Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 07:58 PM

33,322 posts, read 12,511,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I'm normally don't post pictures on the internet but sometimes it's all about the visual. Sometimes encouragement comes from seeing a person just like you who embarked on the weight loss journey, experienced the highs and the lows, and ultimately achieved their goal. That being said, I'm removing the cloak of anonymity and posting my before and after pictures.

My before weight = 221 or so

My after weight (in this picture) 155 Final Weight Loss: 151

Height : 5'10

Total pounds lost: 70

Body fat (before) : 35% I think Body fat After - 19.5-21%

Measurements: 40-35-44 / after: 34-28-36.5

Achieved 60 lbs loss in 9-10 months.

It wasn't a walk in the park and I didn't think it would ever happen. But I

Feel free to post your own before and after pics. I'd love to see them!
Congratulations!

151...Definitely a good weight.

A friend of mine is one pound lighter and not quite your height (she's 5' 9", rather than 5' 10"), an that is a great, healthy, lean weight for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 05:47 AM

2,919 posts, read 1,983,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
+1

Go OhioJB .....You can do it !!!!!

I did it before, and I'm in the process of doing it again.
Thanks. Not having a good weekend regarding my diet but will get back on track Monday. I'm not going to lose sleep over little setbacks, otherwise I'll get frustrated and stop the diet completely.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:15 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,574,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
Thanks. Not having a good weekend regarding my diet but will get back on track Monday. I'm not going to lose sleep over little setbacks, otherwise I'll get frustrated and stop the diet completely.
Why wait until Monday? Get back on track today.

Every single little win you collect adds up to being part of a larger win. If you eat responsibly today, even if you just keep things in check and not hide behind the excuse that you're "not having a good weekend", that's a win.

Weight loss is a long game, don't forget that.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:25 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,574,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
Ironically, my weight loss is starting out the opposite of yours it sounds like. My first week of mostly drinking vegetable and fruit smoothies saw me lose 11.2 lbs., but since I started at a weight that's much higher than my ideal weight it wasn't hard to lose weight initially. The 2nd week is not starting out as good, as cravings that I didn't have the first week are coming into play, and I've allowed myself to have a couple sandwiches yesterday, and a couple Reese's cups. Setbacks but I'll overcome them. Thanks for the encouragement.
You went from indulging in super rich and appealing foods to drinking blended salads, you are setting yourself up for a bumpy ride at best or failure at worst.

I know I've suggested this to you before in a different thread, but you should really consider shifting your strategy to calorie management. Eat foods that are satisfying and leave you feeling full but which are relatively low in calories and leave a little extra room for the occasional Reese's treat. That way, you can be successful, remove the stigma of cheating and not torture yourself. Plus, if you have a bad day, you can easily compensate for it over the next few days and finish the week in good overall shape.

The important thing is, accept that it will take time to change your eating habits and don't beat yourself up for the occasional and expected setbacks.

Old 07-23-2017, 11:43 AM

2,919 posts, read 1,983,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
You went from indulging in super rich and appealing foods to drinking blended salads, you are setting yourself up for a bumpy ride at best or failure at worst.

I know I've suggested this to you before in a different thread, but you should really consider shifting your strategy to calorie management. Eat foods that are satisfying and leave you feeling full but which are relatively low in calories and leave a little extra room for the occasional Reese's treat. That way, you can be successful, remove the stigma of cheating and not torture yourself. Plus, if you have a bad day, you can easily compensate for it over the next few days and finish the week in good overall shape.

The important thing is, accept that it will take time to change your eating habits and don't beat yourself up for the occasional and expected setbacks.
I appreciate the advice. Last week was rough drinking mostly the smoothies, with little else. Losing 11.2 lbs. was great but it affected my breathing and my heart (I believe). They say losing weight too quickly can be bad for your health, but I think this was more a case of the radical change in my diet affecting me. My body wasn't used to taking in all those vegetables and fruits, especially in a smoothie which I'm guessing is easier for the body to absorb. This coming week instead of drinking two or three coffee mugs full of the smoothies I'll have one, and also eat more solid food. I bought lettuce this time so I could make salads also. Actually looking forward to them.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:36 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,117,780 times
Thanks for posting your before and after, OP. You have told your story many times, but pictures truly tell the story - you look fantastic, and like others have said almost like two different people. I don't have the courage to post my before and after because I shudder at my "before" lol. But yes, I look like two different people - even my husband is amazed when I show him my old pictures (I guess he forgets what I was like, lol!)

Anyway, for me a tad over 5'8" and before 200 lbs. After 140 lbs, so 60 lb loss. Did this over a period of several years because some years I wasn't quite as motivated I guess. I will never let myself get like that again. I look and feel 1000 times better. The bonus to that is that it motivates me even more to keep myself in shape.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:25 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,473,271 times
Thanks guys. I'm glad that the pics are inspiring. That was my intention. I wanted people to see that it can be done and goals can be reached. Travelassie is right, it takes a lot of perseverance. I didn't think that I could ever lose the weight. I would start, then regain, abandon the effort, start... Since I was now 40, I was confronted with a very sluggish metabolism. I didn't lose ten pounds right off the bat. It was slow and steady. I thought that at some point I would give up because I did in the past. I thought at some point I would stop going to the gym because I had so little time in my day. I have two young children and a very busy full time job at a law firm. But..I didn't. I kept going. There were some weeks when the scale didn't move. But I kept going.

I really appreciate the positive words about my before picture. I just focused on the weight aspect and didn't notice my smile Truth is, I was happy back then. I have a family that is supportive and loving, that didn't change. I was still loved and desired, even if there was so much more of me to love. But I also developed health problems, chronic conditions that will plague me for the rest of my life. That was my impetus to lose weight, not trying to fit into a size 6.

I take medication for my HBP but thanks to exercise and lost weight, I no longer take any pain medication (I used to take 2400 mg of ibuprofen) for my arthritis. I feel stronger and healthier.

I wanted to come from "behind the curtain" so to speak so people can see that the fight is real and that they're not alone.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:28 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,473,271 times
KaraG - it isn't easy but I have to make time for it. I'm very time constrained and I'm stretched thin, but thankfully my family is on board. this is for mommy's health, simply put. i can't preach the importance of physical activity enough because it is a key component to not only my loss but staying healthy.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:52 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Quote:
KaraG - it isn't easy but I have to make time for it. I'm very time constrained and I'm stretched thin, but thankfully my family is on board. this is for mommy's health, simply put. i can't preach the importance of physical activity enough because it is a key component to not only my loss but staying healthy.
Did you eliminate a lot of WHITE foods? I talked about my hairdresser who did that and stayed with it. She took off over 60 lbs last time I saw her.

Health is A No. 1.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:01 AM

14,938 posts, read 12,136,035 times
Quote:
For sure! Your family wants mommy around, and at her best, for a long, long time.

I know how tough it is to make time for, and stick to that exercise routine, but I can also attest to the ongoing benefits all the way around, of regular exercise. I'm like so many other folks that find getting out to a gym difficult, and really don't like it-ever since I broke a rib in an overcrowded aerobic dance class pileup in one of those large chain out for your money gyms many years ago. Three of us limped/staggered out and the instructor didn't even notice!!! We also live in a rural area and the closest gym is about 18 miles away (YMCA) so the travel added to the gym time makes it even less desirable for me.

But we bought a combination elliptical/recumbant bike machine, put it in a spare bedroom, and there is no excuse for not using it on a regular basis. I get up early and before I do anything else, I exercise for about 45-50 minutes, for 5 days a week. I know it's hardly Olympic level exercise (or hard core or whatever), but I am an old lady and it works for me. I also walk a couple days a week.

Just a thought for folks who have a hard time getting to a gym.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss