Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 02:25 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,908,995 times

Advertisements

I'm going to start doing a weekly 41 hr. Extended Fast: Saturday, 2:00 p.m. to Monday, 7:00 a.m.

Sat. 2 p.m. to 7 p.m.=5 hrs.
Sat. 7 p.m. to Sun. 7 a.m. =12 hrs.
Sun-Mon 7 a.m. to 7 a.m. =24 hrs.

This is in conjunction with a (vegan) OMAD, 22:2 I've been doing for a couple of months.
What may I expect? What effect might this have? Water only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2018, 02:34 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Otherwise healthy? Nothing really.

Longest fast I've done was around 36 hours. Ate dinner around 6-8, then forgot to eat for a day, had breakfast somewhere around 6-8. I've done that a few times. Neither 36-42 hours is a very long fast. A healthy person is generally fine fasting for a 7-10 days, longer than that probably better to do it with medical supervision.

Old 11-03-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Otherwise healthy? Nothing really.

Longest fast I've done was around 36 hours. Ate dinner around 6-8, then forgot to eat for a day, had breakfast somewhere around 6-8. I've done that a few times.
Well, it can't be nothing, or what would be the point? I'm thinking enhanced autophagy.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Well, it can't be nothing, or what would be the point? I'm thinking enhanced autophagy.
Unkown, insufficient evidence really.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full...7.2016.1271513

That would suggest minimum 2 days. If you want some effect, 3 would be a better number. But really it's speculative. That was an attempt to find a noninvasive test to see of autophagy was occurring. It wasn't all that successful as it only works for extracellular plasma, doesn't show much of anything about intracellular. There might be but it doesn't prove or disprove it.

Using that and a lot of conjecture, if that's your goal I would say do a 3 to 4 day fast at regular intervals, perhaps every other week or once a month. 16/8 IF is a popular fad diet for increased autophagy. There's no scientific basis to it, but it's so poorly understood that doesn't mean all that much.

Old 11-03-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Unkown, insufficient evidence really.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full...7.2016.1271513

That would suggest minimum 2 days. If you want some effect, 3 would be a better number. But really it's speculative. That was an attempt to find a noninvasive test to see of autophagy was occurring. It wasn't all that successful as it only works for extracellular plasma, doesn't show much of anything about intracellular. There might be but it doesn't prove or disprove it.

Using that and a lot of conjecture, if that's your goal I would say do a 3 to 4 day fast at regular intervals, perhaps every other week or once a month. 16/8 IF is a popular fad diet for increased autophagy. There's no scientific basis to it, but it's so poorly understood that doesn't mean all that much.
No scientific evidence? Well, there's always that pesky research by Yoshinori Ohsumi, for which he was given the Nobel Prize in 2016. But it's easy to try and sound deliberative and knowledgeable, much harder to actually be convincing.

Old 11-03-2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
No scientific evidence? Well, there's always that pesky research by Yoshinori Ohsumi, for which he was given the Nobel Prize in 2016. But it's easy to try and sound deliberative and knowledgeable, much harder to actually be convincing.
His work was not on humans. He studied yeast and then mice. The time it takes for yeast, mice, and humans to react to nutrient deprivation are different. Fasting really wasn't his focus. It was nutrient deprivation. Fasting is just a way to accomplish that. He developed a working model which other people have gone and built upon.

I'm not a used car salesmen or fad diet peddler. I have no interest in being convincing. I just try to be informative. If you want someone to convince you that 16:8 IF results in increased autophagy despite a lack of any (that I am aware of) research to indicate it, I'm not the person to expect that from. I'm just pointing to research that indicates that in humans there is some support for increased autophagy from nutrient deprivation in 2-4 day fasting. It's limited support. They were trying to find a non-invasive way of seeing if increased autophagy was occurring but weren't truly successful in that.

Invasive methods show that 24-48 hour fasting in mice does increase autophagy. Their non-invasive methodology also showed evidence of increased extracellular autophagy in mice in 24-48 hour fasting but not in intracellular. It also showed similar evidence of extracellular autophagy in 2-4 days in humans, but again not intracellular. That doesn't mean it's not happening. It just means what they were looking at for non-invasive biological markers doesn't show it happening at the intracellular level. It doesn't mean it's not happening, just that they aren't able to show it is with the non-invasive methods.

Basically, the non-invasive method the study I linked could be one of two things. 1) Even though it doesn't show increased intracellular autophagy it's happening at the same time, just the markers they're looking at don't show it. 2) It's coincidental and doesn't mean anything at all and they're barking up the wrong tree.

If it's (1) then it supports 2-4 days for humans. If it's (2), well, back to square one. Nobody knows. That's why I'll never say that 16:8 IF absent caloric deficit doesn't work. It might work. There's just no evidence it does. Again, I'm always open to credible scientific evidence but I've not come across any. Going back to (1), however, is why I would say periodic 3-4 day fasts. That's really the best available science at the time. It's hard to get human volunteers to start chopping up and looking at so don't expect the kind of detail you'll get from mice studies in humans anytime soon.

Last edited by Malloric; 11-03-2018 at 10:56 PM..

Old 11-04-2018, 01:44 AM

Mmm, I wasn't referring to you.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:00 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,512,636 times
Quote:
I'm going to start doing a weekly 41 hr. Extended Fast: Saturday, 2:00 p.m. to Monday, 7:00 a.m.

Sat. 2 p.m. to 7 p.m.=5 hrs.
Sat. 7 p.m. to Sun. 7 a.m. =12 hrs.
Sun-Mon 7 a.m. to 7 a.m. =24 hrs.

This is in conjunction with a (vegan) OMAD, 22:2 I've been doing for a couple of months.
What may I expect? What effect might this have? Water only.
Effect ?
You'll be hungry and irritable.
It's why domestic violence among Muslims spikes during Ramadan.
Quite why anyone wants to adopt the diet of a concentration camp is beyond me.
Why not just eat sensibly and do some exercise ?

Old 11-05-2018, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Effect ?
You'll be hungry and irritable.
It's why domestic violence among Muslims spikes during Ramadan.
Quite why anyone wants to adopt the diet of a concentration camp is beyond me.
Why not just eat sensibly and do some exercise ?
You're referring to the old "eat less/exercise more" model, where the failure rate ("dieters" lose weight but then promptly gain it back, plus some), is in the high 90's. Historically, it doesn't work. Fasting is not the same as starvation, and hunger doesn't increase indefinitely, but subsides.

Google: Autophagy, Yoshinori Ohsumi, Dr. Jason Fung

Old 11-05-2018, 06:26 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Google fasting and autophagy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss