Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 05:57 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,285,400 times

Advertisements

(sorry this is so long, TIA to anyone who reads this thing)

Hi all.

Since the beginning of the year, I have been on a campaign to eat healthier, but to do so without making myself crazy. I am coming at this from a health perspective, but am also hoping that some weight loss with come with this eating plan. For me, I can't think of it in terms of a "weight loss diet", or I will do one of two things (and probably both): 1) become totally obsessive about it and/or 2) ultimately rebel and sabotage myself.

I won't get into my whole history, but I am finding my current way to be a much better approach for myself mentally and emotionally. I just can't go through another white-knuckle diet experience. I always come off of those hating myself and feeling terrible, even if I was successful. Weight is then regained (and then some) and i hate myself even more.

I'm not much of a fast food eater, so that part was easy. My sweet tooth seems to have eased quite a bit in recent years too, with a few exceptions. I haven't needed to binge on candy, sweet sodas, cake, ice cream, etc. I do have a fondness for chocolate almond milk, but I recently gave that up too.

My biggest weaknesses have been pasta, rice and bread, fatty cuts of meat, prepared meals and beer. Giving up the pasta and beer has been the hardest. Beer because I love it and pasta, well I love it too, but it is also something that is so easy to make and I can usually whip up my own invented recipes that end up great. Cheap, easy, lots of different ways to make it, it's been a go-to meal for me for a good while.

Well, I haven't had any pasta or beer so far in 2018. I have not had any beef either. My meals are usually a lot of leafy greens, a mix of red leaf lettuce, kale, swiss chard, spinach, chicken or salmon or cod, sometimes some other veg (brussel sprouts or asparagus, typically) if I've made some ahead. Sunflower seeds, a few almonds. Once in a while I may add some egg or cheese. I make a big salad with a variety of the above included, or cook some chicken or fish and have some veg (spinach, brussel sprouts or asparagus) with the meal as well.

Typically I'll have the big salad as lunch and then the chicken or fish w/ veg smaller meal for dinner. Sometimes it's just a smaller salad with the protein for dinner instead. Most days I don't eat breakfast, but if I do, I eat some yogurt with honey & blueberries or a couple of eggs. Oh, and I've been making my own balsamic vinaigrette (I can't believe I never did this before). I am not snacking at all, haven't been much of a snacker, generally, in recent years, so that's not something I miss. I've also given up my decades-long Diet Coke habit! I haven't had a drop in 2018.

I am loving eating this way and find that I miss my pasta and beer less and less. I feel great, I am sleeping a bit better, I'm more energetic and clothes are fitting better too. I can wear some things that I couldn't wear a couple of months ago. I am finding that one of the mental things that is helping me be successful is that I don't feel that anything is really off the table. I could make some pasta, go buy some ice cream, have some beer, grill a ribeye. I just choose not to. Nothing is necessarily "bad", I just feel better with my current eating plan overall. I don't feel deprived. I don't feel like this is some temporary "diet". I feel like I can eat this way indefinitely.

I do have a question about honey, however. I am still eating honey or agave. Sometimes I make a marinade for my salmon with it, or I may have some in tea. I don't have it every day, but I do have it often enough. Again, I am not worrying too much about it right now, but I did wonder what some of the keto, or no-sugar folks thought about it as part of your type of eating plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 07:28 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Your body does not know the difference between sugars. Honey is slightly better than other sugars. Agave is not the wonder sugar it was made out to be. Go by taste. I like honey for some things, maple syrup for others.

If you cannot see yourself giving up the foods you love you will eventually fail on a diet that does not allow them. Its just a matter of time. However I dont want to discourage you if you like this way of eating. Whatever works is what you should do.

No matter what or how you eat it still comes down to calories. The benefit from going low carb or keto is that your appetite is curbed by the satiating fats. You will naturally eat less following those plans.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:35 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
OP: I was born and raised on pasta and breads and ate both most of my life. I'm 79 now and since I can't burn it all off like I used to be able to I've gotta change somewhere. I've cut out bringing bread into my house now going on 10 yrs probably. I'll eat a Carl's Jr angus burger maybe once a month but do eat a bun.

Pasta, been off it for many years. I know neither of these are good to keep my weight under good control. Good luck and I sometimes do add a little raw honey to my morning coffee and a dab of stevia.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Your body does not know the difference between sugars. Honey is slightly better than other sugars. Agave is not the wonder sugar it was made out to be. Go by taste. I like honey for some things, maple syrup for others.

If you cannot see yourself giving up the foods you love you will eventually fail on a diet that does not allow them. Its just a matter of time. However I dont want to discourage you if you like this way of eating. Whatever works is what you should do.

No matter what or how you eat it still comes down to calories. The benefit from going low carb or keto is that your appetite is curbed by the satiating fats. You will naturally eat less following those plans.

Where did I say that I cannot see myself giving up the foods I love? I said that I feel better about this eating plan because nothing is really off the table. If I want a hamburger or steak or beer or pasta, I'll have it. I even have beer and pasta in my house. If I want some, I'll have it. Most likely I will save this type of food and drink for the occasional dinner out (I don't go out to dinner very often).

I am also not thinking, or obsessing about calories. At least not now, and I hope never. I am thinking of it from the point of view of, what are the best things to eat for my body. And I have to love it too. So I am focusing mostly on leafy greens that I love, chicken (prepared many different ways) and fish, which I love too. If I decide I want a steak or an ice cream cone someday, I will have it. It's just not part of my regular plan right now.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:30 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
Where did I say that I cannot see myself giving up the foods I love? I said that I feel better about this eating plan because nothing is really off the table. If I want a hamburger or steak or beer or pasta, I'll have it. I even have beer and pasta in my house. If I want some, I'll have it. Most likely I will save this type of food and drink for the occasional dinner out (I don't go out to dinner very often).

I am also not thinking, or obsessing about calories. At least not now, and I hope never. I am thinking of it from the point of view of, what are the best things to eat for my body. And I have to love it too. So I am focusing mostly on leafy greens that I love, chicken (prepared many different ways) and fish, which I love too. If I decide I want a steak or an ice cream cone someday, I will have it. It's just not part of my regular plan right now.
I mis understood your post. I was under the impression you were getting rid of those foods. My apologies. I think your attitude towards food is a healthy one. But I would recommend on keeping a loose tally at least on your calorie consumption. They can sneak up fast.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:13 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,091 times
So I'm a successful CICO follower and would suggest that whichever has the smallest calorie impact is the preferred choice.

But I'm also a believer in enjoying those things that really appeal to us only throttling consumption to make sure we stay within a safe calorie range. I love an ice cold beer but tend to avoid them because the 180-250 calories aren't usually worth the price. But even so, every now and again I'll enjoy 1-2 cold ones and not really worry too much about it.

My advice to you is to choose whichever one hits the mark for you as I don't believe their overall nutritional impact varies enough to warrant much concern.

Old 02-20-2018, 01:48 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
The best diet is the one where you're not dieting. You make healthy choices most of the time, and allow yourself unhealthy choices. I'm glad you found an eating plan that you enjoy. The truth is I enjoy food very much, so I need to enjoy what I'm eating. So I eat regularly lots of things. There's only a few things that I can't bring myself to eat unless I'm on vacation.

I know that you may not personally care for beef, but it is not as unhealthy as many think. It's such a good source of iron and at 96/4 is almost as light as chicken. Lean steak is great paired with veggies. I can't get full off that but there are many who can. I really like splitting a pepper and stuffing it with lean ground beef, 1/4 cup cheese and marinara sauce - below 400 calories, +1 for vitamin c and calcium. Yum!

Old 02-20-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
So I'm a successful CICO follower and would suggest that whichever has the smallest calorie impact is the preferred choice.

But I'm also a believer in enjoying those things that really appeal to us only throttling consumption to make sure we stay within a safe calorie range. I love an ice cold beer but tend to avoid them because the 180-250 calories aren't usually worth the price. But even so, every now and again I'll enjoy 1-2 cold ones and not really worry too much about it.

My advice to you is to choose whichever one hits the mark for you as I don't believe their overall nutritional impact varies enough to warrant much concern.
Thanks for your reply. What is "CICO"? I've never heard the term.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
The best diet is the one where you're not dieting. You make healthy choices most of the time, and allow yourself unhealthy choices. I'm glad you found an eating plan that you enjoy. The truth is I enjoy food very much, so I need to enjoy what I'm eating. So I eat regularly lots of things. There's only a few things that I can't bring myself to eat unless I'm on vacation.

I know that you may not personally care for beef, but it is not as unhealthy as many think. It's such a good source of iron and at 96/4 is almost as light as chicken. Lean steak is great paired with veggies. I can't get full off that but there are many who can. I really like splitting a pepper and stuffing it with lean ground beef, 1/4 cup cheese and marinara sauce - below 400 calories, +1 for vitamin c and calcium. Yum!

Oh believe me, I love beef. Too much, in fact. I am not really giving it up, just trying to cut down. A couple of years ago I was eating a lot more of it, probably a couple of times a week. Over the past year, I've pulled that back to where I will eat it maybe a few times a month, give or take. This year, I'm cutting it down even further. Mostly I think I will save it for a once in a while restaurant meal. I did have a bison burger (no bread) this past weekend. So, I'm not completely throwing out red meat, I am just keeping it to a once in a while thing.

Anyway, yes, I am definitely not dieting (god, I even hate that word). I am cleaning up my eating act.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:21 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
Thanks for your reply. What is "CICO"? I've never heard the term.
Calories In Calories Out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss