Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 09:59 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times

Advertisements

Here are links to best and worst diets according to US News and World Report.
Disclaimer:
By posting these diets I not trying to make a point - I just thought some people may want to check them out.
Everyone is different so what works for some may not work for others.

https://health.usnews.com/best-diet/best-diets-overall
The Livestrong site is using US News.
https://www.livestrong.com/slideshow/13709042-the-10-worst-diets-you-shouldnt-waste-your-time-on/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 01:18 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,196,397 times
Some are just short term solutions,some are lifestyle changes. Mine requires a lifestyle change that some can’t stick to ,so I can see why it would be viewed as possibly the worst. Having lost 30lbs on paleo, despite not being obsessively rigid , I’m happy to find something that works for me.

Old 04-02-2019, 01:40 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
The best diets aren't planned, and have no name.

The worst diets are easy to see, as they are all around us.

Named diets, as with the US News and World Report, are about selling and religion.

Old 04-02-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
The best diets aren't planned, and have no name.

The worst diets are easy to see, as they are all around us.

Named diets, as with the US News and World Report, are about selling and religion.
They are not selling anything. They are just giving us a rundown of what diets people use. I don't know where religion comes into it.

Americans have terrible everyday diets. There is nothing wrong with changing unhealthy eating habits.

Some people choose a diet to lose weight and then modify that diet to maintain that weight.

Old 04-02-2019, 04:17 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
They are not selling anything. They are just giving us a rundown of what diets people use. I don't know where religion comes into it.

Americans have terrible everyday diets. There is nothing wrong with changing unhealthy eating habits.

Some people choose a diet to lose weight and then modify that diet to maintain that weight.
I believe the reference to religion was meant to convey that people become indoctrinated into a certain approach and then swear by its validity.

The zealotry often displayed by the Keto and IF camps is sometimes creepy.

And people rarely follow a prescriptive eating plan and then transition successfully into long term maintenance mode. Most people follow a rigid program, achieve their desired fitness goals and then begin a slow slide back to whence they came. That's why I despise any approach that has a name and/or is supported by books.

The very best approach is to forge a meaningful understanding between what we consume and the impact it has on our bodies. At its purest form you can call what I'm describing as CICO, but the truth is, that oversimplifies it and portends to a get-thin-quick scheme. While I rely on the estimated caloric value of foods I consume to drive my decision making, that's only part of it. I also target foods that fill me up and provide me with the nutrients my body needs. I refer to what I've used successfully as mindful eating, but that's just me.

Until one learns how to make sensible and responsible food choices they will struggle to achieve a sustainable level of fitness. No prescriptive eating plan does that for you, no matter what they promise.

Old 04-02-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
I believe the reference to religion was meant to convey that people become indoctrinated into a certain approach and then swear by its validity.

The zealotry often displayed by the Keto and IF camps is sometimes creepy.

And people rarely follow a prescriptive eating plan and then transition successfully into long term maintenance mode. Most people follow a rigid program, achieve their desired fitness goals and then begin a slow slide back to whence they came. That's why I despise any approach that has a name and/or is supported by books.

The very best approach is to forge a meaningful understanding between what we consume and the impact it has on our bodies. At its purest form you can call what I'm describing as CICO, but the truth is, that oversimplifies it and portends to a get-thin-quick scheme. While I rely on the estimated caloric value of foods I consume to drive my decision making, that's only part of it. I also target foods that fill me up and provide me with the nutrients my body needs. I refer to what I've used successfully as mindful eating, but that's just me.

Until one learns how to make sensible and responsible food choices they will struggle to achieve a sustainable level of fitness. No prescriptive eating plan does that for you, no matter what they promise.
I agree 100% with everything you say. I think it is telling that the number one way of eating is the Mediterranean diet which is basically eating from all the food groups emphasizing fresh, whole, foods and healthy fats. That is the way I eat all the time. If I want to drop a few pounds I just eat less.

And I could not agree more with the creepiness of the the Keto and IF fanatics. Maybe being a fanatic is the only way they can continue eating that way.

Old 04-02-2019, 05:56 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,896,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I agree 100% with everything you say. I think it is telling that the number one way of eating is the Mediterranean diet which is basically eating from all the food groups emphasizing fresh, whole, foods and healthy fats. That is the way I eat all the time. If I want to drop a few pounds I just eat less.

And I could not agree more with the creepiness of the the Keto and IF fanatics. Maybe being a fanatic is the only way they can continue eating that way.
The Mediterranean diet does make sense since it emphasizes moderation as well It certainly seems to be much healthier than a lot of the fad diets coming out and I have a friend who lost 80 + lbs and has kept it off by switching to a Mediterranean diet.

We have a Keto dieter at work and he won't let us forget it. We have frequent lunches/potlucks and he is the one flipping out because there is --gasp-- BREAD! We accommodate this guy by having things he can eat but then he went too far one day and started to try and lecture me on the evils of carbs. Even if I wasn't the HR manager I still would have nicely let him know that I didn't want to hear it, nobody else wants to hear it while they eat, and please just enjoy the luncheon. LOL

Old 04-03-2019, 05:04 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
We have a Keto dieter at work and he won't let us forget it. We have frequent lunches/potlucks and he is the one flipping out because there is --gasp-- BREAD!
Geez.
This person should bring something they can eat and if someone else brings something they can eat, have that too.

I wouldn't participate in any lunch or potluck because I don't eat at work.

Old 04-03-2019, 06:18 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
The Mediterranean diet does make sense since it emphasizes moderation as well It certainly seems to be much healthier than a lot of the fad diets coming out and I have a friend who lost 80 + lbs and has kept it off by switching to a Mediterranean diet.

We have a Keto dieter at work and he won't let us forget it. We have frequent lunches/potlucks and he is the one flipping out because there is --gasp-- BREAD! We accommodate this guy by having things he can eat but then he went too far one day and started to try and lecture me on the evils of carbs. Even if I wasn't the HR manager I still would have nicely let him know that I didn't want to hear it, nobody else wants to hear it while they eat, and please just enjoy the luncheon. LOL
One of the guardrails I rely on and strongly advocate for is that whatever approach you rely upon to lose/maintain weight, it has to allow you to partake in any social or business function without creating friction.

My personal rule is that if someone makes or bakes something for me I will at least sample it as a show of appreciation. Most people in my life accept that I tend to avoid complex carbohydrates, but if you're baking a birthday cake I'm having a slice. It's going to be a paper-thin slice, but a slice just the same.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:27 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
The zealotry often displayed by the Keto and IF camps is sometimes creepy..
I agree with this wholeheartedly. It's creepy and weird when someone 1) will not stop taking about their diet, no matter what 2) insists that everyone else eat the same way they do, 3) criticize people who don't eat the same way. There's a group at my church who try to force everyone else to eat gluten-free. It's getting old being around these people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss