Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 11:40 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,773,199 times

Advertisements

https://www.barrypopik.com/index.php..._like_the_sun/

BREAD IS LIKE THE SUN, RAISES IN THE YEAST AND SETS IN THE WAIST.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 04-28-2018 at 12:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 12:47 PM

765 posts, read 474,322 times
lol....... as one jammed pack with my "heroin " of choice, bread bread bread and more bread i certainly agree.... and commiserate???? with you.... i did pretty well with this addiction for the past 4 years (it took a diabetes 2 diagnosis to make this drastic change in my eating habits) ....rarely going near and when i did, like with a hamburger or a hotdog roll, i would peel off the top of the buns.... had maybe 4, really, not exaggerating here!! only 4 subs/grinders/hoagies (everyone calls 'em somethin' different! ) in those 4 years.... no pizza cause of the crust (i'd eat the mozzarella and topping, but not the crust)

but alas, all good health intentions seem to waver, you thought your addictions were gone and conquered, and then there you go again, chomping down on dave's killer bread..... ever had it? OMG, it's to die for and i'm having a terrible time (to the tune of 20 extra pounds over the past 2-3 months)

Old 04-28-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceiligrrl View Post
lol....... as one jammed pack with my "heroin " of choice, bread bread bread and more bread i certainly agree.... and commiserate???? with you.... i did pretty well with this addiction for the past 4 years (it took a diabetes 2 diagnosis to make this drastic change in my eating habits) ....rarely going near and when i did, like with a hamburger or a hotdog roll, i would peel off the top of the buns.... had maybe 4, really, not exaggerating here!! only 4 subs/grinders/hoagies (everyone calls 'em somethin' different! ) in those 4 years.... no pizza cause of the crust (i'd eat the mozzarella and topping, but not the crust)

but alas, all good health intentions seem to waver, you thought your addictions were gone and conquered, and then there you go again, chomping down on dave's killer bread..... ever had it? OMG, it's to die for and i'm having a terrible time (to the tune of 20 extra pounds over the past 2-3 months)
I've never had the Dave's bread and not curious for a second. I have no desire for breads. Going out today for early dinner with friend and may have meatloaf dinner which is served with mashed potatoes but I have NOT had white potatoes in months...I may have that or may have a late eggs benedict breakfast, haven't had that treat in many years.

Healthwise, one of their great salads would be best, but I have salads at home a lot.

Last thing I want to deal with with Type 2, arthritis is enough...

Last edited by jaminhealth; 04-28-2018 at 01:37 PM..

Old 04-28-2018, 06:00 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,619,009 times
Bread, more addictive than crack!

Old 04-28-2018, 06:21 PM

14,327 posts, read 11,724,157 times
Sounds like "going wheat-free" is going to be the new "fat-free." Good for a few people, overboard for everybody else.

Old 04-28-2018, 08:10 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,826,116 times
I eat bread and I like Dave's bread. I lost weight while not giving up bread and I maintain my weight by still eating, oh my god, BREAD!

Old 04-29-2018, 06:32 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
I cut out all "white foods" a few months ago, and no, I don't mean "food that white people eat." I mean wheat, sugar, potatoes, rice - and that includes bread and pasta. The crazy thing is that I don't miss it at all now. I mean AT ALL. I've also lost 30 pounds! And my blood work is perfect. I mean, beautifully text book perfect (except for a high platelet count but I have injured my wrist and I think that may account for it). For a formerly chunky post menopausal 56 year old grandma, I am surprised at how easy it has been to shed pounds by getting off mainly wheat (I've added back small portions of rice, sugar - as natural as possible - and even potatoes but the few times I've tried to add back wheat I've blown up like a blowfish).

Last weekend I was out of town with my sister in law and we went to an Irish pub. Of course I had to have a dark beer. Now - other than that I stuck to my guns perfectly. Gained two pounds. Lost them within 48 hours of returning. Now, several times a week I drink a glass of red wine and don't gain an ounce. So I do think that the beer - which was definitely not gluten free - was the culprit. I did find out though that Corona beer is gluten free so next time I'll have one of those!

Old 04-29-2018, 10:17 AM

48,540 posts, read 34,891,275 times
I too eat Dave's bread, but our CostCo (only locally) has one that I like a lot better, it's a soft sprouted grain bread, it's hands down when of the best breads I've had, plus it is low on carbs.

I don't eat a lot of white carbs, never really had. But last night had a lentil soup with ham hocks and lots of veggies.... and mung beans because I was short on lentils.

I'll add quinoa and farro to salads... I'm pretty carb centric when left to my own devices.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-29-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I cut out all "white foods" a few months ago, and no, I don't mean "food that white people eat." I mean wheat, sugar, potatoes, rice - and that includes bread and pasta. The crazy thing is that I don't miss it at all now. I mean AT ALL. I've also lost 30 pounds! And my blood work is perfect. I mean, beautifully text book perfect (except for a high platelet count but I have injured my wrist and I think that may account for it). For a formerly chunky post menopausal 56 year old grandma, I am surprised at how easy it has been to shed pounds by getting off mainly wheat (I've added back small portions of rice, sugar - as natural as possible - and even potatoes but the few times I've tried to add back wheat I've blown up like a blowfish).

Last weekend I was out of town with my sister in law and we went to an Irish pub. Of course I had to have a dark beer. Now - other than that I stuck to my guns perfectly. Gained two pounds. Lost them within 48 hours of returning. Now, several times a week I drink a glass of red wine and don't gain an ounce. So I do think that the beer - which was definitely not gluten free - was the culprit. I did find out though that Corona beer is gluten free so next time I'll have one of those!
I don't miss bread at all and I kinda laugh when I hear people say they "love bread"...I love my romaine lettuce leaves for my substitute bread slices for a snack sandwich. I ate a baked potato yesterday with the meatloaf dinner when I was out but that's it now for months at least. A friend brought me a container of dark choc raisins and cherries from TJ's when I came home from rehab and for a little while I would dip into them but have put the container in the refrig as I've even lost my taste for that sugar. I get plenty of sugar otherwise in more healthy foods. Plus keeping the teeth in good health. Lord knows they suffered when I ate all those carbs most of my early life.

Old 04-29-2018, 04:02 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,673,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

Carb free doesn't mean the same thing as gluten free. You can be on a low carb diet and still eat things with gluten. In fact, it has been said that going gluten free - unless you have celiac disease - is actually harmful. I could post a ton of links, but you might be better off and better informed if you just look it up yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss