Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 06:50 AM

6 posts, read 9,323 times

Advertisements

So for a couple weeks now I’ve been keeping to a very strict low calorie diet and I’m not sure if it is working/will work at all. My diet includes 3 meals a day consisting strictly of eggs, various vege, wholemeal bread, fruits, water and milk. I’m trying to keep under 1400 calories a day and am succeeding at doing this so far. I’m 19 years old and I currently weight around 105 kg and am hoping to lose at least 20 pounds by the end of the year by keeping to this low calorie diet. Most of my meals are mainly toasted sandwiches with (per sandwich) scrambled eggs (1 egg) half a small tomato, lettuce, 1/4 an avocado and a small amount of pepper. I’ve been eating One sandwich for breakfast and two for lunch and dinner with occasional fruits as snacks in between. I’ve been reading a lot online about the downsides of eating too many eggs or too much bread and that it may cause issues with weight loss but am also seeing articles encouraging the use of eggs in a low calorie diet and that it’s nothing to worry about so I’m a little mislead on what to believe at this point. I guess my question is will I reach my goal of getting down to 95kg by the end of this year if I stick to this low calorie diet or will i get nowhere.

Additional info

I do occasionally eat different types of meals like salads and small amounts of meats but most the time I stick to the sandwich recipe.

I’m a male

I weigh 105kg 233 lbs

I’m 6 foot 3 inches
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 07:07 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Calories are calories. I think you will not succeed because you will not be able to stand the monotony.

You can eat a variety of foods and still keep to 1400 calories.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:45 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
I'm no dietician, but 1400 calories sounds low for a 6'3" guy. That's about the recommended allowance for weight loss for an average woman, and the average women has less body mass to sustain. I agree with gentlearts that you're going to get bored, and you're going to get hungry.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:53 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
everything in moderation, including eggs, as far as I'm concerned. i'd eat them regularly but i'm not a big egg person so I don't.

your diet is montonous but some people thrive on structure and eating the same few things day in and day out. my daughter probably eats only twelve food items and is perfectly fine with that.

1400 is low, but maybe you should download a fitness app like lose it or myfitnesspal to find out how much you really should be eating. you're young so you do have youth on your side. you may want to exercise if you don't already to avoid loss of muscle mass.

bread doesn't make you fat but overconsumption (as with anything) isn't a good idea. make sure you can find the most nutritious bread available. personally, most of my carbs come from root vegetables, beans, rice, potatoes (with skin on), pasta (orzo, etc.) i look for at least 3g fiber too. i also eat simple carbs but in smaller number.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:27 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith David View Post
So for a couple weeks now I’ve been keeping to a very strict low calorie diet and I’m not sure if it is working/will work at all. My diet includes 3 meals a day consisting strictly of eggs, various vege, wholemeal bread, fruits, water and milk. I’m trying to keep under 1400 calories a day and am succeeding at doing this so far. I’m 19 years old and I currently weight around 105 kg and am hoping to lose at least 20 pounds by the end of the year by keeping to this low calorie diet. Most of my meals are mainly toasted sandwiches with (per sandwich) scrambled eggs (1 egg) half a small tomato, lettuce, 1/4 an avocado and a small amount of pepper. I’ve been eating One sandwich for breakfast and two for lunch and dinner with occasional fruits as snacks in between. I’ve been reading a lot online about the downsides of eating too many eggs or too much bread and that it may cause issues with weight loss but am also seeing articles encouraging the use of eggs in a low calorie diet and that it’s nothing to worry about so I’m a little mislead on what to believe at this point. I guess my question is will I reach my goal of getting down to 95kg by the end of this year if I stick to this low calorie diet or will i get nowhere.

Additional info

I do occasionally eat different types of meals like salads and small amounts of meats but most the time I stick to the sandwich recipe.

I’m a male

I weigh 105kg 233 lbs

I’m 6 foot 3 inches
Two weeks? You've barely started and already questioning progress. Your expectations for such a strict regimen are probably off.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:22 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,016,445 times
I have a fairly monotonous diet as well. I mix things up for dinner, but have a few standard dinner items that I really love. I also mix things up on the weekends a bit. I've been doing this for years and haven't gotten bored yet. It probably helps that I love just about every food I eat, except maybe the vegetables. But I consider them a hummus delivery system!

I also aim for 1400-1600 calories per day, and I also eat an egg a day on weekdays. I'd consider whether you might be aiming a bit low on the calories for healthy weight loss. But add a couple varieties of healthy snacks to mix things up and you could be good!

Old 10-15-2018, 05:09 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
OP: You say sandwich...do you mean two slices of bread. Cutting out breads and other white foods are a guarantee for weight loss. Use leaves of green romaine other lettuce for sandwich wraps. A friend did this and got rid of 80 lbs in about a year.

Old 10-15-2018, 05:54 PM

I do of course eat other meals. brown rice vegetarian pizzas and other things but I stick to the sandwich meal bc it’s easier for me and cheaper. I live a very busy lifestyle and don’t find those foods to be monotonous whatsoever. I actually really like the foods I’m currently eating. I’m just wondering if there’s anything I should be worried about that could hinder weight loss and if I could potentially be wasting my time with this diet by doing something I shouldn’t be.

Old 10-15-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Two weeks? You've barely started and already questioning progress. Your expectations for such a strict regimen are probably off.

I’m fully aware I’ve just started. The reason I’m asking is I’m just curious as to whether or not there is something I shouldn’t the doing that could hinder weight loss. That’s why I set my goal for the end of the year.

Old 10-15-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
I have a fairly monotonous diet as well. I mix things up for dinner, but have a few standard dinner items that I really love. I also mix things up on the weekends a bit. I've been doing this for years and haven't gotten bored yet. It probably helps that I love just about every food I eat, except maybe the vegetables. But I consider them a hummus delivery system!

I also aim for 1400-1600 calories per day, and I also eat an egg a day on weekdays. I'd consider whether you might be aiming a bit low on the calories for healthy weight loss. But add a couple varieties of healthy snacks to mix things up and you could be good!
Do you see progress in weight loss with your diet? I really enjoy the foods I eat too so I’m unlikely to get bored or sick of the foods I eat luckily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss