical to do for the long haul. I am not making progress as fast, but my progress is steady and that counts more. I'd rather not have setbacks because I went too hard and it was unrealistic for me to keep up. I am not saying I don't consider doing different stuff. But that stuff doesn't fit in with the long term vision of my life.

Old 07-16-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Funny thing is I was surprised how easy it's been to clean it. The ingredients I'm using are part of the reason, plus I've been cleaning it as soon as I finish.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:42 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,251,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
Funny thing is I was surprised how easy it's been to clean it. The ingredients I'm using are part of the reason, plus I've been cleaning it as soon as I finish.
Blender cleaning = no big deal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss